Alpina B3 3.3 Coupe no 88

The place to talk about ALPINAs.
e.g. News, Reviews, Insurance, Warranties, Running Costs, Sightings, general questions etc.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

polynesian2
ALPI
ALPI

Alpina B3 3.3 Coupe no 88

Post by polynesian2 » Mon May 06, 2013 3:38 pm

B10Liquid, a proper Alpina enthusiast, is handing over the reigns to Coupe 88 (in return for cash, quite reasonably!) and I am looking forward to taking over a mechanically strong B3 that is going to have a little bit of cosmetic attention over the coming year.

It has a cracking spec, with extended champagne leather, xenons, HK audio, heated seats, auto wipers, and a nice growly 3.3 straight six.

Will report back once it's picked up in a week's time.

ali
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by ali » Tue May 07, 2013 10:32 pm

Congratulations on your purchase. Enjoy that throaty straight 6 when you get the chance
B3 3.3 Coupe #090
D3 2.0 Biturbo Touring #098

polynesian2
ALPI
ALPI

Post by polynesian2 » Sun May 12, 2013 12:48 am

I'm picking up the car on monday, so looking forward to an enjoyable drive home.

Thanks for all the many useful tips and pointers from everyone on the register, and for the inspiration. i'm excited to finally be joining the fold.

jolls
ALPIN
ALPIN

Post by jolls » Sun May 12, 2013 9:32 am

I'm sure you will love it. How many miles will you have to drive to get home?

polynesian2
ALPI
ALPI

Post by polynesian2 » Sun May 12, 2013 9:05 pm

It's about 120, mostly motorway, looking forward to it anyway!

Already exploring some options for restoring/ repairing the leather where it has worn through, and then it's rust, and whatever else an old E46 needs in the coming year!

polynesian2
ALPI
ALPI

Post by polynesian2 » Sat May 18, 2013 10:55 pm

OK:

Just booked my car in for a little bit of work...

Inspection II
All cooling system bar radiator (hoses, pump, expansion tank, sensor, fan and fan clutch etc)
transmission cooler thermostat
transmission, brake, diff fluids
All pulleys, tensioners and belts
fuel filter

and a list of maintenance jobs for the year ahead.

I've found someone to retrim the ruined nappa leather, and I'm ordering a new foam seat base to replace the exhausted one which has semi collapsed side bolsters (the bits alongside your thighs).

That lot, rust treatment, and a wheel refurb, and I will have to sit and look at it, as petrol will be beyond me :-)

James_G
ALPI
ALPI

Post by James_G » Mon May 20, 2013 9:18 pm

Sounds like an expensive time ahead, although I am sure it will be worth it.

Never knew there was a transmission cooler thermostat - tell me more.
Currently:
1992 Alpina B2.5 #026, Lagoon Green with Parchment Cloth

Previously:
2013 BMW M135i 3dr, Mineral Grey with Red Leather
2001 Alpina B3 3.3 Coupe #170, Orient Blue with Grey Leather
2006 Z4MC, Silver Grey with Red Leather
2001 E46 330i Sport, Silver with Red Leather
1997 E36 323i SE Touring, Calypso Red with Grey Cloth

polynesian2
ALPI
ALPI

Post by polynesian2 » Wed May 22, 2013 12:17 am

thanks, hopefully i'm going to be addressing all of the issues to see the car through it's next 100k miles.

The transmission cooler thermostat regulates the flow of coolant into... the transmission heat exchanger, just doing it as another small and inexpensive part that has 13 years and 144k on it, as part of having faith in my cooling system and insurance for the gearbox which was rebuilt a few years ago at significant cost (though this would be unlikely to be the element that would cause it to destruct).

The car drives beautifully but so many parts are past their design life, or the life expectancy others have experienced.

polynesian2
ALPI
ALPI

Post by polynesian2 » Tue May 28, 2013 4:08 pm

number 88 goes to ETA Motorsport at Brands Hatch on thursday for her complete cooling system and pulleys/ belts service as well as all the usual bits of an inspection II. If there's time they are changing all of the fluids as well.

I have been avoiding using the car until this work's done, as i have some very ancient sounding pulleys and I'm keener to spend my money on preventative care than a rebuild... although maybe a rebuild can incorporate B3S spec....

anyway, will update after thursday. Then i can start thinking about my poor nappa leather and a wheel refurb. Not to mention the usual E46 rust.

Still, let's see what ETA say.

polynesian2
ALPI
ALPI

Post by polynesian2 » Thu May 30, 2013 10:11 pm

I think this post can only be called "Caveat Emptor"...

88 went in for her freshen up today, and here's what happened:

Replaced all belts, tensioners and pulleys

Replaced radiator, expansion tank, thermostats, hoses, water pump (leaking), fan, fan clutch and various other small parts

Replaced spark plugs, transmission fluid, diff fluid, brake fluid, air filter, fuel filter, cabin filter.

I'm doing the oil and filter so i don't feel left out!

But...

What I didn't expect-

Dear 88 has the beginning of the infamous boot floor crack (which I asked about at purchase but hey ho, nothing to suggest he saw it or knew about it anymore than me and I DID NOT CHECK CAREFULLY ENOUGH) and...

buying from an engineer at Continental tyres, a car on 4 Continental tyres, I didn't check them well... and whilst all 4 have loads of tread, none of them are safe! They all have significant cracks on the inner sidewalls. I didn't check...I asked about the tyres, checked what I could easily see (tread, outer sidewalls) and took on trust. That's buying secondhand cars I guess. He may well have had no idea whatsoever. I'm not suggesting that he did, just posting for commiseration and 4 free Michelins please :-)

As I started, caveat emptor. I am keeping the car for the long run and have plenty of projects to make it a very good example. All funds from my biturbo touring account, mind you!

Still love the Alpina though, and will aim to post pictures as more interesting stuff gets done.

I will say that the guys at ETA motorsport were excellent. If you're near Kent, they are a great option.

James_G
ALPI
ALPI

Post by James_G » Fri May 31, 2013 9:11 pm

I feel for you, especially after what must have been a fairly pricey service.

If it's any consolation I didn't check the inner tyre walls on mine when I bought it a few weeks ago. I did check the dates on the sidewalls though and took a view from there. Let's face it, if you'd have offered £(4 x tyres) less than the asking price I suspect the seller would have sent you on your way and taken a chance with somebody else.

What's your plan with the cracked boot issue - take it somewhere like Redish Motorsport?

http://www.redish-motorsport.com/E46M3F ... ement.html
Currently:
1992 Alpina B2.5 #026, Lagoon Green with Parchment Cloth

Previously:
2013 BMW M135i 3dr, Mineral Grey with Red Leather
2001 Alpina B3 3.3 Coupe #170, Orient Blue with Grey Leather
2006 Z4MC, Silver Grey with Red Leather
2001 E46 330i Sport, Silver with Red Leather
1997 E36 323i SE Touring, Calypso Red with Grey Cloth

polynesian2
ALPI
ALPI

Post by polynesian2 » Fri May 31, 2013 9:19 pm

Thanks James, yes I had investigated Redish already. ETA can do it, and significantly cheaper but Redish have so much experience and such an evolved solution now that it's tempting.

As to the tyres, that's life and whilst its a huge expense again relative to the car to michelinise her, that's what will happen. Wasn't there a 4 for 3 offer on?!?!

I am happy to think that the car will soon be a sort of Buchloe triger's broom with everything fresh and ready for many more miles. Will get some pics up soon.

polynesian2
ALPI
ALPI

Post by polynesian2 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:12 am

This is most of the stuff that ETA changes last week (excluding all of the fluids)

and this was the state of my passenger seat, you can see i've had a go at a couple of panels already at this point

and after 3 minutes with some gliptone leather cleaner and a nailbrush, not finished but what a difference! To be fair, the before looks worse on screen than in reality, but it's bad!

The nailbrush might be a bit harsh, but the amount of staining and muck is significant and it is getting it all off. Anyone have tips for renovating light coloured leather? I have my wife's dakota lemon interior to do as well...

simon13
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by simon13 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:37 pm

don't laugh but brake cleaner is very good at getting marks off leather. It drys it out so some feed is needed after.

It has the same chemical in it as the dry cleaners use, I can't recall the name

JASV8S
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by JASV8S » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:13 am

Tetrachloroethylene
John
Alpina Blue B10 V8S #54 Saloon
Montreal Red F20 M-Sport
Sparkling Bronze F30 Xdrive (sold)
Titan Silver E90 325iSE (sold)
Blue Mini Cooper (sold)