Recent strange noise from engine bay

Got a question about your ALPINA ask it here !
You've got the car now you need to know something, techincal advice, specific questions etc.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

Mr K Alpina

Recent strange noise from engine bay

Post by Mr K Alpina » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:28 pm

Over the past few days I've noticed my 2009 D3 BT is making a very annoying (albeit not particularly loud) noise from the engine bay on idle. The car seems fine (e.g. power steering ok, brakes ok) but the only thing I've noticed is that when lifting off the throttle, the car doesn't glide so much. This is a very subtle difference however.
Difficult though it is, the only way that I can only describe this noise is it sounds like a toy train. Or if I could spell the noise its: "Fut-Tsch" for every second that passes.
I haven't had the opportunity to try and pinpoint the source, but as I'm on the website I thought I'd mention it and see if it's something anyone is aware of?
The car is due for it's MOT soon so I guess I can ask the garage to have a closer look.
D3 Bi Turbo Saloon

jamesa
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by jamesa » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:18 pm

Have a look for loose pipe / tube around the turbo area - have someone rev the car whilst you look / listen ...
Ex. B10 V8 Touring #160 Alpina Blue : Current M2 DCT (OG)

IAM Joe
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by IAM Joe » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:40 pm

I'm pretty sure the power steering on the BT is electric rather than hydraulic. I'd place my bet on a belt from the noise you describe.

Does the BT have all of the efficient dynamic gubbins on it? Maybe something to do with the freewheel mechanism?
Joe

SOLD!

Diesel Power! #412

PerryGunn
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by PerryGunn » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:16 am

I asked someone who had a lot of experience with the BT and
A Distinguished Gentleman wrote:...the V-belt is often troublesome on those engines and it may be that...especially if it has a sharp 'whiplash' sound on start-up. Joe is correct about the PS, too
so perhaps that will help with the diagnosis
Alpina Roadster S #320
BMW X3 F25 LCI 30d

Mr K Alpina

Post by Mr K Alpina » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:43 pm

I think it does make a clatter on start-up (excluding the diesel sound)
Is it something that should be looked into immediately or can I wait until the MOT in about a month's time?
D3 Bi Turbo Saloon

sward
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by sward » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:23 pm

Hello, Mr K, I'm not sure anyone would dare answer that last question by saying you can wait a month. [Though you never know!] Well, I wouldn't anyway.
If you are worried enough to ask the question, my advice would be to get it checked out ASAP. Ultimately the answer to whether you can wait a month will depend on what the problem turns out to be........ :wink:

rednblack

Post by rednblack » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:34 pm

did you find out what the noise was as I have something similar on mine