D3 Brake Pad Advice & Central Locking Issues

Got a question about your ALPINA ask it here !
You've got the car now you need to know something, techincal advice, specific questions etc.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

toddy2

D3 Brake Pad Advice & Central Locking Issues

Post by toddy2 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:23 pm

I'd fallen out of love of my D3 Touring which had a few issues and has been parked up for a couple of months, since I bought an E39 M5. I had intended selling the D3, but took it out today and decided I will be keeping it, I've owned it for 5 years which is the longest I've owned a car!

I intend to get the car serviced and it does require new brake pads - any recommendations please? I have been looking at these:https://ebcbrakesdirect.com/automotive/ ... -2008/2228

The big issue I have at the moment is the central locking, which has failed and only works with the emergency key. I've tried the batteries in the fobs not this. I have also tried replacing the antenna module in the roof spoiler neither have resolved the issue, main dealer is useless - any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.
2011 D3 BT Grey Touring(Incoming!)
2007 Alpina D3 E91 Montego Blue Touring (SOLD)
2003 BMW E39 M5

ABRAD
ALP
ALP

Post by ABRAD » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:02 am

Hi

With regards to the pads - can't comment as we have stuck to dealer servicing since new as our local dealers can be bargained with!!

With regards to the central locking - have you checked that it doesn't keep blowing the fuse in the rear of the glovebox?? It was a common fault on the e90 that it was fitted with a 15amp fuse.

The solenoids on the doors then fail by starting to draw more current. The cheap fix is to replace the 15amp fuse with a 20 amp. (We carry spares now)

Usually this works on it's own - if not you have to disconnect the battery as well for approx 30 secs.

There id plenty of info on the American websites as a "class" action was launched there and there was a TIS sheet produced regarding replacing the solenoids under warranty.

Surprise, surprise - the dealers here have nnever heard about it.

Ours has gone twice - the first time the day after having read about it on the internet - luckily I had a window open at the time.

Know what you mean about the car. I hadn't driven ours for six months until I was "allowed" to by the wife last night.

We have had some other "nice" cars recently but one squeeze of the throttle and a couple of corners - and I remember why we bought it all those years ago - only problem is that I feel like driving to the South of France in it, every time that happens.

Hope the tip works!!
Current Cars
2010 Alpina B3s Cab (233/Deep Sea Blue)
2002 Alpina B10 V8s (96/Avus Blue)
2008 Alpina B5s (453/Sapphire Black)
2007Alpina D3 MT (348/Titanium Silver)
2009 Honda S2000 (Black/Red Leather)
1999 F355 F1 Spyder (Black/Beige Leather - US Spec)
1988 BMW E28 M5 (Black/Natur Leather - US Spec)
1988 Volkswagen Golf GTI MK2 8V - looking sad for itself and to be renovated!!

Previous Cars
Renaultsport Clio 172
Volkswagen Scirocco
Vauxhall Cavalier SRI
Various Vectras, Laguna's, 406's etc - for work

toddy2

Post by toddy2 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:07 am

ABRAD wrote:Hi

With regards to the pads - can't comment as we have stuck to dealer servicing since new as our local dealers can be bargained with!!

With regards to the central locking - have you checked that it doesn't keep blowing the fuse in the rear of the glovebox?? It was a common fault on the e90 that it was fitted with a 15amp fuse.

The solenoids on the doors then fail by starting to draw more current. The cheap fix is to replace the 15amp fuse with a 20 amp. (We carry spares now)

Usually this works on it's own - if not you have to disconnect the battery as well for approx 30 secs.

There id plenty of info on the American websites as a "class" action was launched there and there was a TIS sheet produced regarding replacing the solenoids under warranty.

Surprise, surprise - the dealers here have nnever heard about it.

Ours has gone twice - the first time the day after having read about it on the internet - luckily I had a window open at the time.

Know what you mean about the car. I hadn't driven ours for six months until I was "allowed" to by the wife last night.

We have had some other "nice" cars recently but one squeeze of the throttle and a couple of corners - and I remember why we bought it all those years ago - only problem is that I feel like driving to the South of France in it, every time that happens.

Hope the tip works!!
Thanks for the reply, I had tried changing the fuses, although only for same amps - I'll try 20amps and will also disconnect the battery. Thanks again, fingers crossed.
2011 D3 BT Grey Touring(Incoming!)
2007 Alpina D3 E91 Montego Blue Touring (SOLD)
2003 BMW E39 M5

ali
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by ali » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:05 pm

May be a simple as coding the keys to the car again .
If the emergency key works then the odds are all the electrics and actuators are fine
B3 3.3 Coupe #090
D3 2.0 Biturbo Touring #098