2003 E46 B3 S Saloon DME / ECU Desparately Wanted

For Sale section - not Cars - please add them to the register. This is for parts

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

Mr Noops

2003 E46 B3 S Saloon DME / ECU Desparately Wanted

Post by Mr Noops » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:50 pm

Thanks for looking - sorry if this is in the wrong forum - as stated, diagnositcs indicate I need a new one and BMW want £1128+VAT (minus core) so I need your help.

Either, and ECU or any good ideas about how to get mobile once again - driving along - beep - EML - new DME.

Am also trying re-builders, etc

07854-505765

simon13
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by simon13 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:30 pm

id of thought you could get a normal 6 pot ECU and have the b3S map programmed on to it. Hard bit is getting a genuine ECU to read copy

I see your surrey where abouts?

Mr Noops

Post by Mr Noops » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:04 pm

Hi Simon - thanks for getting in touch - am in South Croydon.

Mr Noops

2003 E46 B3 S Saloon DME / ECU - UPDATE / FIX

Post by Mr Noops » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:31 pm

Right - here's the rundown: Turns out the ABS accumulator pump seized, taking out the controller also and melting the power wire to the fusebox and the signal wire to the ECU, taking parallel wiring for other items with it.
Weirdly, the wiring melted before the fuse went. 30A fuse was checked and found to the correct value. Very lucky not to have an engine room fire so will promptly buy an extinguisher.
So, diagnose, order / fit new parts and rebuild wiring loom etc.
The original ECU had, in fact, survived and is back in the car. A copy has been taken as future insurance.
Waiting for Alpina to air freight the new intake manifold gasket from Buchloe took about 4 weeks but it did come and was the correct one.

The guys that did all this: http://www.bwchiptune.co.uk/ they are awesome - close to a station, technically brilliant, polite, accutate etc - cannot recommend them enough. They are very familiar with Alpinas, not freaked out, understand the parts, can expedite ordering etc. If they can't fix it, no-one can. They are also great for general servicing etc.

Mr Noops

Post by Mr Noops » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:27 pm

Sorry - VACUUM pump, NOT ABS pump, for avoidance of doubt.
Sounds like other folks have had this issue with various symptoms...

bss325i
ALPI
ALPI

Re: 2003 E46 B3 S Saloon DME / ECU - UPDATE / FIX

Post by bss325i » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:41 pm

Mr Noops wrote:Right - here's the rundown: Turns out the ABS accumulator pump seized, taking out the controller also and melting the power wire to the fusebox and the signal wire to the ECU, taking parallel wiring for other items with it.
Weirdly, the wiring melted before the fuse went. 30A fuse was checked and found to the correct value. Very lucky not to have an engine room fire so will promptly buy an extinguisher.
So, diagnose, order / fit new parts and rebuild wiring loom etc.
The original ECU had, in fact, survived and is back in the car. A copy has been taken as future insurance.
Waiting for Alpina to air freight the new intake manifold gasket from Buchloe took about 4 weeks but it did come and was the correct one.

The guys that did all this: http://www.bwchiptune.co.uk/ they are awesome - close to a station, technically brilliant, polite, accutate etc - cannot recommend them enough. They are very familiar with Alpinas, not freaked out, understand the parts, can expedite ordering etc. If they can't fix it, no-one can. They are also great for general servicing etc.
Back in october i bought an E46 3.3 with a throttle issue which someone had tried to repair by fitting a new throttle then gave up.

I traced the fault to the ECU and used BW chip tune to sort me out a replacement ECU. It was the software that was the issue after trying to copy my original software onto a replacement ECU so i had to borrow another known good Alpina 3.3 ECU to copy, after this was done it sorted the problem,

Cant recommend Jason enough for this kind of thing!
B10 V8/1 #81 plus a few other BMW's.

Previously enjoyed
E46 B3 3.3 coupe #274
E60 B5 #329
E46 B3 3.3 Saloon #450
E92 B3 Biturbo #185
E46 B3 3.3 Saloon #114
E34 B10 Biturbo #445
E36 B3 3.0 switchtronic coupe #185
E46 B3S convertible #34
Many other BMW's

Haroonali701

ecu

Post by Haroonali701 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:44 am

did you get sorted with an ecu i have sone sitting here i can have replicated onto another for you and am also in croydon