theALPINAregister.com Forum Index theALPINAregister.com
The Forum section of www.theALPINAregister.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Site SearchSite Search   Forum SearchForum Search   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  GalleryGallery   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's wrong with us?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    theALPINAregister.com Forum Index -> Guest Blog !
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chas
ALPINA
ALPINA

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:45 pm    Post subject: What's wrong with us? Reply with quote

I was watching one of the TV news channels at the weekend for the latest on the Japanese earthquake disaster. After the news reports were completed we were treated to several hacks sitting on a sofa discussing the front pages of tomorrow's papers. All of those papers lead, naturally, with the events around the other side of the world. One of them (the Mirror?) gave half the front page to the potential of a nuclear disaster and the other half of the front page to a colour picture of some horses jumping a fence and the chance to win tickets to see it. Confused No-one seemed to think this was odd.

At that point I was still taking in the devastation and loss of life which is probably unequalled in the developed world since WW2. The identical prominence given on the front page to a horserace in the UK was, to my mind, incredulous.

To my further astonishment, the team of hacks then went on to discuss the merits of some Italian guy giving an English guy an armband to wear whilst he kicks a bit of leather round a park like it was the most important thing in the world.

What has happened to our sensibilities? At least 20,000 people have lost their lives, many thousands more homeless and who knows how many may yet suffer radiation poisoning. When Princess Di died, we suspended news, radio, sport etc. This is in a different league altogether but it's treated by some as only marginally more important than sport. I'm not suggesting we should all be in mourning but I do wonder if we've got our sense of balance a little skewed.
ade and liz flint
ALPINA
ALPINA

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, we do. Sickening isn't it?
E91 B3SBiturbo #127
981 Porsche Cayman GTS
Focus STline dog wagon

Previously loved:
ALPINA: E92 B3SBiturbo #285, E90 D3Biturbo #097, E85 Roadster S #168 & variety of 'grey' 4 and 6-cyl BMW lumps.
PORSCHE: Macan S, Cayman 981 S
B10BRW
ALPINA
ALPINA

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO opinion you can blame the so Celeb culture, when the only "Heroes" they know are grossly overpaid thick footballers, or some stick thin fag smoking hag of a model Evil or Very Mad

I blame the rot on Diana, the money wasted on flowers could have built a Hospital Sad
Charles

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is any consolation, I have been discussing the earthquake, tsunami and problems with the nuclear reactor with the boys at my school several times every day. This ranges from the Yr7 form group (11/12 year olds) through to the Yr10 class (14/15 year olds) - so citizenship is still alive in a part of Amersham.

On the homefront, all four of my children (14, 11 & 2x9) have wanted to discuss what's been going on - perhaps because we have been catching every news update whenever we can, but at least they are interested.
Renault Grand Espace - not mine but the wife's!
ade and liz flint
ALPINA
ALPINA

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charles wrote:
If it is any consolation, I have been discussing the earthquake, tsunami and problems with the nuclear reactor with the boys at my school several times every day. This ranges from the Yr7 form group (11/12 year olds) through to the Yr10 class (14/15 year olds) - so citizenship is still alive in a part of Amersham.

Good to hear some hope for the future then!
E91 B3SBiturbo #127
981 Porsche Cayman GTS
Focus STline dog wagon

Previously loved:
ALPINA: E92 B3SBiturbo #285, E90 D3Biturbo #097, E85 Roadster S #168 & variety of 'grey' 4 and 6-cyl BMW lumps.
Charles

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ade and liz flint wrote:

True but I am in total agreement with Chas. We appear to be drifitng relentlessly towards a state of complete apathy within our society. Easier communication along with greater materialism is resulting in a society that doesn't look beyond the end of it's own nose and takes many things for granted. Whilst everyone laughed at Cameron when he proposed the idea of a "Big Society", I am completely behind the principle because this is something that has disappeared from our collective psyche and culture.

Thank heavens for Comic Relief last night when No4 child (No2 daughter) - who is perhaps the most selfish of the lot - commented on how fortunate we are compared to the children we were watching on the screen and whether there was something we could do about it. There then ensued a discussion about what she might do with her recent Premium Bond win (25 but it all counts) and the reality of doing something kicked in. I didn't want to push it at the time but I hope that if it is left to stew in her mind she will choose to "do the right thing" on the back of her reaction to what she saw.

It won't change overnight but, like Chas and others, I sincerely hope that something starts to change and soon. Courage of convictions is key - just look at those in North Africa and the Middle East who are prepared to lay down their lives for the greater good.

Now that brings a 25 donation into perspective doesn't it ... Shocked
Renault Grand Espace - not mine but the wife's!
ade and liz flint
ALPINA
ALPINA

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charles wrote:
ade and liz flint wrote:

True but I am in total agreement with Chas. We appear to be drifitng relentlessly towards a state of complete apathy within our society. Easier communication along with greater materialism is resulting in a society that doesn't look beyond the end of it's own nose and takes many things for granted. Whilst everyone laughed at Cameron when he proposed the idea of a "Big Society", I am completely behind the principle because this is something that has disappeared from our collective psyche and culture.

Agree with you completely...and we did say 'some hope'!Really don't like the drift our society has taken during the past 5-10 years, and if more people were to get behind the 'big society' ideals, it might lead somewhere positive.
E91 B3SBiturbo #127
981 Porsche Cayman GTS
Focus STline dog wagon

Previously loved:
ALPB1033
ALPINA
ALPINA

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 Smile for the above with Charles!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    theALPINAregister.com Forum Index -> Guest Blog ! All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: