Platinum wheels Swindon: my current impressions

The place to talk about ALPINAs.
e.g. News, Reviews, Insurance, Warranties, Running Costs, Sightings, general questions etc.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

ade and liz flint
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by ade and liz flint » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:40 am

All sorted now, and back on the car at last! I was a bit fed up seeing it on axe stands for quite so long. Anyhow....

Colour match is perfect, as is the sparkle effect (ignore any marks on them: they're from me handling them, nothing more). The centre caps were nowhere near the wheels while they were refinished, and the match is remarkably good.

Oddly, the strange water mark effect on one of the spokes I referred to earlier is a fault in the alloy. It's not clear if it's a casting fault, or a repair performed prior to the wheels going on the car. It's been removed and filled but it still has a small odd reaction in that spot, but I didn't want any more work done as it's mostly hidden, now.

The issues experienced have been understood at Platinum, as have many of the causes, many of which are down to individual, minor errors. Front of house is better, now, and will improve further, the filter issue is supplier and operator error. Suppliers sending incorrect filters is a bad start.....for other people's reference, Sparkle Silver needs to go through a 250micron filter pre applicator, nothing finer or it'll look like glass, not sparkling!

Another point of note: do not assume wheels you put in for refurb are done by the company you are dealing with. I can say nothing on this publicly, but having spent a fair bit of time there and looking through the processes and engineering (they now have 2 diamond cutting stations to cope with that load!) the vans delivering wheels from elsewhere did take me by surprise. Many refurb centres only do the very basic work: complex stuff is sent elsewhere......

So, quality-wise, I'm now delighted. I'm also delighted the MD knows me, realised something was up, and has acted to curb laziness, laxness, and errors which were slowly feeding into the organisation, especially when he was off the site on vacation. My poor experience this time has helped him winkle out some issues,and I'm pleased it has. I can now say what I used to say: these guys are awesome!
Current:
23MY Porsche Macan GTS in Papaya
23MY Cupra Born V3 77kW in Aurora

Previously loved:
ALPINA: E91 B3SBiturbo #127, E92 B3SBiturbo #285, E90 D3Biturbo #097, E85 Roadster S #168 & variety of 'beige' 4 and 6-cyl BMW lumps.
PORSCHE: Macan S, Cayman 981 S, Cayman 981 GTS