Recommendations for an Engine Rebuild ?

Got a question about your ALPINA ask it here !
You've got the car now you need to know something, techincal advice, specific questions etc.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

Number5
ALP
ALP

Recommendations for an Engine Rebuild ?

Post by Number5 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:59 pm

My Alpina Roadster is nearing 90k miles and is now burning oil around 1L per every 1000-1100 miles or so, with the occasional black puff after over-run

I'm in Bristol and am looking for recommendations as to where to take it.
My obvious choices without going main Dealer are:-
- Forza BG - in Caldicot
- Redish in Bishopsworth

Has anyone any other suggestions within reasonable distance ?
Last edited by Number5 on Sat May 09, 2020 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alpina Roadster S Lux #307

ade and liz flint
ALPINA
ALPINA

Re: Recommendations for an Engine Rebuild ?

Post by ade and liz flint » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:05 pm

Number5 wrote:My Alpina Roadster is nearing 90k miles and is now burning oil around 1L per every 1000-1100 miles or so, with the occasional black puff after over-run

I'm in Bristol and am looking for recommendations as to where to take it.
My obvious choices without going main Dealer are:-
- Forza BG - in Caldicot
- Redish in Bishopsworth
That oil consumption would have been considered 'bloody healthy' when we owned #168, and there was nothing 'wrong' with the engine. 600miles/l on 0w30.....it's all in the way they were run in IMO.

Both those you mention have impressive feedback from BMW devotees, although Forza always seem to be stacked out whenever I visit or drive past. Be sure they could complete work in reasonable time.

Also there is Birds, and CPCPE further along the M4 corridor. The latter is well versed in S engine rebuilds having done Charles' B3S and others. Plus he may still have a copper HG he could fit for you......I did tell Birds about this, and as they deal with Phil Crouch themselves, I've no doubt they could access the copper HG too.
Current:
23MY Porsche Macan GTS in Papaya
23MY Cupra Born V3 77kW in Aurora

Previously loved:
ALPINA: E91 B3SBiturbo #127, E92 B3SBiturbo #285, E90 D3Biturbo #097, E85 Roadster S #168 & variety of 'beige' 4 and 6-cyl BMW lumps.
PORSCHE: Macan S, Cayman 981 S, Cayman 981 GTS

Number5
ALP
ALP

Post by Number5 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:14 am

Thanks Ade.

I'll make some enquiries. I'm in no rush as it as soon as it's back from France this weekend it will be sorned until the April trip to Snowdonia

I'm now running 5W40 which dramatically improved consumption, otherwise I'd have been sub 800/900 miles/litre, but there's also a slight milkyness on the oil cap so I'd may aswell address all at once.

Charles

Re: Recommendations for an Engine Rebuild ?

Post by Charles » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:25 am

ade and liz flint wrote:Also there is ... CPCPE further along the M4 corridor. The latter is well versed in S engine rebuilds having done Charles' B3S and others. Plus he may still have a copper HG he could fit for you......I did tell Birds about this, and as they deal with Phil Crouch themselves, I've no doubt they could access the copper HG too.
Would definitely recommend Phil Crouch at CPC - in fact, I am preparing myself for my next HG in the next 6-12 months - all part of B3S ownership :D

The copper gasket is an interesting one. We went down this route to see if we could prolong the life of a 3.4 HG because, as we all know, every 80-90k miles they have had enough and they are bloody expensive to buy. Unfortunately, this coincided with "one skim too many" on the cylinder head which caused problems with exhaust gases getting into the coolant!!!!

Long story short - I needed a new cylinder head, the copper gasket could not be refitted and I got a good deal on an ALPINA one - "buy a cylinder head and get a HG at half price" type offer :shock:

Anyway, one thing struck me when reading this thread. The idea behind the copper HG was to not have to change the HG ever again - which is a worthy plan. However, if Roadster S #019 has only just reached 90k miles after 14 years (or so) then, at that rate, the next one will be in 2032 and I wonder whether there is any real merit in going non-OEM. In my case, covering 20k miles pa and therefore replacing the HG every 4-5 years, then it is more attractive but to be honest with you, £400 pa over 4-5 years to cover the cost of HG replacement is a relatively small cost in the grand scheme of things - I spend more than that on tyres in the same period!!!
Charles
Teacher of Chemistry and driver of ALPINAs - not necessarily in that order ;)
B3S Touring (49/116) - been to the moon and now on the way back!
Renault Grand Espace - not mine but the wife's!

ade and liz flint
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by ade and liz flint » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:40 pm

Number5 wrote:Thanks Ade.

I'll make some enquiries. I'm in no rush as it as soon as it's back from France this weekend it will be sorned until the April trip to Snowdonia

I'm now running 5W40 which dramatically improved consumption, otherwise I'd have been sub 800/900 miles/litre, but there's also a slight milkyness on the oil cap so I'd may aswell address all at once.
Charles' comments noted and yes, a copper HG won't stop future failure, but cost and longevity of this alternative does appeal.

Forza are extremely busy and low on techs. As they have such a fantastic reputation, they've an awful lot of work comes over the bridge from Bristol BMW traders: they do a hell of a lot of work for them and it does mean the number of cars around their premises is ludicrous at times. I used them in July, and it was minor mayhem getting the car into the workshop, so please talk to them if you wish to follow that path. I've no doubt their work is excellent, though, as I'm sure you know.

Regarding the oil: I ran a mix of 0W30 and 5W40 to increase oil mpl to over 1000. This also keeps the engine spinning with lower friction, keeps oil pressure as it should be and keeps fuel consumption healthy.

HG failure of the S engine rarely leads to mayonnaise as it's USUALLY a failure between cylinders, not between oil and coolant pathways. The mayo could be purely condensation within the engine (common) if it's not getting fully warmed up on journies. We had no mayo on #168 as although a lower miles example, it tended to be used for long journies on every outing. Simon13's write-up on his engine rebuild is well worth reading if you haven't already.
Current:

Previously loved:
ALPINA: E91 B3SBiturbo #127, E92 B3SBiturbo #285, E90 D3Biturbo #097, E85 Roadster S #168 & variety of 'beige' 4 and 6-cyl BMW lumps.

Number5
ALP
ALP

Post by Number5 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:33 pm

Thanks guys. All useful information.

I've just returned from 4 days in Normandy when #019 had a damn good run out alongside 6 other Z4M's and a 35i E89. #019 performed admirably and didnt miss a beat.

One of the guys with us (an AA Patrol man) suggested that the mayo was purely condensation from standing. It's now only doing about 1300 miles annually. (Half in France and half in Snowdonia, it's not used as a daily at all)

I've used Forza a lot in the past but found them hit and miss. Ideally if i go ahead it would be done around Dec/January when i would guess they'd be quieter.

Last edited by Number5 on Sat May 09, 2020 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ade and liz flint
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by ade and liz flint » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:59 pm

Number5 wrote: One of the guys with us (an AA Patrol man) suggested that the mayo was purely condensation from standing. It's now only doing about 1300 miles annually. (Half in France and half in Snowdonia, it's not used as a daily at all)

I've used Forza a lot in the past but found them hit and miss. Ideally if i go ahead it would be done around Dec/January when i would guess they'd be quieter.
Condensation would be my best guess which is unavoidable unless you have a heated and humidity controlled garage.....rather like mine, but rare.

I've only had a few dealings with Forza and I know the issue: tech shortage. I'm taking #127 to another local trusted garage for a gearbox oil change as a result. Aim for January when he should be at full staff after Xmas holidays: avoid major trade times such as reg changes as that's when the traded BMW's etc are sent to him for work pre sale.
Current:

Previously loved: