Torque is king

Rambling from the Sage of Oxford
Charles

Torque is king

Post by Charles » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:06 pm

Did anyone else pick up on Martin Brundle's comments about torque, tyres and wheel balancing at the Monaco GP?

If you didn't, then I'll try and relay what he said - if only because I found it quite interesting...

Apparently, becuase of the tyre design and tyre pressures on F1 cars, at circuits like Monaco where there is a lot of stop/start action through slow corners, sometimes a car can push out enough twisting action (torque) to shift the rear tyres around the rim slightly. As a result, the wheel balancing goes to pot and the driver is left with vibrations from the rear.

Translating this to road cars, how much torque would be needed to do this on one of our ALPINAs for example?

And what other factors - such as tyre width and diameter say - would play a part in the whole equation?
Charles
Teacher of Chemistry and driver of ALPINAs - not necessarily in that order ;)
B3S Touring (49/116) - been to the moon and now on the way back!
Renault Grand Espace - not mine but the wife's!

neil
Administrator
Administrator

Post by neil » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:45 pm

The only thing I've heard that is similar is in 4x4 cars where you can brake so hard you slip the tyres around the wheel - basically f'ing them up.

My dad managed to do this in his M Class 270 CDi and one of my friends also managed in another 4x4.

Regards your actual question I think it would be virtually impossible on a road car as the grip/traction of the tyre would break far earlier than the tyre against wheel. On a F1 car with Slicks I could easily imagine that they are so sticky that they hold beyond the wheel / tyre can ?

When I reviewed the Evo Fq400 - I was testing the acceleration with my little performance meter (AP22), it was stuck to the dash with bluetac and I had a perfect hook up - I hit the redline in 1st and the car was off like a rocket. The AP22 hit the rear window ! and smash :( but even then the tyres didn't completely get all the power down.

blacky
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by blacky » Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:24 am

on good quality tyres it will be nearly imposable on a road car but iv seen cheap remolds spin on the rim thats probably why they are cheap lol

B10BRW
ALPINA
ALPINA

Re: Torque is king

Post by B10BRW » Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:46 am

Charles wrote:
Translating this to road cars, how much torque would be needed to do this on one of our ALPINAs for example?
You will be able to find this out for yourself at Thruxton, just bring a spare set of rears :wink: