Mobile phones

Rambling from the Sage of Oxford
Charles

Mobile phones

Post by Charles » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:01 pm

Last Christmas I mad the mistake of giving No2 son (who is 14 next month) a Blackberry on contract.

Since then, his school report has included such wonderful statements as:

"If he were to put as much effort into his academic work as he does his social life then he would produce some excellent results"

We were all young once and even I recall my first encounters with girls, so I probably shouldn't begrudge him a life, but what has really bugged me is the phone itself.

After a few months, it started shutting down for no apparent reason - although I put it down to excess usage whilst messaging girls. Vodafone were supportive and provided a new battery FOC to see if this was the problem, but to no avail. Eventually we sent it off and they returned a new handset because they claimed the time needed to repair the old one was too long. Not bad customer service, in my book.

Anyway, the new phone starts taking a hammering and then we find that, if the battery is run down to empty, then the phone is incapable of charging because it doesn't have enough juice in the first place to reboot the software which controls the charging!

Problem is now solved with a high quality piece of equipment from China which has charged all three batteries fully (Vodafone actually sent me two replacements) and now No2 son is happy again.

Even more pleasing is that he has rediscovered his enjoyment of reading and his phone usage has dropped as his reading has increased. Even with three fully charged batteries and a fully functioning phone, I cannot get his head out of the books :shock:
Charles
Teacher of Chemistry and driver of ALPINAs - not necessarily in that order ;)
B3S Touring (49/116) - been to the moon and now on the way back!
Renault Grand Espace - not mine but the wife's!

ali
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by ali » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:57 pm

Head back in the books is a good thing IMO
Perhaps finally the novelty has worn off?

When phones go wrong it really annoys me as I have had to send my very carefully looked after iPhones off a couple of times over the years and the same as yourself you get sent back a different phone that you have no idea how it has been looked after.
If I handed my Alpina into a garage and got given someone elses in return I don't know that I'd be too happy about it
B3 3.3 Coupe #090
D3 2.0 Biturbo Touring #098

shaziman
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by shaziman » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:18 pm

eBooks.....?
1995 E36 B3.0 Convertible (rebodied)
1996 E36 B3.2 Touring No:20 - 1 of 5 made
1997 E36 B3.2 Touring No:36 - 1 of 5 made
1999 E36 323 Sport Touring
2011 E92 D3 Bi-turbo no.246 (santorini blue)
2019 Fiat Fullback
2020 Mini Countryman SE (PHEV)
Alpina, BMW and Detailing Enthusiast

AG
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by AG » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:51 pm

proper books all the way for me, I have to feel and smell those books.
Former BMW CC 7 register chairman

2000 e39 B10 V8 Touring
1985 e23 B10 (sold)
1995 B3 saloon switchtronic (sold)