Place to talk about Fast cars in general

Moderator: neil

B10BRW
ALPINA
ALPINA

A close encounter with Hurricane Matthew

Post by B10BRW » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:35 am

Decided to spend some time on Hilton Head South Carolina this week :doh
After only 36 hours at the resort we were told Matthew was on his way, and that we had to evacuate the island :(
At the time I could not see what all the fuss was about, as it couldn't possibly be that bad and it was 2 days away.
How wrong can you be :oops:
Luckily common sense prevailed and we made an early start on the wednesday.
This enabled us to avoid the traffic madness, having lost our accommodation we then had to find a Hotel much further North.
All the hotels I tried up to 150 miles away were already full :(
Managed to find one 270 miles away :shock:
Stayed a couple of days in North Carolina, the forecast was looking dodgy so moved even further North, to Greensboro NC.
Again Matthew was following us, so yesterday drove the 200 miles to Richmond Virginia, the rain was biblical, I think I can claim the record for the longest aquaplane, 200 miles fishtailing is very tiring :lol:
It is fortunate that the grass strip dividing the lanes is wide over here, as I passed several cars that had not managed to control their aquaplaning :(
Quite frightening to see the damage caused to so may places we had just visited, Charleston, Savannah, Fayetteville, Lumberton and Hilton Head.
The water surge behind our apartment on Hilton Head was measured at 14 feet :whistle
Next stop New York, hope it doesn't follow us there :D

MCB
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by MCB » Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:25 pm

Yes I remember those very wide central reservations Brian. You could build a house on them :shock:

Anyway get yourself back over here. Typical autumn weather and traffic congestion that will not allow you to aquaplane :lol:
1997 E36 Alpina B3 3.2 Touring. No.66
1998 E36 1.8 Touring
1989 E30 M3.
2004 E60 530D
2004 Vauxhall Signum (for the shopping)
2002 E39 M5 (Sold)