Cylinder no 1 - part 2

The place to talk about ALPINAs.
e.g. News, Reviews, Insurance, Warranties, Running Costs, Sightings, general questions etc.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

MichaelC
AL
AL

Cylinder no 1 - part 2

Post by MichaelC » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:43 pm

Mmm.

The prognosis is not good.

My understanding of what has been explained to me is that the cylinder itself is scored - apparently a v-marked scoring can be seen, and in MJF's assessment something happened! I was asked if I had experienced any odd moments whilst driving the car, and other than this recent episode of the misfiring the answer is no. I did mention that the previous owner had replaced the supercharger. Mark wonders if that supercharger had had a catastrophic moment throwing out debris which impacted the cylinder and in so doing damaged the piston rings? He thinks whatever cause the damage weakened the piston rings and over time they have been failing (although not in a noticeable manner) until they gave up sufficiently to create the lack of compression being experienced.

The long and short is that the engine is going to need to be taken apart and I guess at best a new piston, rings and other associated bits n pieces. Hopefully no damage will be identified in respect of the other cylinders.

PhillV8S
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by PhillV8S » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:23 pm

Fingers crossed Nothing else comes to light during the work.
Range Rover SDV8.
E64 B6s #100 Cabriolet (Now Sold)
Maserati Gransport

WINNE1
ALPI
ALPI

Post by WINNE1 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:43 pm

Not good I feel for you, what sort of mileage as it done and how many in your hands since you purchased it? :(
B6 convertible 4.4 black with silver decals .
B5 saloon 4.4 black with silver decals .

MichaelC
AL
AL

Post by MichaelC » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:25 am

53,000 miles on the clock. I bought it The tail end of May 2016 with 37,000 miles on the clock.

PhillV8S
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by PhillV8S » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:52 am

I’m no expert on these matters but surely the issue must have arisen after you got the car? The supercharger was changed a good while before you got it so the old supercharger would have failed maybe 20k+ Miles ago. Wouldn’t this issue have become apparent many miles ago if the old supercharger failing was the cause??
Range Rover SDV8.
E64 B6s #100 Cabriolet (Now Sold)
Maserati Gransport

MichaelC
AL
AL

Post by MichaelC » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:42 am

Quite frankly I simply do not know.

I can only rely upon the expert opinions of those who have the automotive experience/knowledge.

What I can say is that the car has driven impeccably since I bought it, looking back the first hint of misfire was towards the end of October, but even that barely registered (that was following a run down to The New Forest) and within a week or so the misfire became apparent, very much so. In terms of typical usage and driving style there has been no change.

My interpretation of what was being explained to me was that Mark was trying to figure out what the cause of the damage to the cylinder was, and in so doing was seeking to get a feel for the history of the car, the pattern of usage etc.

Any how, I am where I am. I will do what is needed, the B6 is too good not to be looked after... She will return, and better than before!