2004 E46 B3s coupe-DSC and (amber) BRAKE LIGHT indicators ?

The place to talk about ALPINAs.
e.g. News, Reviews, Insurance, Warranties, Running Costs, Sightings, general questions etc.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

joealpina

2004 E46 B3s coupe-DSC and (amber) BRAKE LIGHT indicators ?

Post by joealpina » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:04 am

Hi all. I have a DSC fault. The DSC indicator comes on immediately, followed by the amber brake indicator as soon as I pull away. DSC cannot be enabled or disabled using DSC button.....Any info would be greatly appreciated...Thank you!!

ALPB1033
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by ALPB1033 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:20 am

Mine went wrong like yours last year. If it is gone, the ABS compressor(about £400+vat pump only) will be gone as well. So you are talking about £2k repair bill from any dealer :cry: :cry: :cry: . It still costed me £1.6k total :cry: last year to fix it from an indie. So now I am having the DSC off when driving on road.

You can check the DSC module(£900+vat part only) is gone by checking the ABS pump. The ABS pump is located under the carbon filter in engine bay. You need to start the car and lift the filter unit off and feel it with your hand. If the pump is working then you save £500.

The DSC module can be repaired for a cost of about £300 but I forgot the where about. Hopefully someone in the forum will inform you in a while. So don't throw it away if you going to replace it with a new one or repair it while the car is off road.

The other scene will be the ABS senor gone and replacing it will sort this out but I am not sure. So finger cross and good luck it isn't the DSC gone. By the way how many miles is yours done. Mine was about 110k when it was gone.

joealpina

Post by joealpina » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:41 pm

Thanks for the info....Mine's done 70k...i'm hoping it's sensors rather than the DSC or ABS modules....i'm optimistic, but appreciate a worst case scenario to keep things in perspective.
Will probably get the fault codes read and keep my fingers crossed...

b10liquid
ALPI
ALPI

Post by b10liquid » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:11 pm

9 times out of 10 it's an ABS sensor. I've had two fail on two different BM's over the years.
Current fleet:
1988 E34 Alpina B10 3.5
1998 E31 BMW 840Ci Sport Individual
2014 VW Passat Estate

nealpina
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by nealpina » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:47 pm

ALPB1033 wrote:You can check the DSC module(£900+vat part only) is gone by checking the ABS pump. The ABS pump is located under the carbon filter in engine bay. You need to start the car and lift the filter unit off and feel it with your hand. If the pump is working then you save £500.

The DSC module can be repaired for a cost of about £300 but I forgot the where about. Hopefully someone in the forum will inform you in a while. So don't throw it away if you going to replace it with a new one or repair it while the car is off road.
For ASC/DSC ECU unit repair I wrote a thread about it, I have not had any problems since my repair.

http://thealpinaregister.com/forums/vie ... hp?t=10621
Oscar Wilde & Burkard Bovensiepen: I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

ALPINA B3 3.2 Coupe Switch-Tronic ALPINA Blue
ALPINA B10 3.3 Saloon Manual Mora Metallic