Things I don't like about my B6 ...

The place to talk about ALPINAs.
e.g. News, Reviews, Insurance, Warranties, Running Costs, Sightings, general questions etc.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

PerryGunn
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by PerryGunn » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:36 am

HouTexAlpina wrote:I have a B6 Gran Coupe on order that is scheduled to be built this month. When I test drove an M6 Gran Coupe the dealer told me that the auto stop/start feature could be turned off permanently with the button on the dash and would not revert to on when the engine was restarted. Is this not the case with the B6?
If you refer to my post above, you'll see that this is a coding option on the car.

BMW use the coding functionality to set/activate different features in different markets and, with the North American cars, seem to activate the TC_MSA_MEMORY feature to allow auto stop/start to retain its last-used state - it's probably EU regulations that insist that auto stop/start is active by default in the European markets

In the same way, if you have the full LED adaptive lighting pack, the anti-dazzle beam splitting feature is available in Europe but not in the US because it hasn't been approved for use - again, this can be activated on the US cars by coding...
Alpina Roadster S #320
BMW X3 F25 LCI 30d

Burnham
ALP
ALP

Post by Burnham » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:53 am

Thanks Perry, Im going to speak with my dealer about this - I'll be sure to copy the detail you've added above as no doubt they will need it :o)

PerryGunn
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by PerryGunn » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:37 pm

Burnham wrote:Thanks Perry, Im going to speak with my dealer about this - I'll be sure to copy the detail you've added above as no doubt they will need it :o)
Just to manage your expectations, I think you'll find that your dealer won't do it... some of them don't even understand how to do anything other than resetting to vehicle order defaults for that country. For example, after a recent software update our F25 lost the ability to open the power tailgate from the keyfob without unlocking the car first (before the update it worked), dealer couldn't work out how to fix it, even had it in for a day to look at recoding. I let them have a go, then recoded it myself...

Lots of third party coders around that can do it though, some will even do it remotely.

There are lots of other options that can be coded too - I've enabled a lot of them on our F25

Have a look here for an idea of what can be done. None of them should affect warranty as they are all existing behavioural options in the ECUs - be aware that if the dealers update the software versions in the car at any time, you may lose some of the coding and have to redo it.
Alpina Roadster S #320
BMW X3 F25 LCI 30d

HouTexAlpina

Post by HouTexAlpina » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:46 pm

PerryGunn wrote:
HouTexAlpina wrote:I have a B6 Gran Coupe on order that is scheduled to be built this month. When I test drove an M6 Gran Coupe the dealer told me that the auto stop/start feature could be turned off permanently with the button on the dash and would not revert to on when the engine was restarted. Is this not the case with the B6?
If you refer to my post above, you'll see that this is a coding option on the car.

BMW use the coding functionality to set/activate different features in different markets and, with the North American cars, seem to activate the TC_MSA_MEMORY feature to allow auto stop/start to retain its last-used state - it's probably EU regulations that insist that auto stop/start is active by default in the European markets

In the same way, if you have the full LED adaptive lighting pack, the anti-dazzle beam splitting feature is available in Europe but not in the US because it hasn't been approved for use - again, this can be activated on the US cars by coding...
That makes sense, thanks. What doesn't make sense is why BMW decides which features to activate in which markets when there is no apparent violation. A friend of mine recently had a 550i and he was able to reprogram the TPM system coding to show actual pressures in each tire instead of just a warning display--the system was capable of doing this but BMW decided that it should not be available in the US market. Go figure.

sward
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by sward » Tue May 02, 2017 10:51 pm

I only have iDrive in my i3, not my D3BT, but I am sure I am able to disable the "touch-writing" feature so it doesn't write when I touch the top of the iDrive controller. I am pretty sure I saw an option in one of the menus to allow that. Sorry this isn't a definitive answer but hope it helps.

Brooke

Post by Brooke » Sat May 13, 2017 1:16 am

Added numbers 2 and 3 to OP.

HouTexAlpina

Post by HouTexAlpina » Sun May 14, 2017 8:45 pm

I was surprised to hear that the B6 Alpina does not have a power closing trunk, but after doing some internet research I found that none of the 6 series cars have this. Something to do with interfering with the motorized rear view camera that is incorporated into the roundel on the trunk lid. Kind of sucks that BMW could not figure this out and put a power closing trunk on such an expensive car--not very good engineering. Certainly not fatal, but disappointing.

I have power rear side window sun shades on my current Audi S8 and only engage them when I accidently hit the window up button from the driver's seat when the window is already up. I agree however, if you really want to use them they should operate from both the front and the back like in my Audi--not sure why BMW decided to only have the controls in the back--another engineering error IMHO.

Brooke

Post by Brooke » Mon May 15, 2017 1:41 am

Burnham wrote:Yup, this annoys me too...but not as much as forgetting to hit the stop-start button when I get in.
Mine stays off. Mostly. Once a week or so, the engine will stop at a stop sign. No pattern that I can see ...

PhillV8S
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by PhillV8S » Mon May 15, 2017 8:06 am

I had the rear blinds in my old e65 760i. These were able to be controlled from the drivers seat. Strange they haven't fitted it to the 6 with rear blinds.
Range Rover SDV8.
E64 B6s #100 Cabriolet (Now Sold)
Maserati Gransport

chinauto

Re: Things I don't like about my B6 ...

Post by chinauto » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:13 pm

Brooke wrote: 2- Can't put the side sunshades up from the front seat. I can operate the rear one from front and back, but the side ones only from the back. I know they shade the rear windows, but it's not unreasonable that the driver might want to put them up on a hot day.
Hello all. My first post... from the driver's seat, the same button you are using to operate the rear sunshade... try holding it down for longer than 1 second. That should allow you to operate the side sunshades as well as the rear in both the up and down direction.

Brooke

Re: Things I don't like about my B6 ...

Post by Brooke » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:48 am

chinauto wrote:Hello all. My first post... from the driver's seat, the same button you are using to operate the rear sunshade... try holding it down for longer than 1 second. That should allow you to operate the side sunshades as well as the rear in both the up and down direction.
Really? Can't wait to try it! Thanks.