Dynavin N7

Place to talk about Fast cars in general

Moderator: neil

Charles

Dynavin N7

Post by Charles » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:38 pm

Many of you are no doubt aware of the aftermarket infotainment unit, the Dynavin N6, which comes in many forms to suit specific BMW (and other manufacturer) models. It is designed to offer an alternative screen-based entertainment centre which you can then tie-in to your phone to get music, calls, texts and pretty much anything else.

I've been waiting patiently fr the last few months as the N6 is optimised for Apple phones and I refuse point blank to go down that route as that is where madness lies. So the N6 is not the one for me with my Android preference.

However, the good news is that I believe the N7 (optimised for both platforms) is about to launch. I was given the heads-up back in May that it was imminent and the "out of stock" notices for the N6 on Dynavin's own online store suggest that this is the case.

So, in a few short weeks, I am planning to upgrade my ancient cassette/radio, faulty 6-CD changer and outdated OEM Bluetooth connection with something sleaker and smarter, which should give me full smartphone functionality within the car.

Watch this space
Charles
Teacher of Chemistry and driver of ALPINAs - not necessarily in that order ;)
B3S Touring (49/116) - been to the moon and now on the way back!
Renault Grand Espace - not mine but the wife's!

ali
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by ali » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:28 am

I'll watch this space eagerly to see how you get on.
I have come close on a few occasions to buying the N6 as the entertainment on my B3 is woeful to say the least
B3 3.3 Coupe #090
D3 2.0 Biturbo Touring #098

Charles

Post by Charles » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:15 pm

What has triggered this for me is the recent purchase of a new Polo as the family runaround which has an excellent infotainment system that draws on the features of our smartphones.

However, like the N6, the VW system is optimised for Apple with Android appearing to be something they tacked on afterwards and so I would like something similar which is designed to work with Android just as well as Apple.

Waiting patiently :D
Charles

ali
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by ali » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:13 am

It was throwing a £300 Pioneer widescreen system into my Sprinter van that made me start to look at the change.
With Apple carplay the screen becomes my satnav and all phonecalls, music can be bluetoothed to the system
It was plug and play and looks fine in a van but not in an Alpina.
The OEM (ish) looks of the Dynavin units look great in the cabin of an E46.
I currently have the single slot CD player not even the joy of a multichanger in the boot.
B3 3.3 Coupe #090

Charles

Post by Charles » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:12 am

ali-bumble wrote:I currently have the single slot CD player not even the joy of a multichanger in the boot.
You can have mine - but it's been buggered for years :shock:
Charles

ali
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by ali » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:00 pm

Did you make any progress in this direction or is it on the back burner at the moment with everything else going on with the car?
B3 3.3 Coupe #090

Charles

Post by Charles » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:17 pm

ali-bumble wrote:Did you make any progress in this direction or is it on the back burner at the moment with everything else going on with the car?
Having spent the last month or so in first the S60 and then the family Polo - both of which have an infotainment centre including satnav and BT phone connection, I am decided upon going ahead with this in the New Year
Charles

ali
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by ali » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:02 pm

I can't seem to find any really good info on whether it works well with Apple devices with definitive answers on satnav connectivity and what needs directly plugged in and what will bluetooth.
Before I spend £600 it'd be nice to know the answers. Do you have any links to reviews or articles you have perused that helped you make up your mind?
B3 3.3 Coupe #090

Chas
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Chas » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:41 am

ali-bumble wrote:I'll watch this space eagerly to see how you get on.
I have come close on a few occasions to buying the N6 as the entertainment on my B3 is woeful to say the least
Ditto for the B10 V8

Charles

Post by Charles » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:07 pm

I won't be able to help with Apple connectivity ali-bumble as I have a loathing for anything Apple-related - hence why I wanted to wait for the N7 which promises improved Android connectivity.

However, from what I have read here , there are significant improvements over the previous model and it is pretty much plug and play, from what I can tell.

As for the E39, Chas - it appears that there will be an N7 as seen here

If you want a chat, then these guys are extremely helpful and knowledgeable. They hold the UK licence for Dynavin

The good news is I am extremely confident that my good lady has bought me one for Christmas so I should have further updates on this soon.
Charles

ali
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by ali » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:49 am

Charles wrote:
The good news is I am extremely confident that my good lady has bought me one for Christmas so I should have further updates on this soon.
Ooh Roll on Monday !!
What a lovely Christmas treat
B3 3.3 Coupe #090

Charles

Post by Charles » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:12 pm

ali-bumble wrote:
Charles wrote:The good news is I am extremely confident that my good lady has bought me one for Christmas so I should have further updates on this soon.
Ooh Roll on Monday !!
What a lovely Christmas treat
Indeed :D

The only challenge I am now facing is trying to purchase the relocation carrier to allow me to move the aircon control unit to where the sunglasses pouch sits just above the ashtray.

As I have the smoker pack (ashtray and cigar lighter) and want to keep it to give me a 12V socket, I am trying to buy part number 51167001411. However, this is no longer available from BMW so I have had to go searching online before resorting to BMW breakers. I think I have found one on ebay but only time will tell - it claims to be a brand new part and is due to be delivered just after New Year. Fingers crossed!

In the meantime, I will have plenty of time to familiarise myself with the various bits in the box and watch the various youtube videos which show how to go about installing:

Video part 1
Video part 2

On another note, I have just purchased a previously loved aircon control unit which upgrades my current one which was playing up. The upgrade unit dates from March 2003 and is much slimmer than the original one, which will make relocation simpler too as there will be more space behind the unit for cables.

Getting there ...
Charles

Charles

Post by Charles » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:57 pm

Guess who got a Dynavin N7 for Christmas? :D :D :D

Just waiting for the lower storage frame to relocate the aircon unit and then I can crack on with fitting it.
Charles

Charles

Post by Charles » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:56 pm

The final part has arrived - the lower storage frame that allows me to relocate the aircon control panel - so now I need to find a few hours to fit it all.

Problem is I am back to school tomorrow so it will have to wait until the weekend at the earliest
Charles

ali
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by ali » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:42 am

Ooooohh How tantalisingly close
Roll on the weekend
Being the B3S I take it you have the later thinner climate control panel with the extra buttons then?
B3 3.3 Coupe #090