A variety of cars...Focus 1.0T Zetec, Golf 1.4TSi GT

A place for us to discuss the cars we are currently testing before the road test comes out !

Moderator: neil

ade and liz flint
ALPINA
ALPINA

A variety of cars...Focus 1.0T Zetec, Golf 1.4TSi GT

Post by ade and liz flint » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:41 am

We're investigating 'other car options' atm for upcoming requirements of a lease car. So we decided to start at our local multifranchise dealer who sells VW, Ford and Peugeot. We're not touching the latter.....

So the spec for the car is basically, erm, great seats, decent performance and tidy handling in a FWD chassis (no shortage of those!). It also needs to be fairly economical as it could be touching 15-20k p.a. and bluetooth and rear PDC (as everything else we touch has it...don't want embarrassing incidents). The bluetooth and rear PDC as standard is proving troublesome, so one or other or both would have to be options at silly money for what they are :roll:

We decided that the Focus in Zetec trim would be a good starting point and borrowed one today, to return tomorrow and swap for test car #2. It has good sports seats and bluetooth standard, and although we wanted to try the 2l derv they didn't have a loaner in that spec so we got the 1.0T. It's a lively little lump, properly buzzy as a 3-cyl, but the turbo boost is a little 'complicated' and caught us both off guard at times. Economy in our lively hands up hill and down dale was a respectable 40mpg and it coped well with the gradients. Handling was 'ok' but very numb: the last Focus we drove in the earlier incarnation was much more involving. The steering was also a little over-sensitive and feedback seemed inconsistent.

But, the interior :roll: Nothing much to say, here.... :oops: Tacky. Cheap. Confusing.

Then there is the styling. Fortunately the loaner is white and much kinder to the appearance than the black example we saw in the showroom which was pretty damned ugly.

So, it drove 'ok', handled 'ok' looks a bit 'meh' and it's good on fuel. Oh, and the seat shape (at least in this new car) was good and very supportive, if not very adjustable. And it had bluetooth...or did we mention that?

Its main plus-point until the end of March is the £2,750 discount on a PCP purchase. Hmm, tempting. Or is it? It's not a bad car, but it's also not very appealing. However, it may fit the desired criteria of 'drive it and forget it' as we would never actually own it.

Next: tomorrow a VW Golf mk 7...either the 2.0TDI or 1.4TSi in GT trim. We sat in one in the showroom, and it's pretty impressive, but VERY expensive. It did have nice seats :wink:

We have future plans to try the Audi A3 Sport, M-B A200, Seat Leon FR, and Vauxhall Astra SRi in various engine options if possible. This car-buying lark is fun 8)
Last edited by ade and liz flint on Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Current:
23MY Porsche Macan GTS in Papaya
23MY Cupra Born V3 77kW in Aurora

Previously loved:
ALPINA: E91 B3SBiturbo #127, E92 B3SBiturbo #285, E90 D3Biturbo #097, E85 Roadster S #168 & variety of 'beige' 4 and 6-cyl BMW lumps.
PORSCHE: Macan S, Cayman 981 S, Cayman 981 GTS

shaziman
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by shaziman » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:39 pm

Ade, i agree with alot of your comments above, but you do need to bear in mind the target audience these cars are mainly aimed at and also the price bracket. i.e. Cheap Fleet cars.

I have, until this Thursday, a 1.6 125ps Focus Zetec, and the car, and i agree here, is a bit cheap, but for the equivilent price, there's not much on the market that does what it says on tin quite as well as the Focus. The advantage of these is that they are sporty and comfortable at the same time. Also maintenance is ridiculously cheap.

One thing i will say here is that i didn't choose Ford. As i work for them i have to have one, and i am pleasantly surprised. I drive several hundred cars through the year, and i have to say that as an engineer who designs, works on, cleans, drives etc all manner of cars, IMO theres Ford at the bottom end, BMW in the middle and Porsche at the top.

Don't get me started on GM products...

Also, for those of you considering buying a cheap run around, consider this, a New Shape Ford Focus is now available on eBay for circa £8k and in another 6 months, probably close to £6k. Its alot of car for the money. Also at this place in the market, the quality is very good.

I do feel that as we all have Alpina as a BenchMark, we expect alot from our 'other' cars. It si the wrong attitude to have as we use the top as the average.

With regards to the 1.0T Ecoboost engine, it is good, very good for what it is, however, in my experience at work and with other collegues, it rarely delivers the mpg stated and also isn't much better than the 1.6 125ps or the 1.6T Ecoboost. MPG figures so far are 38, 49, 43 respectively. My choice would be the 1.6T Ecoboost Titanium spec, as it will leave you wanting for nothing more. Also, as everybody is raving about the 1.0T, there are good deals on the 1.6T. We make that engine here, and i have to say, its our flagship Ford engine and we are very proud of how it has turned out!

Also, let me know if you want a Ford, we have something called Ambassador discount which will reduce your total loan amount, saving you a bit!

Good luck with whatever you decide! :p
1995 E36 B3.0 Convertible (rebodied)
1996 E36 B3.2 Touring No:20 - 1 of 5 made
1997 E36 B3.2 Touring No:36 - 1 of 5 made
1999 E36 323 Sport Touring
2011 E92 D3 Bi-turbo no.246 (santorini blue)
2019 Fiat Fullback
2020 Mini Countryman SE (PHEV)
Alpina, BMW and Detailing Enthusiast

ade and liz flint
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by ade and liz flint » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:49 am

Arit, didn't mean to knock it overly: we fully understand its target and indeed may be it as as stated above, it's a 'drive it and forget it' car to rack-up miles in and hand back after 3 years. It's acceptable at that end of the range, but we would not get on with the 1.0T lump - the turbo lag on acceleration and surge on lift-off was a bit disconcerting. We were, however, both most surprised that the evolution from the previous generation car to the current one is a backward step in dynamics. Liz ran a 56-plate 2lderv Zetec for nigh-on 50k, and it was a fine drive if a little bland and mechanically fragile under the bonnet in its early days. She also used the other office car; a 2lderv Titanium on an 09-plate on occasion when hers was out and enjoyed driving it.

Thanks for the offer; I'll let you know if we opt for one and we'll see what the numbers are :cool: We'll be taking the 140ps derv fror a trial before we finally decide, though.

Today we had a Golf 1.4TSi GT...a whole lot more expensive, of course, and it showed in many, many ways. Engine power was obviously up on the Focus lump, and returned 45mpg on Liz's commute and 40mpg in my hands up the back roads 8) The roadholding and handling is superb, and a real surprise, feedback spot-on and the acceleration and stopping abilities were first rate (the ABS had a workout following a meeting with a gritting lorry on a sharp, muddy bend on a narrow back-road :oops:) It was specced-up so can't really comment on kit before looking at the brochure, but the interior was a step-up in looks and quality from the Mk6 and very well laid-out and constructed. The GT seats are beautifully made and supportive and have a lot of adjustment. A fine car

We're having the 2.0TDi Golf tomorrow as a direct comparison, but this 1.4TSi has really got us thinking as we were both really happy buzzing around in it, and Liz just 'went for a drive' in it at lunchtime as she was enjoying it so much. Of course, Audi and Seat are using the same lumps, so they are other options, too 8)
Last edited by ade and liz flint on Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Current:

Previously loved:
ALPINA: E91 B3SBiturbo #127, E92 B3SBiturbo #285, E90 D3Biturbo #097, E85 Roadster S #168 & variety of 'beige' 4 and 6-cyl BMW lumps.

PerryGunn
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by PerryGunn » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:03 am

ade and liz flint wrote: ... and Liz just 'went for a drive' in it at lunchtime as she was enjoying it so much...
That statement alone suggests to me that you may not have to look very much further :)
Alpina Roadster S #320
BMW X3 F25 LCI 30d

ade and liz flint
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by ade and liz flint » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:20 am

PerryGunn wrote:
ade and liz flint wrote: ... and Liz just 'went for a drive' in it at lunchtime as she was enjoying it so much...
That statement alone suggests to me that you may not have to look very much further :)
You could be right, Perry. Liz had late-night business meetings so had added the extra return-journey to the office yesterday evening and as the roads were as clear as could be at 11 o'clock last night, gave it a thorough toe-ing. She had fun, and as it would be her daily grinder, her feelings count. Wringing its neck got her 35mpg, which ain't bad at all, so it should average around the 40mpg mid-range we saw when I was 'spirited' but not overly-hard with it during my go. Those numbers could work.

Its big stopping point atm is lease-cost: they are pretty damned expensive, so a good shop-around would be required and an investigation of VW's PCP as option 2.

Oh, we also found last night that it has the ACT engine which shuts off 2 cylinders under certain conditions. Neither of us noticed it occurring, but guess it must have at least on her earlier commute home as she was in steady traffic: that may explain why she got 45mpg average at that time 8) Clever stuff.
Current:

Previously loved:

jim_m_kidd
ALP
ALP

Post by jim_m_kidd » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:01 pm

I also have an Audi A1 with that same 1.4TSI engine (although not with 2 cylinder deactivation, but does do stop/start) - I have it with the stronic 7 speed auto. It's a nice car to drive and the engine is perky, reponsive and reasonably rapid - and returns ~45mpg in mixed driving - sounds good too.
Jim

Alpina - B10 - V8 - #1157 (gone in 60 seconds)
Range Rover TDV8 Vogue SE

ade and liz flint
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by ade and liz flint » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:06 am

jim_m_kidd wrote:I also have an Audi A1 with that same 1.4TSI engine (although not with 2 cylinder deactivation, but does do stop/start) - I have it with the stronic 7 speed auto. It's a nice car to drive and the engine is perky, reponsive and reasonably rapid - and returns ~45mpg in mixed driving - sounds good too.
It's impressive, very impressive and proper food for thought. Liz's mum has a *ahem* YETI with the same engine as yours and that's perky, too, even with all the bulk it pulls around.

Having driven the 2.0 Derv Golf GT today, we both agreed that the only reason to go derv is for the extra mpg - it averaged around 52. Otherwise, they felt near enough identical, except the diesel felt less flexible...quite a surprise. However, a big thumbs-up for the Golf GT: very refined, nicely made, drives well, handles very nicely indeed and stops well. I did find the electric handbrake a PITA on the car today, though as 1) it didn't release cleanly and 2) when trying to back slowly into a tight parking space in front of our house, it kept engaging if the car momentarily stopped! I'm really not a fan of those things :roll:
Current:

Previously loved:

I_MNL
ALPINA
ALPINA
Location: Manchester, Cheshire and Hertfordshire! Driving on the motorways...

Post by I_MNL » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:53 am

Why don't you try the BMW 1-series???????????

116i very perky and economical
116d very economical and sufficiently perky

Plus the drive on the correct wheels: the rear
And the name is Marie-Noëlle or nick name MNL, NOT Marie or Noëlle ALONE; unless if you are looking for someone else and not me!!!
Car: D3 saloon 2007 and...a couple of cats made in 2003! and a little Scooby WRX STi...

ade and liz flint
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by ade and liz flint » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:44 am

I_MNL wrote:Why don't you try the BMW 1-series???????????

116i very perky and economical
116d very economical and sufficiently perky

Plus the drive on the correct wheels: the rear
Precisely, has been considered but is unsuitable for our needs. May take a look at the new 1-er x-drive, but it's very expensive for what we need/can afford. BTW, the 116d performance is too flat and totally unsuitable for use within Wales: Perry has the 118d and I know he wishes even that was a bit more lively and x-drive is only currently on the 120d.

The car will need to cope with Welsh mountain roads in the depths of winter, where weather can change from dry and sunny at home, to blizzard conditions 5 miles inland and uphill. With the miles being covered, RWD means full-winters every year as a precaution, whereas FWD means All Weather tyres on the front axle will be fine (not getting back into the argument with anyone: we know these work in our hands as we use them). The costs of full winters on a lease car would be irrecoverable, the cost of buying and fitting 2 all weather tyres and not worrying about the weather conditions changing would be insignificant. As it stands, Liz drives all over the UK 365 days per year on standard summer tyres in her lease or hire cars with no choice in the matter and we are looking to put our decisions into place wrt her next lease car to ensure she's a bit safer than currently (Have you ever wondered how many hire cars have actually had their tyre pressures checked, or treatment added to the windscreen washers, or the windows cleaned inside so you can see the road ahead when a car with headlights on is approaching - she's had to bring cars home for me to prep before she drives as far as Edinburgh in the recent past as they have been quite unsafe to drive and purely these are the reasons we're trying to get away from hire car usage). A RWD BMW will not enable her to do that without significant extra outlay. Hence, x-drive apart, not going there (and may still not go there when we see the prices and it will still probably need winter tyres etc etc).
Current:

Previously loved:

I_MNL
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by I_MNL » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:06 pm

What have you bought in the end Ade?
If you have not yet, would you consider the Subaru XV 2.0 diesel? It also has symmetrical AWD, so should be great for the purpose you want it. :think

Oh dear.... I just realised this thread is 2 years old... :oops:
And the name is Marie-Noëlle or nick name MNL, NOT Marie or Noëlle ALONE; unless if you are looking for someone else and not me!!!
Car: D3 saloon 2007 and...a couple of cats made in 2003! and a little Scooby WRX STi...

PerryGunn
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by PerryGunn » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:57 pm

I_MNL wrote:What have you bought in the end Ade?
If you have not yet, would you consider the Subaru XV 2.0 diesel? It also has symmetrical AWD, so should be great for the purpose you want it. :think

Oh dear.... I just realised this thread is 2 years old... :oops:
Ade'n'Liz eventually settled on a 3-door 118d (F21)
Alpina Roadster S #320
BMW X3 F25 LCI 30d

I_MNL
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by I_MNL » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:16 pm

Is it the one we were talking about at their dinner-invite after the drive? :)

PerryGunn
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by PerryGunn » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:39 am

I_MNL wrote:Is it the one we were talking about at their dinner-invite after the drive? :)
I don't remember that conversion but they already had it then - you saw it in their garage
Alpina Roadster S #320
BMW X3 F25 LCI 30d

I_MNL
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by I_MNL » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:28 am

Yes, that's what I mean! :)
Time flies....