ALPINA Running Costs

ALPINA Costs - Insurance, Depreciation, Oil Usage

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

Charles

Post by Charles » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:48 am

Easy-pd wrote:Charles, how do you find her for massive miles? I got the d3 because I do 150 per day. Is it massively more on fuel etc? I have everything except the beautiful noise and would love to get something a bit throatier next time round. Are you crippled by petrol costs? Other running costs seem very similar otherwise
Holy Post resurrection :!:

When I ordered the car back in 2003 I had a decision to make between a 330d and the B3S. I knew I was going to be doing big miles but I decided life was too short to worry too much about fuel consumption when compared with wanting to enjoy the car every time I drove it.

In the early years I was averaging about 25k miles pa but I have cut back recently and now do "only" 20k miles pa.

Running costs are "330i reasonable" and I have consistently achieved 25-26 mpg on V-Power which I am happy with.

Yes I know that I could have been enjoying 35+mpg with a diesel but I was prepared to sacrifice that against the induction roar of a normally aspirated straight six running at 6000rpm :twisted:

Would I change that decision today? No - this is the most complete car that I have ever owned and I sometimes wake at night worrying about what I would replace her with if the worst were to happen.
Charles
Teacher of Chemistry and driver of ALPINAs - not necessarily in that order ;)
B3S Touring (49/116) - been to the moon and now on the way back!
Renault Grand Espace - not mine but the wife's!

Easy-pd
ALPI
ALPI

Post by Easy-pd » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:13 am

Thanks, a friend has a 63 amg and does similar miles, but she's minted and it's not an issue. I am starting to think that there needs to be a fun premium to pay considering I sit in her for 3 hours per day. Not that I regret the d3 for a second.

Just throwing it out there and I think I know the answer, please don't tear me down in flames. LPG ever been done? Does it effect performance, longevity etc. highly doubt I ever would, just interested really...

jolls
ALPIN
ALPIN

Post by jolls » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:34 am

Lpg has been done. Take a look here http://thealpinaregister.com/forums/vie ... php?t=5005

Abanko
A
A

B10 V8 Service Costs

Post by Abanko » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:03 pm

Just looking at standard services costs for B10 V8 and called in to Sytner's Notts. £670 for Inspection 2. How does that compare with others?

Any recommendations of suitable garages in East Mids?

Abanko
A
A

B10 V8 Service Costs

Post by Abanko » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:15 pm

Just looking at standard services costs for B10 V8 and called in to Sytner's Notts. £670 for Inspection 2. How does that compare with others?

Any recommendations of suitable garages in East Mids?

Henry
ALPI
ALPI

Re: ALPINA Running Costs

Post by Henry » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:37 pm

I read this with interest although I’m afraid I can’t contribute as I do everything myself. Downside is that there will be no more stamps in the book, just a load of receipts for parts and bits. As for the LPG my 4.6 has the Alpina engine and is LPG’d it is fitted with 2 vaporisers in series as most if not all high delivery vaporisers are at their limit at 300 bhp, you will be running seriously lean with your foot to the floor. Park Lane BMW fitted the one on mine in 2010 at a cost of just over 2k. So the receipts say. Interesting that it is cheaper to get done today?
As for doing things myself, to me it’s a hobby, for example, as the rear alignment can’t be made spot on I have decided to replace the complete bushing and bearings in the rear. All lemforder and less than £100. I suppose if I ever decide to sell I will have to depend on visual image, how it starts and runs and drives rather than the book stamps. Out of interest how important do people think that is on a 20 year old car with 170k.
I must say that now the car is "on the road’ and I have driven it some it is so smooth, idles like it’s just come out of the factory, pulls like a train, I’m so impressed.
B3 1999 (090)
E30 M3 1990
X5 4.6is
VW Mk4 R32

Alpina Jim
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Alpina Jim » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:11 am

Hi Henry, good luck with the work you are carrying out on your B3, it sounds as though it has found an enthusiastic diy owner.

I decided to do the servicing and some smaller jobs myself on my B10 a number of years ago as I have always maintained my own cars, and like yourself enjoy doing it. I use the recommended Castrol oil etc and OEM parts, and keep all the receipts as proof. I also had a personal stamp made up so that I can keep the service book up to date for my own benefit and as an easy reference for servicing dates etc. As I am keeping my car indefinitely I am not worried about having a part diy history, and like to think that the condition of my car reflects the treatment it gets both body and mechanical wise, a bit like yourself with your thinking.

keep up the good posts and diy work.
Jim

'98 B10 3.2 #174 in Alpina Blue owned since 13th Sept 2002.

Henry
ALPI
ALPI

Post by Henry » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:31 pm

Hi Jim, I like that idea of making a stamp as long as it’s not trying to bluff the next owner. Which in our case isn’t going to happen. Reminds me though of my sons x5 he sold, didn’t have any paperwork other than V5 and MOT pass. It appeared 2 months later on a traders site with full service history??
B3 1999 (090)
E30 M3 1990
X5 4.6is
VW Mk4 R32

PhillV8S
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by PhillV8S » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:06 pm

I think anybody who actually cares about these things take very little notice of a book of stamp, unless backed up the invoices to along with them. No book but lots of receipts and invoices is just fine imo,
Range Rover SDV8.
E64 B6s #100 Cabriolet (Now Sold)
Maserati Gransport