e46 exhaust rubber mount DIY

Got a question about your ALPINA ask it here !
You've got the car now you need to know something, techincal advice, specific questions etc.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

rc944
ALPINA
ALPINA

e46 exhaust rubber mount DIY

Post by rc944 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:56 pm

Replaced both the rubber mounts that sit immediately behind the CATs. The are fixed to the underside of the floor and then fixed to a cross member that spans the exhaust tunnel on the underside. they are intended to ensure that the exhaust sits off the heatshield and off the cross members.

if you have a noisy exhaust with a metal on metal sound check your mounting rubbers

Mine had been reported as failed during a a recent annual service.

Its quite easy but access is the main issue so i backed up onto a set of ramps.

- undo 4 x nuts securing the cross member. size 13mm socket
- undo 2 x nuts securiong the mounts to hte cross member
- remove 4 x nuts securing the second cross member. you need to do this because the exhaust needs to be detached from the back
- remove 4 x nuts securing the back box to the floor. you will need an an extension bar to reach into the void
- ensure you have a prop (trolley jack or similar) to hold the exhaust in situ once you have released it from the rear mounts
- return to the rubber mounts and you can now get purchase on the uppermost nuts securing the mounts to the exhaust. remove the nuts.
- wiggle free the old rubber mounts
- fit the new mounts to the exhaust
- reinstate cross members
- raise the exhaust with a jack to help you fix the cross member to the body
- you will now notice that the exhaust sits tighter to the heat shield than before when the rubber mounts had failed/were failing
- reattach back box using jack to support back box

whilst i had good access to the tips i gave them a clean with some tardis, grade 0000 wire wool and autosol

i would suggest that you replace the nuts at the same time as the mounts. they are not supplied with the mounts. you will need 4 of them

Porsche 997.1 GT3 CS I Alpina E46 B3s Coupe I Alpina E46 B3 3.3 Touring I Ducati 749S Mono I Ducati 748R I Ducati 749 Track Bike I Ducati 916S

hap
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by hap » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:14 am

Looking nice and shiny rav
My left pipe has the same black tarnish similar to yours on the top edge tried most things think it will only come off with a dremil type tool

rc944
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by rc944 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:10 pm

yep its stubborn stuff... i didnt want to go nuclear so will let you do the honours next time!
Porsche 997.1 GT3 CS I Alpina E46 B3s Coupe I Alpina E46 B3 3.3 Touring I Ducati 749S Mono I Ducati 748R I Ducati 749 Track Bike I Ducati 916S