B10/E39 headlamp beam aim issue?

Got a question about your ALPINA ask it here !
You've got the car now you need to know something, techincal advice, specific questions etc.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

Metrics
ALPINA
ALPINA

B10/E39 headlamp beam aim issue?

Post by Metrics » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:33 am

Morning all

Hope someone with some experience of E39 beam aim issues can help me. With the longer nights I've noticed that my B10s beam is lower than it should be. A year ago I replaced the headlamps on my car with new units and have upgraded the bulbs - after doing all this I remember the light distribution on the road was fantastic. Something now isn't right as the aim is too low.

I know this is common problem with E39s, often surfacing at MOT time. From my searches online I've come up with 4 possible culprits:

* Headlamp adjusters broken. Unlikely in my case with new lamps.
* Control module fault
* Front axle sensor fault
* Rear axle sensor fault

When i turn the car on and watch the beam against a wall, the lamp beam does adjust, but I suspect does not rise to the extent it should.

How can I establish which of the last three listed above the issue is? I don't have any code reader/diagnostic equipment. Would an equipment even register a fault?

I'm trying to rule out this is not a control module fault. And if it is an axle sensor, would a error code be thrown off for that?

Most online research points to these sensors being the issue - where the front sensor and connecting arm are replaced.

Any experience or advice you can give me would be great.

As a sub question - should I invest in some diagnostic equipment? If so which is best for a home DIYer like me?

Thanks in advance.
2019 G31 B5 Biturbo No.299
2012 F10 D5 Biturbo No.13
1993 Mercedes 190E 2.6 Sportline spec
1991 Mk1 Golf GTI Sportline cabriolet

PhillV8S
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by PhillV8S » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:20 am

If you look at the sensors you will see if a linkage has failed. You can check the sensor is working by manually turning the sensor arm to see if this makes the headlamps move.
It was the front sensor which failed on my B10 but was easy enough to sort.
Range Rover SDV8.
E64 B6s #100 Cabriolet (Now Sold)
Maserati Gransport

Metrics
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Metrics » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:29 am

PhillV8S wrote:If you look at the sensors you will see if a linkage has failed. You can check the sensor is working by manually turning the sensor arm to see if this makes the headlamps move.
It was the front sensor which failed on my B10 but was easy enough to sort.
Thanks Phil, I had a good look at front and back sensors and linkages and they look fine, nothing broken. I will try manually moving the arm and see if the lights respond, if they don't sounds like the sensor will be the issue.

E24man
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by E24man » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:00 pm

Last edited by E24man on Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Metrics
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Metrics » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:15 pm

Thanks Kev, unlikely to be the headlamps as they are brand new, but will check in case.

Visually the sensors and arms look fine, not corroded or dirty, but of course that doesn't mean much. I'll investigate further.

I take it things like this produce no error codes?

Charles

Post by Charles » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:47 pm

Recently had a broken front sensor - the connecting rod had failed - and the symptoms were the lights would have alife of their own, suddenly moving down and cutting the length of beam and then moving back up again. Most disconcerting!

No warning light but obvious problem - but then I wouldn't expect a warning light with a broken connector.

Is the short length of beam now a permanent feature or does it start OK and then drop during a drive?

One additional question, the E46 only has a front sensor - why does the E39 have both front and rear, effectively doing the same job, as this would generate conflicts between the two signals?

Either way, a cheap fix and perhaps worth replacing both to eliminate them from the equation. If they are the same unit and interchangeable, then buy one new one and swap them about to identify the single miscreant as I would be surprised if both have failed simultaneously
Charles
Teacher of Chemistry and driver of ALPINAs - not necessarily in that order ;)
B3S Touring (49/116) - been to the moon and now on the way back!
Renault Grand Espace - not mine but the wife's!

Metrics
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Metrics » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:33 am

Charles wrote: Is the short length of beam now a permanent feature or does it start OK and then drop during a drive?

One additional question, the E46 only has a front sensor - why does the E39 have both front and rear, effectively doing the same job, as this would generate conflicts between the two signals?

Either way, a cheap fix and perhaps worth replacing both to eliminate them from the equation. If they are the same unit and interchangeable, then buy one new one and swap them about to identify the single miscreant as I would be surprised if both have failed simultaneously
Thanks Charles. Visually both front and rear look fine - certainly no evidence of damage.

The lights are permanently pointing low. On firing up they do their alignment sequence, but don't come up very far at all. I think I will just go ahead and replace the front sensor and connecting arm/lever.

Why the car has one on the back - no idea, other than to account for heavy loads in the back/boot? How the two system work in unison - also no idea!
The rear parts are different though, so not interchangeable.

Charles

Post by Charles » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:18 pm

The self-check on start-up is independent of the level sensor, so a permanent dropped beam is most likely a sensor failed in the low position. Also, if they are driving don and up then the motors in the headlight units are working fine.

Changing the front level sensor is the obvious starting point - then take it from there I suppose!
Charles

JASV8S
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by JASV8S » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:08 pm

I have seen what Charles is saying as my lights adjusted at switch on of ignition but I found that the sensor unit was jammed.
John
Alpina Blue B10 V8S #54 Saloon
Montreal Red F20 M-Sport
Sparkling Bronze F30 Xdrive (sold)
Titan Silver E90 325iSE (sold)
Blue Mini Cooper (sold)

BarryM
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by BarryM » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:57 am

Hi Asim,

My problem was similar to most others with the front axle link broken but not sure yours is the same problem.

I've attached a couple of images showing the xenon levelling process that might help.

As far as the best diagnostic programs for the E39 I think it's INPA and DIS which are readily available although can be a bit temperamental to get working. I have them on an old laptop if you need a hand.

cheers
Barry.

2001 Alpina B10 V8 #185
1982 Krauser MKM1000 #121 - sold

Metrics
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Metrics » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:46 pm

Hi Barry

Thanks for your input. There's definitely nothing broken - its all remarkably clean looking too, not rusty etc. The adjustment lever arm moves freely too.

I drove the car yesterday after about a week, and the beam is correctly adjusting now. Bizarre. Could it be the lever arm just needs a clean and grease up?

Charles

Post by Charles » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:58 pm

Metrics wrote: Could it be the lever arm just needs a clean and grease up?
Worth a try :D
Charles