D3 Mono 57 plate - Juddering When Idling

Got a question about your ALPINA ask it here !
You've got the car now you need to know something, techincal advice, specific questions etc.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

LifesTooShort

D3 Mono 57 plate - Juddering When Idling

Post by LifesTooShort » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:10 pm

Good Morning everyone. I have noticed that My Mono Turbo D3 e90 57 plate, has started to "judder" when Idling. Quite pronounced, seemingly more evident when warm. Also fuel economy dropped 1.5 mpg, not sure if related? Hoping you can advise. Thank you!

DonFlintoni
ALPINA
ALPINA

Re: D3 Mono 57 plate - Juddering When Idling

Post by DonFlintoni » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:12 pm

LifesTooShort wrote:Good Morning everyone. I have noticed that My Mono Turbo D3 e90 57 plate, has started to "judder" when Idling. Quite pronounced, seemingly more evident when warm. Also fuel economy dropped 1.5 mpg, not sure if related? Hoping you can advise. Thank you!
The judder may be the dual mass flywheel.
Former Alpina owner. Having a break.

LifesTooShort

Post by LifesTooShort » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:40 pm

DonFlintoni wrote:
LifesTooShort wrote:Good Morning everyone. I have noticed that My Mono Turbo D3 e90 57 plate, has started to "judder" when Idling. Quite pronounced, seemingly more evident when warm. Also fuel economy dropped 1.5 mpg, not sure if related? Hoping you can advise. Thank you!
Oooh heck, reckon I should get it checked out.? Only done 41000?

DonFlintoni
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by DonFlintoni » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:20 pm

LifesTooShort wrote:
DonFlintoni wrote:
Its a common fault on the e90s and not necessarily age-dependant.

I noticed mine was juddering first thing in the morning and if Id been stuck in traffic. Learned to live with it for a whiles as the garage said they very rarely fail in their entirety. I finally had the DMF changed out at 95k. Also had a new clutch.

nkotecha
ALPIN
ALPIN

Post by nkotecha » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:47 pm

Just had both done in my 1 series. Hopefully the x3 and Alpina don’t develop the same issue but bmw did pay80% towards it

LifesTooShort

Post by LifesTooShort » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:52 am

DonFlintoni wrote:
LifesTooShort wrote:
DonFlintoni wrote:
Its a common fault on the e90s and not necessarily age-dependant.

I noticed mine was juddering first thing in the morning and if Id been stuck in traffic. Learned to live with it for a whiles as the garage said they very rarely fail in their entirety. I finally had the DMF changed out at 95k. Also had a new clutch.
So I should be alright to let it go for a while at least? any poss issues if don't get looked at.? [/quote]

IAM Joe
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by IAM Joe » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:42 am

The way I'm reading this sounds more like the glow plugs at fault. You say when the car is at idle, as in you're not pressing the clutch pedal etc.
Joe

SOLD!

Diesel Power! #412

LifesTooShort

Post by LifesTooShort » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:10 am

IAM Joe wrote:The way I'm reading this sounds more like the glow plugs at fault. You say when the car is at idle, as in you're not pressing the clutch pedal etc.
Morning Joe, thank you for the reply! Yes, just sat in car now having driven to work, not touching any pedal and it feels like the car is wobbling, engine note warbling, more erratic an ex pronounced now!

DonFlintoni
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by DonFlintoni » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:59 pm

Any flat spots when accelerating? Obviously after the big flat spot before the big turbo winds up!

Could be a sign of plugs/plugs relay or DPF blocked.

Do you have an ECU code reader? If not might be worth visiting the local garage and paying for a quick diagnostic test.

LifesTooShort

Post by LifesTooShort » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:37 pm

DonFlintoni wrote:Any flat spots when accelerating? Obviously after the big flat spot before the big turbo winds up!

Could be a sign of plugs/plugs relay or DPF blocked.

Do you have an ECU code reader? If not might be worth visiting the local garage and paying for a quick diagnostic test.
Don, have noticed ever so slight flat spot occasionally. She definitely doesn't feel as punchy and economy down a bit too. Ive had DPF issues with DPF on diesel pug 3008. I do a fair number of short journeys in working day virtually all under 5 miles and many of these less than 2 miles but commute 13 miles there and 13 back. Think I will go to garage and get it checked as you suggest. Thank you!

DonFlintoni
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by DonFlintoni » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:10 pm

Keep us informed of progress!