Building e39 B10 rep...need some help

Place to discuss your non-ALPINA car / problems with your car

Moderator: neil

likeaboss

Building e39 B10 rep...need some help

Post by likeaboss » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:02 am

Hello Alpina and BMW lovers,

at first I want to apologize for my english, its not excelent, but I hope you will understand me :)

So here is my story and my problems, which I hope to solve with your help.

I have an e39 530i, bought it about ~2 years ago. It is simple e39, nothing special. I thought maybe to do with him M sport, but I think its too mainstream, because there are plenty of it in the streets. And easer to buy genuioe one. So one day accsidently I found an Alpina front lip for sale and I bought it. I thougt maybe it would be possible to build Alpina replica, it would be much more interersting to me, because it is realy rare thing, and to buy real one is not cheap, specialy for me as a student :). But I was thinking that to do that will be hard, because parts are realy rare. But not long time after I found for realy good price Alpina r19 rims bought it. After that I realy want to do good Alpina B10 replica. But I need a little bit help from experts :)

So i have for now a few questions, and I will have more in a future, so I hope this topic will be ok :)

1) At first I want to ask about rear Alpina spoiler on the trunk. I dont see on all e39 Alpinas spoilers, manny of them are without. But on some of them there are two versions of spilers, am I right? Why are they different? One is real and ine is fake? Or one is for B10 3.3 and the other one is for B10 V8s? I'm talking about theese:

The first one on the blue e39 I like better

2) Second thing I'm interested in, the exhaust mufflers. Is taht bottom bumper part could be found somewhere for sale as the front lip? or I should made my bumper look like alipna on my hands and there nothing to do other?

3) Alpina stripes for silver body? What color originally was? Golden? And is it possible to found them in good quality, but not from Alpina, because its a litle bit to expensive for me, I asked Alpina dealer, and got answer that stripes cost for B10 e39 about 600 euros :roll: ...

4) And what is the splash screen logo of Alpina for 16:9 TV originally? On the inthernet I found manny versions like :

and others... Which is real, not fake and modified by peoples?

For now is enough, but I will need more help in future, I hope you will under stand me and help me :)

Pic of what I started :)

Last edited by likeaboss on Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

likeaboss

Post by likeaboss » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:50 pm

Seems like nobody understands what im talking about :D

Hodge
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Hodge » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:21 pm

I think you need to give it more than one day :D

Your English is fine by the way, no need to worry their, give members time and I'm sure they can advise

Cheers
Mark Hodge

E46 B3s Coupe #19 (sold)
E46 B3s Touring #29 (sold) bought back 2023
Daily -
TTS DSG (Not for carrying dogs)
X5 45e (For carrying dogs)
VW R32 MkIV (weekends)

Chas
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Chas » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:33 pm

likeaboss wrote:Seems like nobody understands what im talking about :D
There's also the issue that owners generally don't support the idea of replica Alpinas.

1) The bonded spoiler in your first picture is specific to the V8S (the clue is in the picture!) The other spoiler was optional for the V8. I'd guess more than half the V8 cars had this option.

2) The lower rear bumper is Alpina-specific.

3) Stripes were an option in either silver or gold. One of our members (Spa 69) supplies OEM quality decals for a fraction of the dealer cost.

4) All Alpina splash screens are non-OEM. There was only the standard BMW screen supplied because it's a standard BMW system. Two of the pictures you show use the same font as the grill badge you had on the front of the car. It is very wrong :roll:

likeaboss

Post by likeaboss » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:51 am

1) So i understood, that the spoilers are for v8 version? Would be wrong to put it on 3.3 ? Or i misunderstood something?

3) so i think on silver body would be better golden stripes? Silver would be invisible i think. I have seen on the inthernet black or dark grey stripes. I understand that its not oem color right?

4) yes, i figured out yesterday myself that there is no alpina splash screen, just bmw like in a normal bmw.

I dont think its very bad to built replica :)

Chas
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Chas » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:44 am

likeaboss wrote:So i understood, that the spoilers are for v8 version? Would be wrong to put it on 3.3 ?
My poor explanation - that spoiler was optional for all the B10s
likeaboss wrote:so i think on silver body would be better golden stripes? Silver would be invisible i think. I have seen on the inthernet black or dark grey stripes. I understand that its not oem color right?
Silver and Gold are the only OEM, colours but there are a number of members using black / graphite, especially on silver cars.
likeaboss wrote:I dont think its very bad to built replica :)
I don't have an issue with people building them, especially in a location where you can't buy the real thing (such as Canada). I only have an issue with people trying to sell them as a real Alpina.

JASV8S
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by JASV8S » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:27 am

Hi Likaboss, As Chas says there is some sensitivity in the Alpina group around replicas as the exclusivity of an Alpina is part of the allure. I like the fact that I have never seen another V8S since I got mine, in fact I have never even seen another B10 on the road either, not even Chas's and he does not live far away. But what we do share is the appreciation of everything Alpina and as it is difficult in some countries to get hold of these machines I can understand the desire to create a replica one. Some people do it with good appreciation and subtelty and others make a complete hash of it and that is what tends to get under the skin of some members.

Not sure which country you are in but you sound like someone who is looking for help to make a decent job so good luck. We are generally a very helpful group and the advice you get will be honest. As Chas says creating a replica and passing it off for sale as the real thing are different propositions. Maybe one day your appreciation will be rewarded and you get the opportunity to buy the real thing.
John
Alpina Blue B10 V8S #54 Saloon
Montreal Red F20 M-Sport
Sparkling Bronze F30 Xdrive (sold)
Titan Silver E90 325iSE (sold)
Blue Mini Cooper (sold)

likeaboss

Post by likeaboss » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:03 am

Hi everybody :) thanks for posting. Its been a while since i logged here, had a lot of works so nothing had be done with the replica project, only searched the info and Alpina parts, wich are very rare and hard to find, because i want only OEM parts :).

I'm not thinking about selling this car like real Alpina, i dont know will I sell her at all :D.

In my country it's easy to get an Alpina, only thing you need is money, wich is harder to get :D. So on the roads is very very rare car, its like to see a unicorn :D. I think I have seen a one time B3 and thats all, never seen B10 or other. So thats why I want to build replica, because its more interesting because of her rareness, M sports are good looking but boring as stock e39 because there are tons of them.

So i got few questions and came here :). About steering wheel:

I found there was two versions of wheels in facelift:

was there an optional thing? Buyer was able to choose whatever he wants or they were able for diferent versions? One for b10 3,3 other for V8s ? Which wheel would be right for me if im building 3,3 copy or its nevermind, i can put which I want?

and question again about TV splash screen. In first photo of steering wheels you can see that the screen is with blue color. Should it be that or should it be black like stock BMW? Who have b10, tell me how is in your cars :)