16th April 2007 - Best Rollercoaster in the world ?

Ramblings and thoughts from Neil
neil
Administrator
Administrator

16th April 2007 - Best Rollercoaster in the world ?

Post by neil » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:47 pm

I managed to pop over to Universal Studios / Islands of Adventure yesterday. This plus the fact that in the last year I seem to have ridden quite a lot of coasters got me thinking....

Here's my top 10.

1. Hulk (Universal)
1= Duelling dragons (Universal)
3. Krakon (SeaWorld)
4. Rita Queen of Speed (Alton Towers)
5. Everest (Disney Animal Kingdom)
5= Tower of Terror (MGM Studios)
7. Oblivion (Alton Towers)
8. Nemesis (Alton Towers)
9. Big one (Blackpool)
10. Jurasic Park river adventure (Universal)

The one that got away:
Rock 'n' Roller Coaster® Starring Aerosmith

Others worthy of mention:
Testtrack (Epcot)
Spiderman (Universal (virtual))
Starwars (MGM (virtual))
Journey to Atlantis (sea World)
Air (Alton towers)
Doctor Dooms Fear fall. (Universal)

D4
Administrator
Administrator

Post by D4 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:57 pm

it's a tough life for some..

hard to believe that you're actually away on business rather than on holiday!!!!
2011 BMW 520d M Sport Saloon
2008 BMW 120i M Sport 5 Door

Previous ALPINAs
1984 E28 B9 3.5
1989 E32 B11 3.5
2000 E39 B10 V8 Touring
2005 E85 Roadster S #344

Twitter: d4bmw (follow me for all the latest ALPINA updates and other car related guff)

Petrolhead
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Petrolhead » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:20 pm

Went to Thorpe Park during the holidays with a few friends. They were all keen to go on Stealth - the 205ft high one that goes from 0-80mph in about 2 seconds. However, past experiences at Thorpe Park sort of put me off. Let me explain:

Last time I went, we got there early. We did a lot of smaller rides in the morning, then had a huge family megasize bucket feast thing at KFC. Then, in some sort of brainwave, we decided to do all of the big rides after this. First we did X No Way Out which is really disorientating (as it's in the dark) and quite sick making. Then, we did Colossus (roller coaster with the most invertions in the world... apparently). When we got off this, I was feeling rather sick. So, in another of my infamous brainwaves, I decided to follow my fellow sheep and go on Nemisis Inferno. By the end of the ride, I was holding the sick in my mouth so I wouldn't do it all over the lady infront of me. I jumped out of the seat, cheeks bulging, and calmy walked out of the building, where I could finally chuck it up in a flower bed. NOT a nice experience.

Anyway, no. I didn't go on Stealth. Did all the other big ones though, despite having 5 pieces of KFC's delicious chicken :lol:

My fav. roller coaster has to be either Colossus or Oblivion at Alton Towers. Never experienced any American ones mainly because I've never been across the pond!
My Website!

"If you don't feel out of control, you're not driving fast enough." - Mario Andretti

neil
Administrator
Administrator

Post by neil » Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:11 am

Alex

I know what you mean I held the record of 3 consecutive trips to Alton Towers and 3 times being sick ! The last occasion this happened we managed to get into the park on a very quiet friday - there were no queues for anything - the 8th back-2-back go on Nemesis resulted in exactly the same scenario you mention above !

I spent the rest of the day sat in a cafe feeling sorry for myself - as this was the first day of a stag do it was heavy going for the rest of the weekend - luckily by the time I left Alton Towers I was feeling better.

Since then I've been a bit more sensible - however it was close yesterday - 2 x Hulk straight onto dr. dooms fear fall straight into spiderman, straight onto Jurasic park, 2 x dueling dragons - was about time to call it quits and head over to Hard rock cafe...

All possible as no queues (top tip for those visiting Orlando !! - especially if they issued a Tornado warning)

D4
Administrator
Administrator

Post by D4 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:46 am

neil wrote: All possible as no queues (top tip for those visiting Orlando !! - especially if they issued a Tornado warning)
Oh boo hoo...

meanwhile the rest of us are stuck here actually working for a living!! :wink:
2011 BMW 520d M Sport Saloon
2008 BMW 120i M Sport 5 Door

Previous ALPINAs
1984 E28 B9 3.5
1989 E32 B11 3.5
2000 E39 B10 V8 Touring
2005 E85 Roadster S #344

Twitter: d4bmw (follow me for all the latest ALPINA updates and other car related guff)

neil
Administrator
Administrator

Post by neil » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:25 am

Yes I can understand your feelings Andy - espcecially after you've being driving someone elses M5 for over a month and now someone elses Roadster S :) - sounds like the ultimate roller coaster to me !

neil
Administrator
Administrator

Post by neil » Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:03 pm

Just watched Ultimate Roller Coasters on Sky Three and suffice to say none of the above we listed !

So looks like there's plenty more - I think they were all in the states - but all over the place !

blacky
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by blacky » Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:29 pm

wont get to many of the theme parks this year :( no point with a wife that cant go on the rides :( on the up side we will get to go loads once the sprog is big enough :D
the start of something good

thomas v8
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by thomas v8 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:38 pm

neil wrote:Just watched Ultimate Roller Coasters on Sky Three and suffice to say none of the above we listed !

So looks like there's plenty more - I think they were all in the states - but all over the place !

i and my partner just wacthed it too was scary. The thing i find worrying is that she likes them more than me. :shock: :roll: I will have to get out in my alp more to get my excitement level up. :wink:

Space mountain is the worst we have been on but nothing compared to those on the tele earlier.
current cars:
E39 528i touring Auto
Come on you GUNNERS

previous Beemers:
E39 Alpina B10 V8 THE BEAST: :auto
Mods. GRuppe M CAI.

E34 520i Touring: Manual.
E39 530i sport:Auto.
E39 M5:Manual.
E39 Alpina B10 V8:Auto.
E46 320i coupe:Auto.
E36 318i se saloon:Manual.