Replace suspension B3 3.3

The place to talk about ALPINAs.
e.g. News, Reviews, Insurance, Warranties, Running Costs, Sightings, general questions etc.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

lanab

Replace suspension B3 3.3

Post by lanab » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:51 pm

It's time for replacing the suspension on my B3 3.3 with 124,000 miles.

I am really confused what to buy as i have read both negtive and positive comments from different sites on the different suspension kits.

Actually my rear dampers are leaking and the front are fine, maybe just replace the rear ones?

Anyway i contacted FMW and they wanted for a full Alpina original kit 1199,00 euros which is alot to put down on this old car but still maybe the best to do, it seems to be very similar to the Sachs Advantage dampers and would have liked to see inside the dampers what differs.

Another suggest the Koni FSD which seems to get good reviews but they rust fast according to some owners, just after 1 year or two.....

Then we have the Bilstein B12 kit which consist of the B8 dampers which also gets good recommendation.

And lastly i might consider putting coilovers instead on the car.

There's alot of choices, the Alpina price above, is there any possibility to get it cheaper from somewhere else?
BMW Alpina B3 3.3 -00
Ferrari F355 GTS -95

ali
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by ali » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:59 pm

Read this thread
All the info you need
Clicky
B3 3.3 Coupe #090
D3 2.0 Biturbo Touring #098

Charles

Post by Charles » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:27 pm

Loads of options available but the starting point is to decide whether you wish to keep the car as original as possible.

If the answer is yes then the FMW price is extremely attractive compared to the one you would be quoted by BMW UK.

However, if you are not fussed about keeping the car OEM, then the choice is yours and depends on what sort of feel you want.

Having run Bilsteins for a while, I can confirm they are similar in response to an OEM set-up at about half the price. I am, however, now back on OEM suspension and glad that I went back as originality is extremely important to me.

Good luck :D
Charles
Teacher of Chemistry and driver of ALPINAs - not necessarily in that order ;)
B3S Touring (49/116) - been to the moon and now on the way back!
Renault Grand Espace - not mine but the wife's!

lanab

Post by lanab » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:22 am

Charles wrote:Loads of options available but the starting point is to decide whether you wish to keep the car as original as possible.

If the answer is yes then the FMW price is extremely attractive compared to the one you would be quoted by BMW UK.

However, if you are not fussed about keeping the car OEM, then the choice is yours and depends on what sort of feel you want.

Having run Bilsteins for a while, I can confirm they are similar in response to an OEM set-up at about half the price. I am, however, now back on OEM suspension and glad that I went back as originality is extremely important to me.

Good luck :D
Thanks, yes i have put down alot of money on the car lately, hence the reason i tried to budget on the suspension but it seems you can't take any shortcuts if you want the original performance and it's my daily ride to work.
BMW Alpina B3 3.3 -00
Ferrari F355 GTS -95

sat82
A
A

Post by sat82 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:17 pm

Hi,

I would stick to the genuine Alpina suspension. I overhauled my front in Oct 2017 and the rear in Summer 2016 and am very happy with them. All parts came from BMW UK (Sytner) which cost me a lot of money, but I think it has it's benefits. Not only are they genuine parts, all BMW parts carry 2 years warranty. My rear offside shock started leaking just under the 2 years were up, but I got it booked into BMW Sytner - Coventry (where the parts were bought) and they changed the shock free of charge, which otherwise would have cost me a further £250 to rectify.

The price from FMW is a lot cheaper than from BMW UK, but what if something happens like it did to me? How will you get that covered?

Just some advice before you buy.

Regards
Sat

B3 3.3 Saloon #540