Chassis differences D3?

The place to talk about ALPINAs.
e.g. News, Reviews, Insurance, Warranties, Running Costs, Sightings, general questions etc.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

Biggles330d

Chassis differences D3?

Post by Biggles330d » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:32 pm

What exactly are the differences between a standard 330d / 335d and a D3?

I see quite a few forum questions on here about springs, dampers, brakes etc and many comments about them being the same as various models of regular BMW models but don't see how that can be right. Alpina ride and handling is meant to be so much better than standard and it can't be just not having run-flats as anyone can do that to any standard car.

Is there a definitive guide to the alternative specification of the spring / damper / bushing of an Alpina v the model its largely based on? I.e., could I buy the Alpina spec parts and set up a regular F30 330d to ride and handle exactly as a D3? (ok, the engine performance is a different thing).

Metrics
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Metrics » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:18 pm

Understand where you're coming from, however the posts you've seen refer to E3* series cars. While some of the springs may be from elsewhere in the BMW range (not sure how accurate this observation is though) the dampers are Alpina specific.

For F3* series the spring and damper rates/adaptive damper settings - bespoke to Alpina.

Also you cannot legitimately buy Alpina parts and retro fit to a non-Alpina BMW as Alpina only supply cars to a verified Alpina chassis number.
2019 G31 B5 Biturbo No.299
2012 F10 D5 Biturbo No.13
1993 Mercedes 190E 2.6 Sportline spec
1991 Mk1 Golf GTI Sportline cabriolet

I_MNL
ALPINA
ALPINA
Location: Manchester, Cheshire and Hertfordshire! Driving on the motorways...

Post by I_MNL » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:58 pm

Well I got shock absorbers for my D3, and there were 2 options either Bilstein or the original Sachs
And the name is Marie-Noëlle or nick name MNL, NOT Marie or Noëlle ALONE; unless if you are looking for someone else and not me!!!
Car: D3 saloon 2007 and...a couple of cats made in 2003! and a little Scooby WRX STi...