A place for Polls / Surveys

Moderator: neil

Scotland Independence

Total votes: 0

E24man
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by E24man » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:19 pm

Last edited by E24man on Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TopCat
A
A

Post by TopCat » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:48 pm

I have many chums in my home town of Inverness- interesting their take on things
1 They are now refusing scottish notes- happy with english £50s for any cash deals as they don't want to be stuck with them post ScOut
2 Law firms in Inverness are being asked to set up English/welsh companies rather than scottish ones for their Inverness based clients

It is also amazing that of the 7 largest Scottish firms all but 1 has said that they have contingency plans to move HQ south in event of ScOut

The Ch Isles certainly have their problems (as does the IOM) but at least the IOM has VAT sharing with UK. as well as a positive bank balance and as the fastest growing western democracy (grew by 4.5% last year) a number of significant advantages over ScOut.

Iom and Ch Isles have own currencies which are 1:1 linked to Sterling- just as Alex would like - but crown dependencies have no say in sterling as would happen to ScOut if Alex decided to use sterling.

If fact Alex S is so keen on the IOM approach he is often here liaising etc (and charging £37.50 per ticket to listen to him) not many takers there................

Selfishly I can see 1 possible advantage to ScOut- I could spend more than my 90 days on the mainland!
Kind Regards
Topcat
Secretary Classic Camaro ClubUK

1968 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28 Racing car
1968 Chevrolet Camaro Convertible
1979 AMC CJ7 Jeep 360 CID
1980 E21 Alpina B6 2.8
1991 E30 Hartge H26

E24man
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by E24man » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:45 am

TopCat
A
A

Post by TopCat » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:20 am

TopCat wrote:I
Iom and Ch Isles have own currencies which are 1:1 linked to Sterling- just as Alex would like - but crown dependencies have no say in sterling as would happen to ScOut if Alex decided to use sterling.
!
Apropos that last post
our Isle of Man £ s are completely unacceptable to anyone on UK mainland- something to do with the wording which lacks "sterling"

of course one can always chnage them 1:1 at the airport- the Travellex lady at LCity Airport looks very grumpy when asked to xchnange Manx £s!
Kind Regards
Topcat

1980 E21 Alpina B6 2.8
1991 E30 Hartge H26

JASV8S
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by JASV8S » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:13 pm

I was in Inverness for the weekend two weeks ago and no issues with Scottish notes. Never heard any such rubbish as not accepting Scottish notes.
John
Alpina Blue B10 V8S #54 Saloon
Montreal Red F20 M-Sport
Sparkling Bronze F30 Xdrive (sold)
Titan Silver E90 325iSE (sold)
Blue Mini Cooper (sold)

Chas
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Chas » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:59 pm

I'm not Salmond's biggest fan but I intrinsically have more respect for a public servant who has experience of the real world than the multitude of career-politicians who don't. Wee Eck is an economist who spent time working for RBS in Aberdeen. His is not necessarily the best CV in the world but he knows the score. Osborne and his Etonian mates have never had a proper job in their lives.

I'm still waiting for an answer as to WHY westminster says no to Scotland using Sterling. It's a politically motivated response from a govenment on the back foot. The same can be said of the EU partners who are sticking their oar in, clearly at the request of the UK government.

Incidentally, I don't think currency will be an issue at all. Scotland would in any case have a stockpile of English notes thanks to all the oil, gas, wind, and water that we'd be selling across the border :lol:

E24man
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by E24man » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:19 pm

PerryGunn
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by PerryGunn » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:53 pm

E24man wrote:Westminster says No to an Independent Scotland using the UK Pound for a very simple reason - by being the underwriter of the UK pound Westminster and the Bank of England is responsible for it's use, distribution, loans and payments thereof.

A simple but very accurate analogy is that if you were to get divorced your ex-wife suddenly demands a credit card that you, and not she, are ultimately responsible for.

Would you allow that? How would she react to be told there limits on what she could spend and where she could spend it? If she did incur debts but ultimately you were the person responsible for repaying the debt - would you willingly accept it and pay the debts?

The answer is very simple and clear and there is no conspiracy or political motivation - it is a simple statement that the UK will not, cannot, underwrite the debts of another separate Sovereign Nation - the Isle of Man and Channel Islands are beholden to the pound and the demands placed upon them by Westminster but quite simply they accept that and an Independent Scotland would not and morally perhaps should not.

I've already explained the reason why the EU won't see a simple admission of Scotland into the EU - it's Charter clearly states a unanimous agreement of all member Nations and Spain will never do that as will not want to set a precedent for the Basque Region - that is their right and their Political standpoint and not influenced by Westminster or any other EU Member Governments.

It's to the SNP's shame that they haven't thought through all these things in the many years that they've been planning this vote.

Salmond's shame should be deeper as an economist and his involvement with RBS shows his judgement on these issues.

Please don't think I have an opinion either way on Scottish Independence - my only strong opinions on the entire affair are the way the Voters on the issue are being led down a path with no clear answers as to what happens if they do vote yes

Can anyone who is intending to vote yes give clear answers on currency, EU membership, border control, shipbuilding and financial industry concerns, and the true cost of the financial promises that the SNP are making?

The SNP clearly can't and just continue to mislead the voters that the EU and UK Government will back down, break their own charters and rules to accommodate your membership and underwrite the life of luxury the SNP agenda is promising you all.

I would happily see Scotland stay in the Union, or gain full Independence - just do one or the other with full conviction and commitment, and without the bonds that the SNP say currently hold you back...... and that other people say might actually be supporting you.

There should be no room for a half way house in the argument - either stay or go - it is like a divorce and the SNP are asking Scottish residents whether they want one - once the answer is yes, the relationship is broken and on the route to being dissolved and both parties should head their separate ways with all ties cleanly broken.
Well said Kevin
Alpina Roadster S #320
BMW X3 F25 LCI 30d

E24man
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by E24man » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:08 pm

Last edited by E24man on Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TopCat
A
A

Post by TopCat » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:54 pm

JASV8S wrote:I was in Inverness for the weekend two weeks ago and no issues with Scottish notes. Never heard any such rubbish as not accepting Scottish notes.
Fine at the moment for small amounts- that you are unlikely to have in large quantities after 18 Sept!
Kind Regards
Topcat

1980 E21 Alpina B6 2.8
1991 E30 Hartge H26

Chas
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Chas » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:44 pm

The SNP's campaign is not the point of the discussion. It's about whether or not Scotland should be an independent country. Lets not forget that the SNP would not be forming a government in the event of a Yes vote. Even if the SNP won a majority in national elections, they would not form a government. The SNP is actually disbanded in the event of Scottish independence :!:

I'm tired of hearing that we can't do it or shouldn't do it by those who have a vested interest (outside Scotland). I'm heartily sick of our national agenda being dictated from Westminster; of our country being percieved internationally as a non-country. We are not a Basque Region or even a Quebec. If you look at a list of countries in the world we don't get a mention. Only our sporting teams provide representation internationally (even if we sometimes wish they didn't).

We share a monarchy along with many other parts of the Commonwealth. Why shouldn't we have the same rights as Australia or New Zealand to govern ourselves? We have a unique history and culture which separates us from our neighbours, but that doesn't mean we can't be good neighbours.

This is not a marriage which requires divorce. It's more akin to a corporate separation where a subsidiary company is hived off from the parent group. The corporate policies and procedures of the UK don't fit our needs. We are better suited to being a separate entity with our own vision and values than being a square peg in the parent companies round hole.

Being independent doesn't mean we can't do business together. It just means we can manage our own affairs more effectively. If that means we need to have our own currency then so be it. But until that is necessary we would go on using Sterling. Everyone who has been through a change in corporate ownership knows there are transitional arrangements and inconveniences but they are always overcome. It's not impossible.

What's very clear from the Better Together campaign is the negativity and scare stories being promoted. Does anyone care to ask why that should be? What would they say if instead they were actually inviting us to give up our independence and be part of the UK ? The truth is that Scotland is providing a disproportionate share into the UK coffers and Westminster doesn't want that to be know almost as much as they don't want to give that up.

shaziman
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by shaziman » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:21 pm

E24man wrote:Westminster says No to an Independent Scotland using the UK Pound for a very simple reason - by being the underwriter of the UK pound Westminster and the Bank of England is responsible for it's use, distribution, loans and payments thereof.

A simple but very accurate analogy is that if you were to get divorced your ex-wife suddenly demands a credit card that you, and not she, are ultimately responsible for.

Would you allow that? How would she react to be told there limits on what she could spend and where she could spend it? If she did incur debts but ultimately you were the person responsible for repaying the debt - would you willingly accept it and pay the debts?
It would also affect the credit rating of the UK and if the independence went wrong, then this would bring down the UK. (Similar to Greece and Spain affecting Germany)
1995 E36 B3.0 Convertible (rebodied)
1996 E36 B3.2 Touring No:20 - 1 of 5 made
1997 E36 B3.2 Touring No:36 - 1 of 5 made
1999 E36 323 Sport Touring
2011 E92 D3 Bi-turbo no.246 (santorini blue)
2019 Fiat Fullback
2020 Mini Countryman SE (PHEV)
Alpina, BMW and Detailing Enthusiast

E24man
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by E24man » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:39 pm

Last edited by E24man on Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

E24man
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by E24man » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:46 pm

Last edited by E24man on Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JASV8S
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by JASV8S » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:12 pm

One of the issues that I feel is incorrect is that somehow independence is based on an anti-English agenda and as far as I experience in Scotland it is not. I work beside and with many English colleagues and this does not come up in any debate. It appears the vitriol is from the other direction on the basis that we are being anti-English and if we do vote Yes Scotland is bound to fail.

I do not disagree with the arguments that there are a lot issues to be resolved but you either have the confidence that the country can achieve independence or not and vote accordingly. I think Westminster should be thinking that a Yes vote is a failure on their part to ensure regions of the UK are evenly dealt with and this includes regions of England also.

The way London centric politics operate we are seeing the creation of a collapsed empire where London is the equivalent of Great Britain and the rest of the regions are the colonies, ripe for the plunder. It has been happening for some time now.
John
Alpina Blue B10 V8S #54 Saloon
Montreal Red F20 M-Sport
Sparkling Bronze F30 Xdrive (sold)
Titan Silver E90 325iSE (sold)
Blue Mini Cooper (sold)