Punctures

Rambling from the Sage of Oxford
ALPB1033
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by ALPB1033 » Sun May 25, 2008 3:19 am

Hey Charles, I did once put the front into the rear but the manual said not over 150mph and no sudden acceleration. Then I did about 1k before I got a whole set in Vienna. Mind you I was driving from Germany to Austria without a spare tyre with my family on board.

rcshott
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by rcshott » Mon May 26, 2008 2:52 am

Charles wrote:
rcshott wrote:CHARLES
Just wondering about the 'off-tread' puncture. Ah, I know...possible damage to steel belts.
They can be pluged if it's only a nail/screw/etc, and as added safety tubes can be fitted??
It could also be used as a spare, so long as as it is clearly marked.
Hey Jim - good to hear from you. You've been noticeable by your absence.

To respond to your points, the tyre was repairable based on where the screw was located. However, on removal and inspection, it was clear that I had damaged the inside of the inner sidewall by running at lower pressures.

Given that I am taking her on a series of Vmax runs in a couple of weeks, if a repair had been marginal I would still have gone for a new tyre - better to be safe than sorry for the sake of a few quid (well £170 to be accurate).

As for keeping it as a spare, don't forget that the B3S runs different sizes front and rear and whilst I may have a Touring, it ain't a Volvo :!:
Yeah Charles, good answers.
Been a bit "off colour", lots of issues...& NO SOUP :!: