E60 B5 (Base motor: N62B44A) oil pump chain drive tension

Got a question about your ALPINA ask it here !
You've got the car now you need to know something, techincal advice, specific questions etc.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

Kyle
ALPIN
ALPIN

E60 B5 (Base motor: N62B44A) oil pump chain drive tension

Post by Kyle » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:19 pm

Hey Folks,

Per subject,

I've got my B5 in the workshop right now for replacement of the lower and upper oil sump seals/gaskets as there was excessive oil leak/weep picked up in the TÜV/MOT inspection.

My car is the E60 B5 (Base motor: N62B44A).

I've noted there is a fair amount of play in the oil pump drive chain, and wondering if anyone here with experience on repair and maintenance of the N62 motor can offer advice on the tension of this chain.

Its not a timing chain, so one would expect some play to be normal, but what is the +/- normal tolerance?

I've asked the factory, but interested to hear views and experience from the public domain too, plus share the learning/knowledge for others in the future.

Here (link) is a short vid demonstrating the play in the chain.

WINNE1
ALPI
ALPI

Re: E60 B5 (Base motor: N62B44A) oil pump chain drive tension

Post by WINNE1 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:57 pm

Don't know about the tolerance but it looks a bit dry!
B6 convertible 4.4 black with silver decals .
B5 saloon 4.4 black with silver decals .

Kyle
ALPIN
ALPIN

Re: E60 B5 (Base motor: N62B44A) oil pump chain drive tension

Post by Kyle » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:09 pm

WINNE1 wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:57 pm
Don't know about the tolerance but it looks a bit dry!
aye, you're not wrong, my understanding of the mechanics of the sump, is that under normal operations that whole shaft is drenched in oil returning from the upper motor areas. So i think it takes care of the concern.

Buchloe confirmed that this tension is OK for the N62B44A, and a poster on the German forum suggested that the tension might increase a bit with pressure/drive, hence the slack.

I also got a reply from a N52 owner who said he had similar tension at similar mileage.

So I think that closes the case for now. :dance