Going topless

Ok we have one - here's an opportunity to have one - if you got a point of view about something and want to share it - here's where you do it.
Chas
ALPINA
ALPINA

Going topless

Post by Chas » Tue May 05, 2009 12:22 pm

Whilst my B10 was in the dealer getting an ABS sensor replaced, I was treated to the loan of a new 320 convertible. It wasn't until I got behind the wheel that I realised I'd never driven a vert before :shock: I've been passenger in an MG about 10 years ago but, until yesterday, I was a topless virgin.

The big surprise for me was that I loved it! Even though our gorgeous weekend didn't spill over to the holiday Monday, I couldn't resist pulling the button to make the roof split three ways and disappear into the boot. My only concern related to seagulls which tend to frequent the harbour area of Aberdeen near my office!

One surprising aspect for me concerned safety. Being a biker, I (almost) always check over my shoulder before changing lanes. This practice is much more effective when there are no B or C pillars to worry about. Indeed, the whole experience reminded me of being on a bike with no helmet :wink:

Keen as I am to get a Roadster at some point, the most important facet of the convertible is the steel roof, which feels like any other car when it is up. I must sound like I'm 5 years behind the times but the folding hard-top is very appealing if you want a good all-rounder. Just don't expect to go topless to the golf club in the summer because boot space is very shallow with the roof down.

The Alpina salesman jumped me when I returned to the showroom to ask if I'd enjoyed the brief experience. His eyes lit up when I enquired if there was an Alpina version. "Of course there is, and it has the BiTurbo engine".

"I'll have one in Alpina Green with a champagne interior and all the toys" said the voice in my head..., quickly followed by the image of a divorce lawyer.

Maybe in a couple of years time once global warming has really taken hold 8)

alpina46
Tourettes Champion
Tourettes Champion

Post by alpina46 » Tue May 05, 2009 6:22 pm

Mid life crisis Chas :lol: :wink: & a bangle car to boot :roll: :lol:
M2
520d F11 M Sport Touring
B10 V8 #240
Mini Cooper S convertible
220d M Sport convertible
MGB GT
MG Midget
520d F11 M Sport Touring (sold)
118d F20 M Sport(sold)
118d E87 M Sport(sold)
John Cooper Works (sold)
D3 Touring #183(sold)
M3 3.0 E36 (sold)
523 E39 (sold)
520 E34 Touring (sold)
318IS E36 (sold)

Chas
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Chas » Tue May 05, 2009 6:34 pm

alpina46 wrote:Mid life crisis Chas :lol: :wink: & a bangle car to boot :roll: :lol:
I've had three or four of those already!

Isn't the 6 series a bangle design?

Geoff
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Geoff » Fri May 08, 2009 1:30 am

I'm not a biker but know what you mean about topless visibility, it's so much easier to see.
Did you get to Edinburgh Chas to check out the Roadster S?

Does anyone know if the new Z4 will become a Roadster S?
B3 BiTurbo Coupe (#104)
B10 3.3 (#055) Sold
Austin Healey 3000 BT7 (Sold)

Every day is a winding road.

ALPB1033
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by ALPB1033 » Fri May 08, 2009 4:03 am

Geoff I did asked Kris about that as I like the look of the car when we met in the GT3 race. At the moment I don't know but he said it is one of the projects going on. If it is available, this will be a 3.0l BiTurbo engine as yours. But I don't know whether the output will be higher or not.

Chas
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Chas » Fri May 08, 2009 7:59 am

Geoff wrote:Did you get to Edinburgh Chas to check out the Roadster S?
I only got as far as Dunfermline that day after a session at Knockhill racing circuit for their rally experience. I'll also be in Edinburgh today but only to catch a flight to France!

rcshott
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by rcshott » Fri May 08, 2009 12:48 pm

The thrill of a 'no top'! Chas I'm astounded you admit to loving "Wind in th'hair stuff" AND that you enjoyed it!!!

Virgin no longer...bugger!!!

"(almost) always check over my shoulder...." is a major admission...but at least your're honest...

Come out here anytime mate, 'an I'll give ya 'wind'''''''' hahahahaha
1989 B10 (2nd owner. For sale)
1997 E39 V8 (current daily in UKR)

Bruce M
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Bruce M » Fri May 08, 2009 2:24 pm

The new Z4 would be a tricky option for Alpina.

The BMW version has been pitched in a Alpina-style. The 335i engine gets used (autobox only) with softer suspension. There will be no M version I believe.

The difference that Alpina would add over the BMW version would be less than other cars. Also, the autobox is not the same as the B3 biT uses, so development would be required. Or, they could go for manual only.
--------
Gone but not forgotten