Ceramic based treatments

Discuss all aspects of Car Care / Detailling etc.
rodbargee
AL
AL

Ceramic based treatments

Post by rodbargee » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:35 pm

I have just made a detailing enquiry to a firm that has a good reputation from people I know who have used them. I asked how long did a good Mcguires wax generally last? This was the reply ….

"Wax is good for approx. 2-3 months. In all honesty I don't use wax anymore and haven't done for a few years as better products are available. I use ceramic based treatments these days that protect against scratching, marring, bird marks, etc. provide up to 7yrs protection and give a better finish than any wax. Even spray based sealants are now good for 6-7 months. I use the GTechniq range heavily these days. Customers love it."

Has anyone here had first hand experience of these treatments especially the ceramic based one….. what's the consensus?
Thanks in advance
Adam

D3orbust
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by D3orbust » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:31 pm

I've bitten the bullet and recently applied a ceramic based sealant to my D5, as I don't have the time to wax the car every few weeks.

From personal experience most of the Gtechniq range is very overrated and there is a lot better out there from the likes of Gyeon, Cquartz, nanolex etc.

I applied Nanaloex Si3d to my car a few weeks ago and I'm really pleased with the product. The sealant has darkened up the paint and the car just stays a lot cleaner In between washes.

Washing the car is now a 20 minute job.

Here's a video of a Gyeon coating that GuyW had applied to the D5 before I bought it from him:

http://youtu.be/9m8oijsulUI
B5 G30 number 332 (development car)

D5 number 21

D3MT number 284 (gone but will be sadly missed)

rodbargee
AL
AL

Post by rodbargee » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:53 pm

Wow that looks stunning…Very Expensive?…..Thanks for the reply

D3orbust
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by D3orbust » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:02 am

I'm not sure what GuyW paid for the detail, but the Nanolex Si3d cost me £40 for the kit and it should last around 20,000 miles.

I had a 'kid free' free so applied it myself and it's very user friendly when compared to the gtechniq products.
B5 G30 number 332 (development car)

D5 number 21

D3MT number 284 (gone but will be sadly missed)

Deeg
ALP
ALP

Post by Deeg » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:52 pm

I've recently applied Gyeon Q2 MOHS. applied it to the girlfirends fiesta last May and applied it to my D3 February this year, both cars come up superb after a quick wash. durability appears to be good, as said fiesta is still going strong.

I applied it my self so cant comment on having it performed by a detailer.
D3 - MT 2006 #207 - SOLD
E46 - M3 - 2002 - current
D3 BT e91 2011 #277 - current

jamesa
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by jamesa » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:08 pm

I have the gtechniq coating on a recent used car purchase, including the interior. It was applied by the dealer staff, for someone `uneducated` in detailing products / processes I am extremely impressed.

The finish is mirror like but not silky smooth. The coating has a five year warranty, subject to annual inspections.

The treatment includes the wheels and calipers which having new front discs / pads were liberally coated in brake dust after a week. Cleaned up effortlessly.

The car is not a daily hence purposely :wink: left washing it (white) for two months :shock: in order to test it ... the front - roof - rear hatch kept amazingly clean (decent aero may be assisting this).

Front end bug deposits were plentiful but minimized, the wheels and lower half of the side bodywork were the dirty areas.

Washing a car has never been so easy, using the supplied gtechniq product.
Ex. B10 V8 Touring #160 Alpina Blue : Current M2 DCT (OG)