Well feast your eyes on this lunacy! 6-1-19 tinker

The place to talk about ALPINAs.
e.g. News, Reviews, Insurance, Warranties, Running Costs, Sightings, general questions etc.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

simon13
ALPINA
ALPINA

Well feast your eyes on this lunacy! 6-1-19 tinker

Post by simon13 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:15 am

As some will know I'm playing games and sold two of my cars this last week. The e36 Alpina touring and my e34 M5

To make way for this.............its a quite a long story but i shall try to simplify it

http://www.alpina-archive.com/?p=424&nm ... iTurbo-389

take one badly crash damaged e34 bi turbo and transport all its mechanicals into

A Dutch 525i touring in special ordered Avus blue, its other spec was double sun roofs (eek) heated black sports leather, air con, cruise so a very nice spec 525i manual touring by anyones standards. What would make it better? Twin turbo M30 up its chuff.

Its a stalled project and this whole escapade has been over a long time. As you can imagine getting all this to even the state its in now is a serious feat. Its very much unfinished and needs some graft to get it into a MOT'd car you'd like to use but thats what dreamers like me are for to have a go!

So thats the main mission, is to turn this into a Bi turbo touring, its a mutant as Alpina never offered this from factory. Theres a few other cars about so one more won't hurt. One beauty that appeared on here no so long ago (inspirational)

My main question is, would alpina ever recognize it as a re shell?! All paper work is present for both cars. So all bi turbo documents, dash plaque, engine and its number. The original shell was mullered even the most talented bodyshop would of had trouble making it into anything you'd of wanted to own. So this route is a great way to make use of it? I mean

Here is as it stands

Probably the biggest most quirky car i've taken on. I'm still trying to find words of what to say describe it to the insurance company!

There are box loads of alpina/donor parts still to go on its all 95% there. Engine box diff are in along with the correct wiring looms to make it all work in an E34. In very simple terms its a bolt in conversion. But we're adding in some extra factors to spice it all up, like the passage of time. I've been very lucky to be offered this as enough people know i'm a alpina fan and if its a touring then im there!! Once in a life time chance

Going in deep!
Last edited by simon13 on Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Metrics
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Metrics » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:28 am

You're a brave man, but you only live once! Have no doubt it will be a very special thing once you've busted your balls to get it all sorted.

Very best of luck with it all, look forward to seeing how it all develops.

PS. someone out there must be seriously happy having bought that M5 8)
2019 G31 B5 Biturbo No.299
2012 F10 D5 Biturbo No.13
1993 Mercedes 190E 2.6 Sportline spec
1991 Mk1 Golf GTI Sportline cabriolet

Charles

Post by Charles » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:31 am

More space to park in Amersham then?

Good luck Simon - I've watched the lack of progress on that car every time I've visited Phil for several years now :D
Charles
Teacher of Chemistry and driver of ALPINAs - not necessarily in that order ;)
B3S Touring (49/116) - been to the moon and now on the way back!
Renault Grand Espace - not mine but the wife's!

E24man
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by E24man » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:24 am

Last edited by E24man on Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

rattusM3
ALPI
ALPI

Post by rattusM3 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:47 pm

You know, I sometimes wonder what I was thinking when I decide to take on a project of sorts, and then I read one of your posts and tell myself to stop being a tart and just get on with it ... have fun :lol:

Kev
2002 Alpina B3 3.3 #220
2006 E46 M3
1992 E30 M3 (sold - what a twat)
1986 E24 M6 (working on)
Ford Grand C-Max Family Wagon
And lots of other BMWs from the past

simon13
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by simon13 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:13 pm

thanks i'm thinking i'd like to add the narrow grill and pre facelift look for it like no.36 I prefer it and seeing as its not a factory car as such i think i can pick and choose on such things its like a blank canvas! What brakes and suspension to run, too many choices!

greenelekta
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by greenelekta » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:32 pm

Yes, pre facelift would be in keeping and no sill covers to worry about. Standard rear bumper and Alpina front. have you had it delivered yet?
E39 B10 V8S Touring Brass Metallic
Z3 M Coupe Dakar Yellow
Z4 Monaco Blue
SLK55 AMG Silver
Maserati Gransport Alfieri Grigio

polynesian2
ALPI
ALPI

Post by polynesian2 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:02 pm

Simon, I'm still looking for the lunacy in this thread! It seems to be be totally sensible to me- finishing a fantastic rare Alpina off- reboot or not, it will have all of the Alpina DNA and be very special. Nice base car to use, well done to Surrey rolling road for that bit if not for the completion standards! I used to bump his gvreadvonnoistonheads every 6 months or so asking about progress :-)

Good luck to you and I'd love to see it- either to help out a bit or when it's finished.

simon13
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by simon13 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:17 pm

No Dave, i've not sorted delivery yet , just paid for it. I'm trying to not be in hurry as i could do with a clear out in my garage before i take on something of this magnitude. Lots of thinking to be done as i'm not sure where to put it as my E30 is now running and has the garage residency as it epic and its the bestest. But i dont want bi turbo on driveway blocking it in hmmm.

polynesian2 yes i've read the pistonheads thread, you and E24man and some others have given it some healthy bumpage over the years. I know both Phil and Charlie and its sad its not quite come to fruition. Its something like everyone i guess whos been CPC will have seen, but not thought much else about it. I'd never in my mind thought something like that would ever get offered out forsale if you get me?

I'll be honest if it wasn't reshelled into a touring i wouldn't of gone for it as we know i'm a paid up member of the Alpina touring fan club will be my 4th one!!

nealpina
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by nealpina » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:56 pm

Wow, looking forward to the project updates
Oscar Wilde & Burkard Bovensiepen: I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

ALPINA B3 3.2 Coupe Switch-Tronic ALPINA Blue
ALPINA B10 3.3 Saloon Manual Mora Metallic

E24man
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by E24man » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:44 pm

Last edited by E24man on Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

simon13
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by simon13 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:26 pm

Points noted,

My old bi turbo had no problems keeping cool, one of the few things it was ok at!!

One of the front struts/shocks was damaged in the accident. The entire bi turbo rear axle is fitted already, so diff - without oil cooler its "slightly" damaged from accident. trailing arms, brakes, shocks and springs is all done. And 525i tourings had SLS from factory so an easy part to get done

My thoughts?! I'm really tempted by trying coil overs something high quality like KW Variant 2 dare i say it! While i'm on a roll, the thought of some 6 speed M5 brakes would be a great improvement, fantastic setup they really are and make light work of the e34's bulk on road or track

All the digital dash is there, loom, display and sensors i've seen it all.

I'm thinking i can make this a bit how i want it, which is if its possible a is a quirky seriously quick e34 touring with improved brakes and more simple suspension.

I've already bought an M5 steering box, i'll be taking inspiration from my old M5 as it did/does alot of things better than a bi turbo

simon13
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by simon13 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:34 pm

no one likes the M power and coilover "improvements" :lol: :D

Chas
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Chas » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:27 am

This is a special and it'll never make the purists happy so don't feel bad about making 'improvements'. For what it's worth, I'm also considering a more modern set-up on the BT because the SLS is shot and is a crude compromise these days. Same with the brakes which are ridiculously poor value for money - they cost a packet and don't do a much better job than standard brakes.

If I were you, I'd go for building a BT Touring for the new millennium 😉😎

ali
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by ali » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:18 am

simon13 wrote:no one likes the M power and coilover "improvements" :lol: :D
Your car so build it how you like.
Having owned the M5 you know it's best points and if you can amalgamate them into thee Touring project then all the better IMVHO.
Why not have the best of both worlds
B3 3.3 Coupe #090
D3 2.0 Biturbo Touring #098