B6S Brake Discs

The place to talk about ALPINAs.
e.g. News, Reviews, Insurance, Warranties, Running Costs, Sightings, general questions etc.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

PhillV8S
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by PhillV8S » Tue May 02, 2017 6:15 pm

Good to meet you finally Rob, I am going to concentrate on some creature comforts next so DAB and iPod connection is next on my ever growing "to do" list, the idrive update may have to wait due to the wood trim differences. I will keep my eye out for a decent trim set in the mean time on eBay.
Will let you know how the pedal experiment goes when I get my car back.
Range Rover SDV8.
E64 B6s #100 Cabriolet (Now Sold)
Maserati Gransport

WINNE1
ALPI
ALPI

Post by WINNE1 » Tue May 02, 2017 8:29 pm

robmarrs wrote:Here is the info I have on the measurements.

The Zimmermann Front discs are listed on the Zimmermann product selector website under B6S Coupe and are the same as those listed for E63 M6 or E60 M5, I see no reason that they should not fit any of the B5, B5s or B6 models. There is info on the web that Zimmerman are an OE manufacturer to BMW, and I personally am much happier ordering these than other brands.

The Zimmermann rears at the moment are an assumption of fit based on the measurements we took off Les's B6 discs, the discs listed are for the E63 M6 or E60 M5 and have the same dimensions as the measured B6 disc,

I will put my money where my mouth is and will be ordering some shortly!
Fantastic news about the Zimmerman ones any news on cost?
B6 convertible 4.4 black with silver decals .
B5 saloon 4.4 black with silver decals .

robmarrs
ALP
ALP

Post by robmarrs » Tue May 02, 2017 9:36 pm

WINNE1 wrote:
robmarrs wrote:Here is the info I have on the measurements.

The Zimmermann Front discs are listed on the Zimmermann product selector website under B6S Coupe and are the same as those listed for E63 M6 or E60 M5, I see no reason that they should not fit any of the B5, B5s or B6 models. There is info on the web that Zimmerman are an OE manufacturer to BMW, and I personally am much happier ordering these than other brands.

The Zimmermann rears at the moment are an assumption of fit based on the measurements we took off Les's B6 discs, the discs listed are for the E63 M6 or E60 M5 and have the same dimensions as the measured B6 disc,

I will put my money where my mouth is and will be ordering some shortly!
Fantastic news about the Zimmerman ones any news on cost?
Just ordered the 2 rear discs with pads and wear sensor, €488.00 delivered.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361590711211 & http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/381372356168

Lets hope it all goes to plan !
Alpina B6S Convertible
BMW E46 M3 SMG Coupe - Track Car - Gone
TVR Chimaera 400 - Turbocharged - Gone
Porsche Cayenne GTS 4.8, Oops, the dark side has landed!
BMW E34 Racing Dynamics K38 - Gone
Alpina B3S Convertible - Gone due to B6S
BMW X5 4.6is - Gone
Alpina Roadster 3.4S - Gone
BMW E46 330d M Sport Touring - Gone
BMW M3 Evo E36 - Gone due to B3S
BMW 840 Ci Sport - Gone, but what a car
BMW M3 E30 - sadly departed

Too little time...Too many cars!

Bebs
ALPI
ALPI

Post by Bebs » Tue May 02, 2017 10:18 pm

That's near enough the same price as OEM Alpina discs and pads from a Dutch main dealer. Why faff around with non OEM discs in that case?
B5 Touring (now sold)| 360 Modena| Granturismo S | Smart4two

robmarrs
ALP
ALP

Post by robmarrs » Tue May 02, 2017 11:43 pm

Bebs wrote:That's near enough the same price as OEM Alpina discs and pads from a Dutch main dealer. Why faff around with non OEM discs in that case?
Bebs I read your price comparisons in another post which was informative, but I am not adverse to "modifying" my vehicles for aesthetic or performance purposes, and will happily spanner most mechanical items myself and then I know it is done properly and have a warm feeling that the labour cost me nothing. The fact that you can order it on ebay with full protection, including returning it even if that is just because "you found it cheaper elsewhere", and still get it delivered to your door with a few clicks coupled with it arriving in 3-5 days, suits me. I don't speak dutch, I don't want to faff about providing proof of ownership of an Alpina, making phone calls, sending emails or faxes, and finding the dealer may not want to ship to the UK etc etc. We are all different..... some will just open their wallet and pay BMW UK prices! I will when I have to, but not if there is a viable option.

But for me the real point is there is no confidence that anybody has found anything other than the ALPINA parts that fit, if I can find other parts that fit without modification and cost less, then it has to be good, I don't like being overcharged, which plainly we are in the UK. Hopefully this will give owners an option.

If I had to buy a supercharger then I woud probably book the chunnel and drive over there to collect it.

As an aside I ordered a supercharger belt and 4 x wheel centre caps a month ago from Synter Sunningdale and they have still not arrived........ can I complain..... No, is there a monopoly....... Yes! is an Alpina wonderful....... Oh yes.
Alpina B6S Convertible
BMW X5 4.6is - Gone

Bebs
ALPI
ALPI

Post by Bebs » Wed May 03, 2017 9:19 am

Point taken and it will be interesting to learn of the outcome of your Zimmerman order.
I might just add that the vast majority of us continentals do speak fluent English.. it really isn't the dark ages anymore.

With regards to the supercharger belt - I had to get one urgently from the Alpina factory when I was stuck in France with a failed alternator last year. I was in contact with Christopher Kratzer the parts manager at the factory but had to order the belt through a French Alpina agent. The belt was shipped from the factory the next working day and arrived at the French dealership the following day.
It was the same story with my replacement supercharger. Shipped from the factory the next working day and arrived promptly in Holland the day after that.
I did order a new coolant expansion tank from Sytner last year - it took them 4 weeks (despite the part being available from the factory immediately)
What can I say.. British customer service clearly has a long way to go yet.
B5 Touring (now sold)| 360 Modena| Granturismo S | Smart4two

PhillV8S
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by PhillV8S » Wed May 03, 2017 9:21 am

Has anyone managed to get any Alpina parts posted to the UK from a European mainland dealer and if so was there any hesitating from the European dealer?
Range Rover SDV8.
Maserati Gransport

Gee.Singh
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Gee.Singh » Wed May 03, 2017 9:39 pm

Bebs wrote:That's near enough the same price as OEM Alpina discs and pads from a Dutch main dealer. Why faff around with non OEM discs in that case?
To be honest , on a car like the B6s convertible,I would have stuck to OEM genuine parts

I remember before Phill bought his one from Sytner,
They fitted genuine OEM front and rear discs and pads

Zimmerman is Okay, but you have a very rare and disireable car and I would of stuck to OEM genuine parts regardless of costs

On 2 B7's and 1 B12, I used genuine oem parts from Sytner for front and rear discs and pads and handbrake shoes etc

E24man
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by E24man » Wed May 03, 2017 9:56 pm

Last edited by E24man on Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gee.Singh
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Gee.Singh » Wed May 03, 2017 9:59 pm

Totally agree
Your on the same page as me Kevin

PhillV8S
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by PhillV8S » Wed May 03, 2017 10:34 pm

I know I am fortunate as Gee mentions I have new discs and pads all round on mine so this subject won't pop up for my consideration for quite awhile but in defence of Robin, this is just brake discs and as such are a "consumable item". The B10 V8s don't have any alternative discs available from any supplier so the choice is not there.
As for the B5/6 owners finding an alternative supplier for discs, this seems perfectly reasonable to me. Alpina fit many standard BMW brakes to many of their models, just not all of them.
I personally find the idea of Alpina roundels on bonnets and boots more irritating.
We all like Alpina's but if we can save a few bob along the way why not. Plenty of members have fitted none OEM suspension which I would argue is far more noticeable and a move away from the original Alpina DNA.
Range Rover SDV8.
Maserati Gransport

robmarrs
ALP
ALP

Post by robmarrs » Wed May 03, 2017 10:39 pm

Gee.Singh wrote:
To be honest , on a car like the B6s convertible,I would have stuck to OEM genuine parts

I remember before Phill bought his one from Sytner,
They fitted genuine OEM front and rear discs and pads

Zimmerman is Okay, but you have a very rare and disireable car and I would of stuck to OEM genuine parts regardless of costs

On 2 B7's and 1 B12, I used genuine oem parts from Sytner for front and rear discs and pads and handbrake shoes etc
Hi Gee, having owned an 8 I love the B12, however the discs for both your vehicles are available fairly easily, as they are mainstream BMW parts not "Alpina only" as with the B5 / B6 disc setup ....... please correct me If I am wrong on the B12, but I don't think they are any different to those on the 850CSI, or the e34 M5 3.8 discs.

I am pretty convinced that the "Alpina only" B5/B6 discs are likely to be manufactured by either ATE or Zimmermann as both are German companies it does not make sense for a small company like Alpina to go elsewhere for small batch manufacturing, particularly with ISO manufacturing certification and the TUV stuff that the german market requires.

There are arguments for using OEM and aftermarket, financially I can do either, but as I am not planning on selling the car anytime soon, I am just interested in finding another way to do this...... as I have with lots of my other cars, I like solving problems and get great satisfaction when it all works, and if it doesn't work then somebody with an M5/6 will get a cheap set of discs on ebay!
Alpina B6S Convertible
BMW X5 4.6is - Gone

E24man
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by E24man » Wed May 03, 2017 11:11 pm

Last edited by E24man on Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

robmarrs
ALP
ALP

Post by robmarrs » Wed May 03, 2017 11:12 pm

Blimey, I really have stirred this up a bit, I just wanted to find an answer to a question many B5/B6 owners do ask ..... like Phil says its a consumable item.

I am more concerned when I here stories of main dealers fitting the wrong OE parts to these cars because they don't even know what it is. I did not get mine from Sytners so didn't have the benefit of doing a deal during the sale to rectify the rear brakes or having a BMW AUW which I know Phil has made much use of, scaringly so if it was coming out of ones own pocket!

Having done Concours with my old MKII RS2000 in my twenties with a car I stripped, rebuilt and then won plenty of show trophies on the club circuit...... with a highly modfied car, ...... I have heard it all before about originality and OE, at the end of the day it's my car my way.

Did I mention the CIC I fitted to the Alpina :D ..... duck, more incoming? :lol: :lol:

How many posts do I need to get my "L" plate :?:
Alpina B6S Convertible
BMW X5 4.6is - Gone

robmarrs
ALP
ALP

Post by robmarrs » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:22 pm

Update on B6s rear brakes

I bought the M6 Zimmerman rear disc and pad set from a German Factors on ebay, W&S Autoteile, 2 Discs, set of Pads, and wear sensor. euro 488.75, so around £430 delivered.

REAR Zimmermann Part Numbers 150.3475.70 & 150.3476.70 - They are handed, so you need to order 1 of each.

Well the good news is they do indeed fit the car without fouling anything, the minor point is that the drilling for the small disc to hub retaining screw does not line up at all so can't be used which is no real problem, I can only assume the M6/M5 hubs have slightly different drillings to the 650/550 hubs.

So we B6/B5 and "s" owners now have a choice that fit straight out of the box other than the "Alpina only OE" discs, which at some point will become an obsolete part.

Personally I like drilled discs and have no problem with ordering German made parts from a German company and seller located in Germany, I believe there is far less chance of these being chinese fakes TBH.

I plan to do the front discs in the same vain in a month ot two.
Last edited by robmarrs on Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Alpina B6S Convertible
BMW X5 4.6is - Gone