Common Issues on all G30/G31

Place to discuss your non-ALPINA car / problems with your car

Moderator: neil

Grumpyjohn1957
ALP
ALP

Common Issues on all G30/G31

Post by Grumpyjohn1957 » Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:55 am

Two minor issues very common on G30/31 models, one esp' pre LCI apparently.

Brunhilda’s active grille shutters jammed open, so a trip to Sytner Leicester was in order.
After informing me they would need the car all day and only managing to do £99 worth of diagnostics the conclusion was the shutters were indeed faulty and would need replacing. "Not in stock, can we keep the car sir?" No, as you can’t provide a courtesy car I’ll bring it back next week when it’s convenient for me.

“Oh, and by the way sir, your Telematics battery needs replacing”
Really? How much? “About £400 sir, we have to remove the headlining to access it”

Now I know the battery is about £40 and that it lives near the shark fin aerial in a module of some sort. Some time ago I watched a video guide of one being replaced on a G31 via the boot with very little disturbance to the headliner but dammed if I can find video.
Any pointers on this job gratefully received as I’m determined to do it myself before chilly weather finishes the thing off. I’m not paying £400. Incidentally, I asked a BMW indie about it, surprisingly they were talking similar money.

Anyway, I digress. Dropped the car off this morning, at quite an early hour for me.
At 1300 I rang to check progress. “It’s just gone into the workshop sir, should be ready this evening.

1700hrs, a phone call from a lovely cheery young lady service advisor “your car won’t be ready today sir”
Why not? I snarled.
“Errrm, Err, the technician has had to take the front bumper off and there’s still quite a bit of work to do”.

Grumpy now lives up to his epithet and goes ballistic. Long story short I got a 22 plate Mini Cooper to drive.
An Alpina it isn’t. Well screwed together and finished, feels nippy but actually isn’t, choppy ride, very direct steering and doesn’t seem to use any petrol. Would I buy one? No, I’ve got used to being very spoiled for quite some time now and proceeding rather than driving.
The Mini will be doing a 100-mile round trip tomorrow and I’ve a feeling I’m going to miss the teleporter. :cry:
John
2019 G31 B5 Biturbo Touring #336 - Sophisto Grey
(Brunhilda)

JohnW
ALPIN
ALPIN

Re: Common Issues on all G30/G31

Post by JohnW » Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:16 pm

I can see the faulty active grills being left permanently open on many models

If the telemetry battery is so hard to replace why didn’t they use a long pair of leads and extend it to a separate battery holder outside of the roof lining 💡or power it with something more practical, wait a minute…oh yes silly me.
JohnW
2008 B3 BiTurbo Coupe #161
Previous: 2011 D3 BiTurbo Saloon #373, 2014 F30 320iX M Saloon, 2009 M3 DCT Coupe, 2008 B3 BiTurbo Coupe #074, 2009 E82 123d Coupe, 2006 E92 325i Coupe, 2002 E46 325iSE Coupe, 1998 E36 318iSE Saloon