B3s sighting

It's got so popular I thought it deserved it's own section.... Share your sightings and Photos of ALPINAs and not quite ALPINAs<br/>
Cygnet
A
A

Post by Cygnet » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:37 pm

You're right Hap, it needs to go. Medallion Man was seventies wasn't it? I'm on the case, BMW part number 51168202188 for new insert and cover. Then I'll try and get the disc back on the Alpina wallet so all is as it should be. David's correct, there is no chance of getting it off without damage, we all know how easily that finish can get marked. This car is in such good condition that it can't be anything other than as it was originally made.

Yes David, it is beautiful and if we ever get some decent weather I might get to drive it again! We drove through some very wet weather getiing it home from yours so I'm spending time in the garage getting it cleaned up.
E46 B3 s coupe #122. (Sold)
VW Golf R.
BMW E46 M3
Riley 1.5

Cygnet
A
A

Post by Cygnet » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:20 pm

Update. I have managed to get the medallion off the lid. It came away fairly easily but left glue on the lid. Something like Uhu I think and I spent a while soaking it with IPA (no,not the drinking kind) and eventually it dissolved and came away. Catch it in the right light and you can see a faint shadow where it was but I think I should be able to do something to clear it. I'm quite pleased because there was going to be quite a bit of work to replace it. You need to remove the dash wood trim, radio and aircon units.
I wouldn't have time for that at the moment as I'm getting carried with cleaning the rest of it. This is the first time I've ever fully detailed a car but so far so good. I've used iron remover and then claybar and the paint feels so smooth now. I have an orbital polisher on order for the next step and also some Bilt Hamber wax for the final finish. I've also bought a trolley jack,axle stands and torque wrench so I can get the wheels off and clean out all the wheel arches. I will remove the front liners, clean out and then waxoyl all arches. The wheels will also get a good clean before refitting.
Who knows, I may even drive it one day&#128512;
VW Golf R.
BMW E46 M3
Riley 1.5

hap
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by hap » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:28 pm

We need some updated pics pls

Cygnet
A
A

Post by Cygnet » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:39 pm

Yes, of course. I'll get some when it stops raining - don't hold your breath.
VW Golf R.
BMW E46 M3
Riley 1.5

Cygnet
A
A

Post by Cygnet » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:57 am

Cleaned one of the rear arches yesrerday. It was pretty mucky but cleaned up fairly well. I also put some waxoyl around the edge; I've had an E46 before so know it's a weak spot. I also cleaned the wheel while it was off.
The springs are losing their paint, I think they will need a refurb at some stage.
When my back has recovered I'll do the other side.

Before

After

Before

After

Rusty
VW Golf R.
BMW E46 M3
Riley 1.5

hap
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by hap » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:41 pm

Looking good nice detailing not seen wheels with black barrels on Alpina with silver face?
Any others shots exterior

Cygnet
A
A

Post by Cygnet » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:13 pm

Thanks hap. I'm new to Alpina and didn't realise that the black barrel was not standard. It's not a bad choice though because it's not every day you get a chance to clean the back.
Hopefully, I'll be able to get the other corners done before too long and then I can finish detailing the bodywork. Too be fair, it wasn't too shabby when I got it but there's always room for improvement. I see from your posts that you're not adverse to a bit of cleaning either.
The only exterior pic have at the moment is after a wash but before any detailing started.
VW Golf R.
BMW E46 M3
Riley 1.5

hap
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by hap » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:18 pm

I was known to spend a fair few hours yeah but with 2 young kids not much time nowadays
Love that colour beautiful &#128540;

Cygnet
A
A

Post by Cygnet » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:19 pm

The cubby hole lid has cleaned up okay. There is a faint shadow in the right light, but not very noticable.
Sadly, whoever took the medallion off the wallet cut the leather out and then covered the damage with the cut-down roundel. Muppet. I'll probably have to get a leather worker to sort it out sometime.

Cover with medallion stuck on......

Cover now......

Wallet with roundel.....

Wallet with roundel removed......
VW Golf R.
BMW E46 M3
Riley 1.5

hap
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by hap » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:46 pm

:roll:
Looks so much better now
Ebay often have wallets knocking about

Here's one
https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-alpina-B3- ... SwhaBav-4k

Dwappat

Post by Dwappat » Sat May 12, 2018 11:37 pm

Whatever makes someone want to butcher the wallet for a badge to stick on the tray lid beats me, but it looks much better now. Hope you are still enjoying the car.

Cygnet
A
A

Post by Cygnet » Tue May 15, 2018 7:18 pm

Yes, the car is better shape than I am. I'm still waiting for my back to sort itself out so I can get on with cleaning the rest of the wheel wells.
I noticed the tyres are eleven years old so, while that's good for veryfing the low miles, I think it's time for some fresh rubber.
VW Golf R.
BMW E46 M3
Riley 1.5

Cygnet
A
A

Post by Cygnet » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:52 pm

Now got four new Michelin PS4. I've only driven it back from the tyre place but I felt the ride was smoother. Probably the old tyres had hardened up and the new rubber is more pliable. Smells good in the garage too!

Next job will be to get the wheels refurbed. They have some small areas of corrosion and flaking of the top coat(a bit more since having the tyres fitted). I hadn't heard of it before but I think they are "hyper silver" finish; black basecoat then wet oversprayed with silver and lacquer. I really like the finished look and think I will have the same again if I can find someone to do it.
I plan to pop down to the Ace cafe on Saturday to look at some options.
VW Golf R.
BMW E46 M3
Riley 1.5