Aftermarket SatNav Fitting

Got a question about your ALPINA ask it here !
You've got the car now you need to know something, techincal advice, specific questions etc.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

bmw virgin
ALPIN
ALPIN

Aftermarket SatNav Fitting

Post by bmw virgin » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:42 pm

Hi All!

I was given a new toy for Christmas....a Garmin Nuvi 2460LMT satnav!

I would like to have the unit fitted so that the power supply & traffic receiver wire are less conspicuous and blend in the with the Alpina interior. I’m sure the power cable could be routed below the dash to a fused power supply but am not sure if the traffic receiver wire could be teed into the radio Ariel?

I’m wary of doing the job myself through fear of damaging the trim, so has anyone had this job done or can anyone recommend an auto electrician/ice installer in the West Midlands area?

Thanks in Advance!

Colin
Colin
2004 Titanium Silver E46 Alpina B3s Coupe #090 - Sold
2014 Black Sapphire F32 Alpina B4BT Coupe #16

bfive
A
A

Sat Nav

Post by bfive » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:38 pm

I have had a company called acousticar do all my equipment, they installed a road pilot, front camera and garage openers to my B5, a blue tooth kit and sat nav in my daily driver, Multi Media in X5 and they did a first class job on each occasion, being VERY careful to put exactly where I wanted and avoid any damage to the trim, dash etc. if you are interest PM me and I will give you the chaps mobile number

joylove
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by joylove » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:26 pm

You'll need to tell him you have a FAKRA FM antenna connection with 12V DC on it, and the nav probably needs 2.5mm.

He'll probably need to order in the right adaptor which will take some time and are about 10 pounds on eBay if they make them.

bmw virgin
ALPIN
ALPIN

Post by bmw virgin » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:01 pm

@bfive: No need to pm you, found acousticar's web site.....they sound very good, although I could do with them being closer to Birmingham!

Will give them a call on Monday....Thanks!

@Joylove: Thanks for the info, I'll bear the Fakra in mind! :lol:

In the mean time, is there anyone else who can recommend an ICE installer near to Birmingham?
Colin

bmw virgin
ALPIN
ALPIN

Post by bmw virgin » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:51 am

Took the car to Ultimate Audio, Bromsgrove to have the Satnav wired directly to the fuse panel.....a nice tidy job! :D
Didn't need to do anything with the wire for the traffic reports, apart from running it out of site at the back of the dashboard by the windscreen.

Colin