Supercharger Question Alpina B5

Got a question about your ALPINA ask it here !
You've got the car now you need to know something, techincal advice, specific questions etc.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

Minty

Supercharger Question Alpina B5

Post by Minty » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:14 pm

Hi all. I've been an Alpina owner for 10 years and have recently decided to sell my year 2003 E39 D10 BiTurbo Diesel which was a great car. My latest Alpina is a B5 which is a (late) year 2007 model no 325, it has only 54,000 on the clock and fully documented Sytner service history and I have some questions with regard to the supercharger on these models. I appreciate that these are a service item and there is an inspection/service schedule for them at 60,000mls. I am however aware of reported episodes where other owners have had supercharger failures and it seems this revolves around the internal clutches and/or centre bearing. I have heard the expression “blown up” which sound very dramatic and gives visions of opening the bonnet and seeing a ball of shrapnel where the SC should be so I assume it’s just a terminology being used when it starts to make odd noises and doesn’t work as it should. It also seems that Alpina made modifications to the Supercharger through its development history as I have seen posts on this forum (re the B5) where comments have been made like “that looks like an early Supercharger” My main questions are (1) What are the common problems that afflict the Supercharger when it fails (2) Was there indeed earlier spec Superchargers (3) If there were earlier Superchargers how can you tell from the outside which one you have (4) Would a Supercharger on a December 2007 model (pre-delivery date in the service book by Alpina) have the more developed/improved version of the Supercharger and (5) What were the improvements made to the SC from the models inception in 2005 to when the B5S arrived.
If anybody can assist in this regard I would be very grateful.

Thanks
:wink:

PhillV8S
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by PhillV8S » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:43 pm

Hi and congrats on bagging a low mileage B5. With reference to the supercharger they don’t explode but do fail but don’t expect lumps of supercharger piercing your bonnet anytime soon
The main way they fail is the oil seal fail and as yet seems terminal I believe, some owners have tried to replace these seals but not sure anyone has managed to fix one yet 100%.
If you notice you are using more oil than usual and/or producing blue smoke from exhaust then it could be the charger.
First thing to check is the PCV diaphragms as these can fail and leak oil into the charger causing similar symptoms.
There is a bolt on the exit pipe at the bottom of the intercooler that can be removed to check for oil, this should be dry so any sign of oil needs further investigation immediately. If you ignore the passing of oil then you risk taking out your primary cats and that will be more expansive than a new charger to fix!
The newer chargers have a slightly different design on the moulding as you can circled in the pic below. The older versions don’t have these same protrusions.
The newer ones have revised seals I believe to help longevity of the charger.
The main thing is to ensure you have and always have had the correct oil filter fitted as the incorrect one (usually one for the 4.8 engine) will starve the charger of oil and and expensive error to make.
The average mileage is about 60k out of a charger but some have lasted over 100k and some a lot less so it’s just something to be aware of and nip in the bud if you find it failing.

Range Rover SDV8.
E64 B6s #100 Cabriolet (Now Sold)
Maserati Gransport

Bob
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Bob » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:42 pm

Congratulations on the new car, is that the Silverwood B5?

I think there was a discussion previously about the car and that it was on an original/early 'charger but could be wrong. I also think a previous owner was on here too.

Previous sale ad

Discussion
B3 3.2 TOURING #062

Minty

Post by Minty » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:34 pm

Thank you both for your replies, and your info about the charger is most helpful.
You are correct about the car being the B5 from Silverwood and it really is a very nice example. So may I ask what B5's had that later charger housing? mine does have all those webs but they don't seem to be quite as long.

Minty

Post by Minty » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:43 pm

Minty wrote:Thank you both for your replies, and your info about the charger is most helpful.
You are correct about the car being the B5 from Silverwood and it really is a very nice example. So may I ask what B5's had that later charger housing? mine does have all those webs but they don't seem to be quite as long.

Would giving you the spec numbers from the top plate of the supercharger help identifying its spec/age etc etc.

PhillV8S
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by PhillV8S » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:01 pm

This is the older style with different flatter mouldings.
If you haven’t read it already this is a useful thread to read.
http://thealpinaregister.com/forums/vie ... highlight=

Range Rover SDV8.
Maserati Gransport

Bob
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Bob » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:35 am

Part (Teile) numbers in the two photos are different 751 vs 772.

Does that help?
B3 3.2 TOURING #062

PhillV8S
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by PhillV8S » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:42 am

They come with a variety of different part numbers over time, not chronologicaly sequential either it seems.
Range Rover SDV8.
Maserati Gransport

Minty

Post by Minty » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:40 pm

Hi again, and thanks for your continued advice.

I have seen that some owners have had their superchargers replaced under warranty when they've failed, now, I'm not wanting to tempt providence as my B5 seems sound in all mechanical respects (under the bonnet looks essentially new) but I'm curious to know under what circumstances they consider replacing them under warranty because it seems some of these are replaced even when the car is a few years old and after the car has done a lot of miles and as such the cars warranty itself would have expired.

Thanks.

PhillV8S
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by PhillV8S » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:59 pm

I can only assume that either the charger has failed prematurely after purchasing so will have a 2 year warranty the same as any genuine BMW part has or the owner has a BMW extended warranty on the car. I myself had one fitted at 110k miles+ as part of my approved used warranty I had when I got the car, others have on the Mondial extended warranty BMW offer.
Range Rover SDV8.
Maserati Gransport

WINNE1
ALPI
ALPI

Post by WINNE1 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:26 pm

I have been able to fix one of my chargers both bearings cost £28 (none BMW) and it takes about two hours in time to do and that is after it had done about 100 thousand miles from new. Right oil and filter and you will no go far wrong.
B6 convertible 4.4 black with silver decals .
B5 saloon 4.4 black with silver decals .

davewlee

Supercharger for B7

Post by davewlee » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:18 am

WINNE1 wrote:I have been able to fix one of my chargers both bearings cost £28 (none BMW) and it takes about two hours in time to do and that is after it had done about 100 thousand miles from new. Right oil and filter and you will no go far wrong.
Hi Winnie1

I have a 2007 B7 E65 and wanted to get ready for the event of replacing the supercharger bearings when they go. Do you have the part numbers of the bearing you used and the brand. It would be helpful to know. Also there is a member on another board who has put together the internal oil seals (6) for the supercharger for $150USD.

Hope this helps .

Thanks
David W.. e38 740iA. Alpina B7, 750i