Post by bmw virgin » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:48 pm

Colin
2004 Titanium Silver E46 Alpina B3s Coupe #090 - Sold
2014 Black Sapphire F32 Alpina B4BT Coupe #16

Jervint
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Jervint » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:43 pm

What seems to escape most people is that diesel engines come with turbochargers.

Certainly in that review they seem to have glossed over that quite well when drawing their comparisons.

People say they prefer the torque of diesels etc. It's really the forced induction they are so in love with.

Personally I can't be doing with the sooty rear end, filthy engine bay and coked components etc. Not to mention the crummy noise.

There are far more components in a diesel engine, more again if forced induction. The maintenance required as the miles pile on is far more involved and there are bits that need cleaning that don't even exist on petrol engines. Offset all that against the fuel bills as well.

What makes me laugh the most is the so called sporty diesels and modified diesels that exist these days. When driven hard the MPG is no better than the big petrol engines anyway.

No, I'm a petrol man personally. They have their place for those doing substantial mileage as the article mentions but even with all the money and research that has been thrown at diesel technology in the last 20 years I can't ever see it being the better fuel...

Charles

Post by Charles » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:47 pm

Despite the improved fuel economy, you would really have to drag me kicking and screaming into a diesel car.

They are filthy machines when it comes to the environment and particularly human health.

Yes, I know that they are under ever increasingly tight regulations but, as VW have shown, it is very easy to pass the tests and then pollute the atmosphere under normal driving conditions.

And these tighter regulations only apply to the newest cars - how many times have you followed a soot-belching diesel, especially when they boot it and clog the air for half a mile?

The micro-particles of soot are dreadful for our lungs and are a major contributor to global dimming and the non-CO2 exhaust gases are significantly more noxious than those coming from petrol cars.

Meanwhile. petrol engine technology is improving rapidly such that economy improvements are not at the cost of performance and I am sure there is a lot more to come.

But the article actually misses the fundamental point - why do people change their cars every three years when the impact on the environment is so much greater than running the same car for longer despite having poorer economy than the newer model?
Charles
Teacher of Chemistry and driver of ALPINAs - not necessarily in that order ;)
B3S Touring (49/116) - been to the moon and now on the way back!
Renault Grand Espace - not mine but the wife's!