Tyre fitting Alpina wheels

The place to talk about ALPINAs.
e.g. News, Reviews, Insurance, Warranties, Running Costs, Sightings, general questions etc.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

bmwfan

Tyre fitting Alpina wheels

Post by bmwfan » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:59 pm

Hi guys. I need to get new tyres on my Alpina classics 19in. I'm unsure but I think I remember reading somewhere about Alpina wheels that the tyres should be fitted on from the back of the rim?

IAM Joe
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by IAM Joe » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:06 pm

That is correct, fitted and removed from the back. There should be a section in the supplementary handbook and also stickers under the wheel caps stating this.

You will need to keep a very close eye on the tyre fitters as it's so easy to mark them :evil:
Joe

SOLD!

Diesel Power! #412

bmwfan

Post by bmwfan » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:14 pm

Hi, I wasn't entirely sure.I wanted to get my story straight before I rang the tyre shop. Thanks for the confirmation.

dellboy 1959
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by dellboy 1959 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:32 pm

Just to take it one stage further,All alloy wheels should have the tyres fitted from the rear where possible :wink:

edit: you have to be very careful who you let loose on your wheels.Some firms haven't got the faintest idea about the dynamics of the job,The amount of cars I've seen with stick on weights on the outer rim is unbelievable :shock:
On a mission to burn as much fossil fuel as possible before it runs out.

Araf
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Araf » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:36 pm

dellboy 1959 wrote:Just to take it one stage further,All alloy wheels should have the tyres fitted from the rear where possible :wink:

edit: you have to be very careful who you let loose on your wheels.Some firms haven't got the faintest idea about the dynamics of the job,The amount of cars I've seen with stick on weights on the outer rim is unbelievable :shock:
Really? I was under the impression that it was dependent on where the tyre well is within the wheel, as one side of the bead has to sit in this, in order for the other side of the bead to slide over the rim.
B3 3.3

dellboy 1959
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by dellboy 1959 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:08 pm

That's why i stated where possible :wink:
On a mission to burn as much fossil fuel as possible before it runs out.

Araf
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Araf » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:11 pm

dellboy 1959 wrote:That's why i stated where possible :wink:
My point being that it's the wheel design that dictates how the tyre can be fitted, not a persons preference. Of course, with the 14 x 5 rims on my Ka, the well is in the centre, so there is a possibilty to choose, but why would you? - especially as there's more chance of damage from the clamp that the fitter can't see, than the tyre iron that he's being very careful with. ;)
B3 3.3

Estoril Sport
ALPI
ALPI

Post by Estoril Sport » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:09 pm

Would anyone recommend the dealer to do this as compared to other main street fitters?
Present: Porsche 911.2 S4
Manual transmission, rear wheel steering, sports suspension and exhaust. Chrono Pack, 18 way Sports seats, plus other goodies!
http://carscapes.byethost33.com/

bmw virgin
ALPIN
ALPIN

Post by bmw virgin » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:06 pm

I can recommend BMTR as a good road/motorsport tyre dealer....they’re based in Birmingham and have the kit for 4w alignment too!

http://www.bmtr.co.uk/ 0121 331 1122.
Colin
2004 Titanium Silver E46 Alpina B3s Coupe #090 - Sold
2014 Black Sapphire F32 Alpina B4BT Coupe #16

Bruce M
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Bruce M » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:13 pm

Be VERY careful about this!

If you mention to many tyre-fitters that your tyres should be fitted from the back of the alloy, they will roll their eyes and ignore you. They probably get asked this by lots of people with expensive alloys, worried about scratches.

I got the reply, "don't worry mate, when I put it on the machine the tyres stretch like rubber bands".

You should carefully explain that the dished section of the rim (were the diameter is narrower) is on the inside of the alloy, not on the outside like with most alloy wheels. This is where the tyre sits when they pop it over the rim edge.

If they try to mount it from the front, they will struggle to stretch the tyres the extra amount and will probably scratch the alloys.

Even the best establishments can make this mistake if you get the wrong fitter that day.

I suggest doing a Charles....... watch the guy like a hawk and if he ignores the correct process, keep shouting until he stops. :wink:
--------
Gone but not forgotten

bvb

Post by bvb » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:05 pm

The last time I had new tyres fitted and mentioned that they needed to be fitted from the back, the guy said he didn't know that but he would know as soon as he'd taken the wheel off to have a look. Does that mean the good ones can usually tell how they need to be fitted?

blacky
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by blacky » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:34 pm

normal alloy face up

alpina alloy face down

you can see the shape on the pic of the alpina wheel that its narrow close to the top

whan the beab is broken you can see the narrow section

but its easy for someone that fitts 60/70 tyres a day to miss this so tell them
also mention to them that you took a pic of all the wheels befoe you went to there establishment so if they mark the rims there paying to get them refurbished
the start of something good

Araf
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Araf » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:02 pm

blacky wrote:also mention to them that you took a pic of all the wheels befoe you went to there establishment so if they mark the rims there paying to get them refurbished
I know my local fitters, and they know me. If they're race wheels that need part-worn slicks fitted, then they know not to replace the valves, and charge me less per corner. If they're good wheels, then they know that if they take extra care I give them a drink for their trouble. :)
B3 3.3

Abanko
A
A

Post by Abanko » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:54 am

Hi. Does anyone have a recommendation of tyre fitters in the Nottingham area who know how to deal with Alpina wheels? I assume the need for rear loading is still valid?
B10 V8 #842