E46 B3S Instruments all over the place and won't start

Got a question about your ALPINA ask it here !
You've got the car now you need to know something, techincal advice, specific questions etc.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

davettf2
AL
AL

Re: E46 B3S Instruments all over the place and won't start

Post by davettf2 » Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:26 am

Gentlefolk

Autophix 7910 code reader acquired which is giving the following error codes:

Engine
83 Signal CAN Instrument Cluster
84 Signal CAN Instrument Cluster
D1 Anti-tamper EWS

EWS 0F Power on reset
DSC 5E1E Steering angle sensor CAN

BM Onboard monitor 03 Radio Station telegram timeout
Instrument Cluster Communication Error.

This I believe gives me a reasonable guide to the instrument cluster being at fault. I have sourced some connectors from ebay which should allow me to power up the cluster on the bench. As I understand for the white 26 pin connector:
pin 1 Ground (0V)
Pin 4 Fuse 43 Basic instrument cluster power (12V)
Pin 5 Fuse 34 Instrument panel power (12V) Activated when either ignition is on or Aux (need to sort that!)
Pin 6 Fuse 10 Instrument panel power (12V) Activated when either ignition is on or Aux (need to sort that!)

Once the connectors have arrived will remove the cluster and do some verifying before playing with the cluster.

If the cluster is faulty, any recommendations as to either where to get this done, or should I a normal S/H E46 330i cluster and swop parts.

Cheers
Dave

davettf2
AL
AL

Post by davettf2 » Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:32 pm

Gentlefolk

A further update after this mornings playing with the instrument cluster!

Took some photos of what I'm seeing, attachment shows Key OFF, Key Aux and Key ON.

Verified that Pin1 is ground and that 12V is permanent on Pin4, Aux applies 12V to Pin 6, Key ON applies 12V to Pin 5.

Removed the cluster and applied 12V across Pins 1&4, 1&4-5 and pins 1&4/6.

When on the bench absolutely no current is being drawn at any point.

Took the back off the cluster, nothing apparently 'burnt or damaged'.

Time to think about what to do next, thoughts appreciated.

Cheers and enjoy Sytner tomorrow
Dave
Attachments
Key ON.JPG
Key ON.JPG (5.47 MiB) Viewed 643 times
Key OFF.JPG
Key OFF.JPG (6.32 MiB) Viewed 643 times
Key Aux.JPG
Key Aux.JPG (6.31 MiB) Viewed 643 times

davettf2
AL
AL

Post by davettf2 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:23 pm

Yet another update. Progress, of sorts, my facebook post brought several people to recommend AKspeedo.com. Which I did this morning. Really impressed with the response, so much better than two I had easily found on the internet (one never replied and one went quiet after I submitted a video of the issue).

Anyway Keith at AKspeedo responded within 30 minutes and after several e-mails going through the data he is convinced the cluster is goosed. However he has indicated that he can clone a donor cluster with my data, recalibrate and swop the Alpina specific facia, needles, etc.
Thus I am searching for a suitable cluster, it must have the same hardware (21.0) and software (31.0). These are on the Bosch label attached to the display. I have attached a photo of the label with the crucial figures ringed. If anybody has such they are willing to part with (beer tokens available!) I would be extremely grateful.
Attachments
Bosch Label.jpg
Bosch Label.jpg (1.01 MiB) Viewed 620 times

JohnW
ALPIN
ALPIN

Post by JohnW » Fri May 06, 2022 4:28 am

Looks like you’ve nailed the problem there, not a simple fix but probably cheaper than a new cluster and the company sounds good too for fixing car electronics.
JohnW
2008 B3 BiTurbo Coupe #161
Previous: 2011 D3 BiTurbo Saloon #373, 2014 F30 320iX M Saloon, 2009 M3 DCT Coupe, 2008 B3 BiTurbo Coupe #074, 2009 E82 123d Coupe, 2006 E92 325i Coupe, 2002 E46 325iSE Coupe, 1998 E36 318iSE Saloon

davettf2
AL
AL

Post by davettf2 » Tue May 24, 2022 4:11 pm

Gentlefolk

An update on progress.

Firstly, very many thank to AKspeedo in Stirling for a superb service and repairing the the original unit by cloning a suitable donor (more on that below). Also many thanks to Barry and Stephen, both on Facebook, for suggesting AKspeedo.

So, I now have a fully working instrument cluster with the exception of the gear selection display (All clusters with the same HW and SW are not equal, its important to get a matching manual or auto). Will sort that and redo when an auto cluster has been sourced.

The other interesting thing was that the vehicle VIN number embedded in the display is that of the 'donor' car not the Alpina issued VIN. Again, AKspeedo were on the ball and contacted me to verify the necessary VIN number.

Thus I'm happily mobile again.

Cheers
Dave

TonyB

Post by TonyB » Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:05 am

Hi Dave,

Great post and my apologies for jumping in on this, as I to have the same problem on an E46 B3s instrument cluster. I had hoped that ATC Drivetrain were able to fix it, but received some bad news this morning that they're unable to repair it. They do not offer a donor/swapping service, so as I am completely clueless on all car electrical things, I would really appreciate the next steps I should take in getting my B3s back on the road.

So should I simply contact AKspeedo and go from there or are there any initial steps I need to do.

Many thanks in advance for your assistance.
Tony B

RR Sport Autobiography 4.4SD V8 2017
BMW M4 Conv 2015
BMW 530D M Sport Touring 2015 - gone but not forgotten
Porsche Cayenne S - gone but not forgotten

davettf2
AL
AL

Post by davettf2 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:55 pm

Hi Tony
AK speedo are great, but you will need to get a donor cluster from a normal E46 auto (i'm assuming yours is auto) with the same soft and hardware configuration. There is a label on the back of your cluster like the attached photo which gives the details you need. But the donor cluster MUST BE from an auto. Manual clusters do not have the LEDs for the auto box display.

Very easy to remove your cluster, 2 screws at the top, steering column full down and out and you have more than enough room to remove and unlock the connectors.

Hope all goes well

Cheers
Dave
Attachments
Alpina B3S Cluster label.jpg
Alpina B3S Cluster label.jpg (72.63 KiB) Viewed 365 times