To do's with a 'new' used B10

Thinking of Buying one - ask your questions here.
Buying guides, Specific questions about a car, or about a particular model, ALPINA characteristics.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

BarryM
ALPINA
ALPINA

To do's with a 'new' used B10

Post by BarryM » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:01 am

I'm looking at a V8 B10 that's got a good service history up until the last 18 months when it gets a bit vague (mileage around 110k). Generally the car seems sound but what should I look to do if I go ahead?

Oil & filter change, gearbox oil change - any other obvious preventative maintenance (I'm happy the HG isn't an issue)...

cheers
Barry.

Ikule
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Ikule » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:13 pm

Have a good check of the cooling system, especially the radiator as it is a known weak point, it would be worth changing the diff oil as it often gets forgotten about.
The body issue the Alpina E39 B10's suffer from is that the raised rear spoiler mounting holes at the edge of the bootlid suffer corrosion,
so if this car still has its original spoiler open the bootlid and check the fixing points (a lot of them have been repaired under warranty and just had the M5 spoiler bonded on instead or been left unspoilered)........then negotiate accordingly :wink:
To check if it is a gennuine Alpina and not a fake, the BMW chassis number on the drivers side front suspension turret will have a large cross struck through it with the Alpina chassis number stamped above it,
the last two or three numbers of the Alpina number are also on the build plaque as the cars individual number.
Hope that helps and good luck.
Steve C

'98 B10 3.2 #88 (for summer cruising)
'04 Mini Cooper S (commuting/sacrificial shopping trolley target....)
'94 325i Coupe SOLD
'88 Vauxhall Senator 3.0i SOLD
'90 Astra MkII GTE 16V (Turbo conversion) SOLD

BarryM
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by BarryM » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:37 am

Thanks for the advice Steve, I had a couple on my list but the diff would have been missed.

An Alpina owner I spoke to down here suggested using Olive Green Motors (http://www.olivegreenmotors.co.uk) in Portsmouth for servicing etc, does anyone know of them or can suggest a good independant in the area with Alpina history?