From the sublime to the ridiculous

Rambling from the Sage of Oxford
Charles

From the sublime to the ridiculous

Post by Charles » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:27 pm

Had to tell you about what I've just seen at my local Shell ...

... two bilkes filling up.

But before you wonder why I am bothering with such earth shattering news, let me tell you about the bikes.

Bike 1 - a Suzuki Hayabusa, but not just any one. This one had twin turbos and an extended trailing arm to lengthen the wheelbase (to stop it pulling wheelies at 150mph :!: ) and delivers 250bhp at the wheel with the turbos switched off and 448bhp when the "mad" switch is used (which he hasn't yet used on the road). The owner is planning to strengthen the bottom end of the engine and the con rods to get 500bhp from it :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Bike 2 - a Harley Davidson 883, but once again, not just any one. This one had been slightly modified too, with a diesel pressure washer engine delivering 150mpg :!: Mind you, the vibrations from the engine meant that the owner had to modify the handles by fitting stainless exhaust tips - "the ones those boy racers add to their Saxo's" to quote the owner - with foam insulation inside and fitted over the standard handle grips.

Now, I'm not really a bike fan and have never chosen to ride a bike - probably because I'll kill myself on one - but these two bikes really stood out. Lovely bikes and great owners - we managed to cause uproar from the waiting customers as we continued to chat and swap stories whilst hogging the pumps (excuse the pun).

But I don't care :twisted:

What a fun half hour on an otherwise dull and gloomy Wednesday :D Just a shame I didn't have a camera with me - but hopefully my descriptions have done the bikes justice.
Charles
Teacher of Chemistry and driver of ALPINAs - not necessarily in that order ;)
B3S Touring (49/116) - been to the moon and now on the way back!
Renault Grand Espace - not mine but the wife's!

ALPB1033
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by ALPB1033 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:14 am

Yes indeed, Charles. About a year or so I had my mid-life crsis as I wanted to pass the bike test and got myself a Harley. Then travelled around the world with it. But after a few months later I cancelled the idea as I don't like my fatty body to wrapped around a piece of metal. Instead I like the armour to protect my fat body and stick with what I have at the moment.