D4 20" Tyre Pressures

Got a question about your ALPINA ask it here !
You've got the car now you need to know something, techincal advice, specific questions etc.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

Hector's Dad
ALP
ALP

D4 20" Tyre Pressures

Post by Hector's Dad » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:54 am

I've read the threads on here about reducing the pressures all round. My Alpina supplement handbook says that with driver only and small amount of luggage they can be reduced to 2.7bar all round. However, it makes no distinction between 20" and 19" wheels even though the "recommended" (door pillar) pressures are quite different. Anyone running 2.7bar on 20" wheels on an F30 series D3/D4?

Dunc

Post by Dunc » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:56 am

I run my D4, which has 20" wheels, at 3.0bar all round which seems a good compromise. 2.7bar is too low for me and makes the car feel a bit imprecise on the motorways at a reasonable speed. I have done around 70k miles over the last 2 years and 3.0bar also gives a very even tread wear on the rear.
The lower pressure also means you are more liable to have pothole punctures.

Changing the subject slightly the new Michelin PS4S does seems to have thicker sidewalls than the previous Pilot Super Sport and ,touch wood, has stopped me being stranded so far.

Dunc

Hector's Dad
ALP
ALP

Post by Hector's Dad » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:00 am

Thanks for that - I'll try 3.0bar all round. Mine has Super Sports on. I've only covered 1,000 miles so still getting used to it, hence the wanting to experiment.

(Planning to find a nice spot to photograph it today to update my avatar ) :wink: