Place to discuss your non-ALPINA car / problems with your car

Moderator: neil

Duncan
ALPIN
ALPIN

Post by Duncan » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:21 pm

Good luck charles,
glad I didnt buy a renault after all! :wink:

Although I'm still in my courtesy car it is a brand new 5 series and I'm getting daily updates from Sytner Harold Wood who I have to say are being very good.

Hope to get my B5 back soon. It will be like "Trigger's broom" like your espace :lol:
Alpina B5 Saloon 180 LeMans Blue: SOLD
Alpina D3 Touring 117: SOLD!

Tinker
ALPIN
ALPIN

Post by Tinker » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:32 am

Any news yet?

I have knowledge of a nice LHD Disco 3 - 7 seater HSE with FLRSH you could have :wink:
Last edited by Tinker on Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black D10 manual #89

1973 Alfa Romeo Montreal .... in bits!

Duncan
ALPIN
ALPIN

Post by Duncan » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:09 pm

ooooooooooooooh Disco3's are great. Its a buyers market at the moment too
Alpina B5 Saloon 180 LeMans Blue: SOLD
Alpina D3 Touring 117: SOLD!

Tinker
ALPIN
ALPIN

Post by Tinker » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:26 am

Charles, any news yet? these updates are not as regular anymore ...
Black D10 manual #89

Charles

Post by Charles » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:47 pm

Funny that - I was just about to post.

Unfortunately the brunette is rather hard nosed and is clearly very well trained at minimising corporate costs. Not sure about when she went on the Customer Service course, though :evil:

She seems convinced that because Renault has paid for a hire car throughout the last 9 weeks then everything is fine and dandy. She also, successfully, managed to screw up things regarding extending the warranty such that I wasn't able to do it myself either :evil:

Anyway, regards the car, the second new engine arrived on Monday, was inspected to make sure the crankshaft was the correct length and was fitted on Tuesday. New fuel pump, fuel rail etc etc etc and when the key was inserted, she started up first time and stayed running :D :shock: :D :shock:

Latest estimates are that the MOT and balance of the service should be being done as I write and the other warranty items are being dealt with. Indications from the Dealer suggest that the cost of the MOT, service and other bits and pieces (including a replacement key) are going to be picked up by Renault so that I won't have to put my hand in my pocket at all - as it should be as far as I am concerned

I have made it very clear that I will not be accepting the car back until we have done several days of testing and I am satisfied that there aren't any other niggles that have raised their ugly little heads in the interim.

There is still plenty of time for this particular plan to go belly up so watch this space ...
Charles
Teacher of Chemistry and driver of ALPINAs - not necessarily in that order ;)
B3S Touring (49/116) - been to the moon and now on the way back!
Renault Grand Espace - not mine but the wife's!

Tinker
ALPIN
ALPIN

Post by Tinker » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:32 pm

Sort of good to hear (although a new car would have been better)

Is the warranty being renewed then (extra 3 years for the engine I'd hope) or not, because if not, I would refuse the car.
Black D10 manual #89

Charles

Post by Charles » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:37 pm

She's back :!:

Now for a weekend of test driving to make sure it all feels OK.

The good news is that Renault (sensibly) agreed to pay for the MOT, balance of the service, replacement key and every other little niggle that I could come up with.

The hire car is still here until I "accept" the Espace back
Charles

Tinker
ALPIN
ALPIN

Post by Tinker » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:07 pm

So are you keeping it or not ?

Or should the question be, is it still working?
Black D10 manual #89

Charles

Post by Charles » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:42 am

SWMBO is not happy - apparently the engine is a bit noisier and so she has to turn the volume up a bit more on the radio :roll:

Other than that, she "appears" to be OK but I have made it clear to Renault that I have only provisionally accepted her back and will make a further decision in a few weeks/months/years. Meanwhile, they have agreed that they will look after anything that arises.
Charles

Charles

Post by Charles » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:20 am

SWMBO is now VERY HAPPY!

Throughout the 4 years of the first engine, we barely scraped over 30mpg. However, with the new one we are already up to 32mpg and that's in the first 1k miles. That could also be due to the fact that I haven't been driving the bus but don'tt tell her that :wink:

She also appears to have got used to the noise coming from the front. I have spent a long time showing her under the bonnet and convincing her that the 3.0V6 lump isn't a sewing machine (not that she would know what to do with one of those) and she appears to now accept that diesel engines make a noise when switched on.

It could also be related to the fact that I have drugged and gagged all the children so background noise has been reduced by about 98% with the remaining 2% coming from the radio which is now set too loud ... :wink:
Charles

seenthelight
ALP
ALP

Post by seenthelight » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:45 am

Charles wrote: Other than that, she "appears" to be OK but I have made it clear to Renault that I have only provisionally accepted her back and will make a further decision in a few weeks/months/years. Meanwhile, they have agreed that they will look after anything that arises.
Charles, glad you clarified things with your last post, I wasn't sure if you meant SWMBO or the Renault... :lol:

Charles

Post by Charles » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:32 am

:oops:
Charles

Charles

Post by Charles » Fri May 15, 2009 11:39 am

Just thought you might like to know how things are going.

Whilst we got the car back at the end of October last year, I never formally accepted the car back until I was satisfied that everything had bedded dow properly and was working as should be.

Soon after getting the car back we noticed that the engine appeared to be running fast (both at idle and also through gear changes such that it was holding a gear too long). Also I wasn't happy that the TC appeared to be slippping.

Anyway, it went in this week for its shakedown assessment and the local dealer was brilliant. The idle speed was too high so they reprogrammed the ECU and now we can hear ourselves think at traffic lights and the gear changes are spot on.

The aircon was checked as it had lost gas - hadn't done this in the previous four years so the rebuild at the front end was blamed - the fault was found and we are now cool again. And whilst it was there, they did a free health check which involved replacing the rear wiper, topping up with some oil, changing the rear indicator bulbs and replacing a broken number plate bulb - all FOC :!: :!: :!:

They also found a broken rear spring which I clealry had to pay for but everything else has been paid for by Renault without any quibbles.

Amusingly I had an email from Renault which was very compliant but there was an unfortunate choice of words when the Customer Service person referred to:

The service department at the dealership have advised me that your vehicle has been returned to you following repairs to address your air conditioning and idle concerns

Idle concerns?!? I think I know what she means but it did make me laugh :D
Charles