Considering a B3 3.3 touring purchase

Thinking of Buying one - ask your questions here.
Buying guides, Specific questions about a car, or about a particular model, ALPINA characteristics.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

asp
ALP
ALP

Considering a B3 3.3 touring purchase

Post by asp » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:38 pm

Hello,

potential new Alpina owner here..

I've been hankering after a B3 for a while, especially a touring. Trouble is they're rare but I've found one! It's:

http://www.theALPINAregister.com/B3/3.3/estate/89

I've been to view it and it looks in great condition, my problems are that the chassis no isn't matching up with what's on file at Sytners, despite the last 5 digits being the same... The HPI check comes back with a 3.3litre BMW estate, but the rest of the numbers are matching. There was some confusion when I took the numbers down from under the bonnet, so got the owner to forward me what's in the log-book, but still no match.

I'd normally be running a mile by now, but I'm aware it's not so straight forward with Alpina's (well I imagine that's the case, having to cross out the BMW numbers isn't the most reassuring start), so I'm not giving up.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this situation before? I'm desperate to get the car, it's perfect for me and I've wanted something like this for 4/5yrs. I'm worried I'm letting that sway me from my normal opinion.

Thanks in advance :D

Araf
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Araf » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:46 pm

That car has been for sale for at least 6 months, and was up for £7995 when I first saw it. It's also moved from a dealer in South Wales, to one in Yorkshire. I think it's down to about £5k now, and has at last had a good polish (from the photos).

The car should have two chassis numbers stamped on the off-side front suspension turret. The top one will be crossed through. This is the BMW chassis number, and will correspond to the one in view at the bottom of the windscreen.

The one on the turret below the crossed out number is the Alpina Chassis number, and should be the same as the one in the log book.

Before going further, I would go back and check the numbers carefully. After that, proceed.

I think the price is very tempting now. Good luck. :)
B3 3.3

ade and liz flint
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by ade and liz flint » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:51 pm

Araf beat me to it, but yes that appears to be the same one we've discussed on here previously. Looks much tidier now - maybe a little more than a polish taken place?

Re VIN numbers....get both down accurately as they'll both be recorded in BMW/Alpina records.

Good luck, and don't get too overexcited just in case. Feedback any findings on this one - it may help a future interested party if it's not right.
Current:
23MY Porsche Macan GTS in Papaya
23MY Cupra Born V3 77kW in Aurora

Previously loved:
ALPINA: E91 B3SBiturbo #127, E92 B3SBiturbo #285, E90 D3Biturbo #097, E85 Roadster S #168 & variety of 'beige' 4 and 6-cyl BMW lumps.
PORSCHE: Macan S, Cayman 981 S, Cayman 981 GTS

asp
ALP
ALP

Post by asp » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:58 pm

Araf wrote:That car has been for sale for at least 6 months, and was up for £7995 when I first saw it. It's also moved from a dealer in South Wales, to one in Yorkshire. I think it's down to about £5k now, and has at last had a good polish (from the photos).

The car should have two chassis numbers stamped on the off-side front suspension turret. The top one will be crossed through. This is the BMW chassis number, and will correspond to the one in view at the bottom of the windscreen.

The one on the turret below the crossed out number is the Alpina Chassis number, and should be the same as the one in the log book.

Before going further, I would go back and check the numbers carefully. After that, proceed.

I think the price is very tempting now. Good luck. :)
Thanks Araf :wink:

The seller it told me pretty much that was it's history, and I knew it had been for sale for considerably more a while ago, I saw it at £6500. There is a gap in the S.H. from 45k to 70k, however there's a good stack of receipts and a lot of main dealer service stamps, not that main dealer stamps actually mean anything to me!

It feels in great condition for a 10yr old car, it's just with the numbers not tallying I'm feeling a bit nervous. I'm thinking though it could be down to the individual at Sytners I'm talking with. I'm going back to check the numbers, bit of a drive but it's worth it. There are two numbers, with the top one crossed out. Annoyingly I took a picture on my iphone but it's deleted it :x

asp
ALP
ALP

Post by asp » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:07 pm

ade and liz flint wrote:Araf beat me to it, but yes that appears to be the same one we've discussed on here previously. Looks much tidier now - maybe a little more than a polish taken place?

Re VIN numbers....get both down accurately as they'll both be recorded in BMW/Alpina records.

Good luck, and don't get too overexcited just in case. Feedback any findings on this one - it may help a future interested party if it's not right.
Thanks as well!

It does look in good condition now. It's had a bit of paint touchup on the spoiler, and a couple of other bits. The seller was being quite open, I think... he said he'd bought it as he's a part-time dealer for a friend who was unable to complete on the sale. It was bought from S.Wales I think he said. He ended up letting his wife use it for a bit, and did some simple maintenance on it, tyres, paint etc etc.

I was thinking though, if the HPi check on the no plate does come back as a BMW 3.3 estate, which it does, how can the other numbers be wrong? There's no other BMW of that description it could be, apart from a B10... This is what confuse me most of all. I can only think it's possibly had a blown engine and had a replacement fitted. If so, why hide that?

Araf
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Araf » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:19 pm

asp wrote:I was thinking though, if the HPi check on the no plate does come back as a BMW 3.3 estate, which it does, how can the other numbers be wrong?
I've just realised - I don't think that's a UK car, and that's why you're not getting the numbers coming up with Sytners.

Though it's a 2001 car, it wasn't registered in the UK until 1st May 2002, so if that was first registration, it should be on an '02' plate.
It's also incorrectly registered as a BMW - which can often happen with personal imports.

Back in 2002, the £ was strong and cars were scarce (and therefore priced highly), so many prestige cars were sourced in Cyprus.

You may need to contact Alpina in Buchloe for the car's history.
B3 3.3

asp
ALP
ALP

Post by asp » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:52 pm

Araf wrote:
asp wrote:I was thinking though, if the HPi check on the no plate does come back as a BMW 3.3 estate, which it does, how can the other numbers be wrong?
I've just realised - I don't think that's a UK car, and that's why you're not getting the numbers coming up with Sytners.

Though it's a 2001 car, it wasn't registered in the UK until 1st May 2002, so if that was first registration, it should be on an '02' plate.
It's also incorrectly registered as a BMW - which can often happen with personal imports.

Back in 2002, the £ was strong and cars were scarce (and therefore priced highly), so many prestige cars were sourced in Cyprus.

You may need to contact Alpina in Buchloe for the car's history.
Thanks! That makes sense and could explain Sytners lack of knowledge of the car. It hadn't occurred to me it could be an import, heaven knows what that'll do to the insurance.. I'll contact the factory tomorrow.

Handily one of my best friends lives in Buchloe, and was hoping to drive to him in a few weeks in the Alpina, but that's tempting fate!

ade and liz flint
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by ade and liz flint » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:58 pm

Here is one of the old forum chats on this car:-
http://thealpinaregister.com/forums/vie ... php?t=9916
Current:

Previously loved:
ALPINA: E91 B3SBiturbo #127, E92 B3SBiturbo #285, E90 D3Biturbo #097, E85 Roadster S #168 & variety of 'beige' 4 and 6-cyl BMW lumps.

asp
ALP
ALP

Post by asp » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:05 am

ade and liz flint wrote:Here is one of the old forum chats on this car:-
http://thealpinaregister.com/forums/vie ... php?t=9916
Thanks Ade :wink:

Got to say this forum is very welcoming and helpful! Even if I don't get this one, I more than likely will be getting an Alpina and knowing this is here is very reassuring.

asp
ALP
ALP

Post by asp » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:34 am

Got to love German efficiency!

Emailed the factory at around mid-night, received just now the full build sheet and options list. It probably is as Ade said and was an import, I'm sure it might say on the document but my German isn't so hot. I'll get my friend (ironically in Buchloe) to translate it all.

Onwards and upwards, 2nd visit tomorrow..
Last edited by asp on Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Scorchio
ALPI
ALPI

Post by Scorchio » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:39 am

asp wrote:
Emailed them at around mid-night, received just now the full build sheet and options list.
Who did you e-mail to get this info?
asp wrote:It probably is as Ade said and was an import, I'm sure it might say on the document but my German isn't so hot. I'll get my friend (ironically in Buchloe) to translate it all.
If you can't wait: send me a copy.
2002 B3 3.3 #588

asp
ALP
ALP

Post by asp » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:47 am

Scorchio wrote:
asp wrote:
Emailed them at around mid-night, received just now the full build sheet and options list.
Who did you e-mail to get this info?
asp wrote:It probably is as Ade said and was an import, I'm sure it might say on the document but my German isn't so hot. I'll get my friend (ironically in Buchloe) to translate it all.
If you can't wait: send me a copy.
Sorry, just edited. I emailed the factory. Send via PM?

ade and liz flint
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by ade and liz flint » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:56 am

Can't take that credit - Araf got that! And how lucky that Scorchio is around just at the right time.... 8)
Current:

Previously loved:

Scorchio
ALPI
ALPI

Post by Scorchio » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:08 pm

asp wrote: Sorry, just edited. I emailed the factory. Send via PM?
zefactory@alpina.de ? :D

PM is fine.
2002 B3 3.3 #588

asp
ALP
ALP

Post by asp » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:54 pm

ade and liz flint wrote:Can't take that credit - Araf got that! And how lucky that....
My fail, sorry Araf!