Is smoking really that bad for you?

Rambling from the Sage of Oxford
Charles

Is smoking really that bad for you?

Post by Charles » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:17 pm

Well that's got your attention...

3 weeks ago - well actually 3 weeks, 1 day, 20 hours and 13 minutes ago I stopped smoking.

For years people had been telling me that it was bad for me and I should stop. Eventually I took their advice and guess what?

I haven't felt so bad for a long time. I am not sleeping well, I am putting on weight and feeling bloated, my breath stinks and I have constant indigestion. I have no energy and wake up feeling as if I smoked three packets in two hours - but I haven't had a cigarette for over 3 weeks!!!!

Sure the upside is that I have saved myself £157.06 to date and recovered 1 day, 23 hours and 35 minutes of my life (I've got this cute little piece of software running on my PC keeping track of all these things) but I have to ask if it's worth it given how I am feeling at the moment.

Has anyone else experienced the same thing when they stopped smoking?
Charles
Teacher of Chemistry and driver of ALPINAs - not necessarily in that order ;)
B3S Touring (49/116) - been to the moon and now on the way back!
Renault Grand Espace - not mine but the wife's!

D4
Administrator
Administrator

Post by D4 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:40 pm

yep last time i stopped... :wink: I managed 2 years... put on loads of weight and tbh didn't feel that bad in the end... but I started again about a year ago...

having said that with July 1st looming just over the horizon i'll be trying to quit again one day soon... (probably when all my cheap Russian duty free runs out... - mind you i'm back out there in a month so that might scupper that plan...)
Last edited by D4 on Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2011 BMW 520d M Sport Saloon
2008 BMW 120i M Sport 5 Door

Previous ALPINAs
1984 E28 B9 3.5
1989 E32 B11 3.5
2000 E39 B10 V8 Touring
2005 E85 Roadster S #344

Twitter: d4bmw (follow me for all the latest ALPINA updates and other car related guff)

KevinB10
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by KevinB10 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:06 pm

Kev's wife here! I gave up over 2 years ago (lat time round!), & this is the longest I've gone without even touching a fag! Breath smells? Not as much as it did when you smoked I promise. 3 weeks is danger time, but also think about all the c...p that's now clearing out of your lungs & don't put it back in again. Deal with the weight gain later - it will come off again, but give it time! Keep going, it'll be so worth it in the end. :)
Kevin

Steve A
ALPIN
ALPIN

Post by Steve A » Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:25 pm

Well done charles. As an ex smoker i can understand your position.

I gather you have smoked for many decades??? it will take your body more than a few weeks to acclimatise to not being poisoned!!!!

In the next few weeks you'll start to feel miles better, and by about 3 months you will wonder how you could have been so bloody stupid all these years :lol:

Keep it up and think about seeing your grandchildren and my best advice is to take up some exercise it will really help..... or kill you :lol:

Good Luck.
RS4 Saloon 2007 Daytona Grey
M6 Coupe Indianapolis Red
ML420CDI Sport

Chas
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Chas » Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:22 am

I had one yesterday and it's probably the 5th I've had this year. By time I was half way through it I didn't want to finish it. I was never a 20 a day man and I've never had a problem stopping. I just found it difficult on a night out when I was around others who were smoking. Yes, you will feel crap for a few weeks but please persist with it, it's worth it. The same thing happens when you try to cut out gluten in your diet.

Trust me, the ban on smoking in public is wonderful because it doesn't give you the opportunity, especially on a cold wet night! I first experienced it in Stavanger three years ago and thought it was a bit odd. Then we banned it here in Scotland last year. What a revelation!

I was in London yeseterday and just happened to find myself in the Bridge Bar on the south of Tower Bridge. It was a bizarre experience and quite unpleasant to see all those people smoking. This morning, my jacket stinks. It's amazing how quickly you adapt to the change and begin to see smoking as unsociable rather than appealing.

You could always limit yourself to one or two a day for a while. It's a dangerous tactic if you dont have much will power but give the packet to Mrs L with strict instructions not to let you have more than two and cut it down to one after a couple of months. Try to percieve a cigarette as a special treat instead of something you should be doing on an hourly basis.

And take more exercise :)

rcshott
ALPINA
ALPINA

Re: Is smoking really that bad for you?

Post by rcshott » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:12 pm

Charles wrote:Well that's got your attention...

3 weeks ago - well actually 3 weeks, 1 day, 20 hours and 13 minutes ago I stopped smoking.

I haven't felt so bad for a long time. I am not sleeping well, I am putting on weight and feeling bloated, my breath stinks and I have constant indigestion. I have no energy and wake up feeling as if I smoked three packets in two hours - but I haven't had a cigarette for over 3 weeks!!!!

Sure the upside is that I have saved myself £157.06 quote]

WELL DONE CHARLES>>>(Dr. Huet here, ha, ha, ha) Not really a doctor...but we shoot animals like that!
You're almost there mate! But you are suffering 'withdrawl' symptoms...quite normal. Kev's wife hit the nail on the head with her comments. Talk to her!!!
I personally gave up smoking when I was 13 (yes, thirteen, when I left school)! Now 62 'n still drink 'like a fish'. When I die I'll be put in a pickle jar :lol:

Your symtoms are typical...clean ya teeth AT LEAST twice a day, mate.. Get into a routine.
Increased weight is caused by eating more because you don't smoke.
Indegestion is from eating too fast & the stomach can't handle the extra food! Watch how much you eat, AND SIT & ENJOY THE MEAL>>>EAT SLOWLY & 'AVE A GLASS A REeeeeeD mate...

Interestingly, each time I visited Britian & Europe I thought cigarattes seemed to give off more smoke? Had a few (confined restaurant) expierences.

Across 'Oz' now, we are not able to smoke in bars, restaurants, pubs, anywhere where food is prepared sold or held, on all patrolled beaches 'between the flags', enclosed or semi-enclosed public areas, ALL public buildings, etc, etc. Cigarette sales have slowed & the bar maid can go home with clean clothes & hair! We can now be fined for throwing a 'dumper' out of the car window (major fire hazard in the bush) or even into the street gutter!

Not that I care about smell. The difference is only a wash. BUT we have NO WATER LEFT. For washing that is...still enough to make BEER 'n WINE though!!!
Hang in there, you WILL be better off financially & health wise.
Best of (clean) health 8)

alpina46
Tourettes Champion
Tourettes Champion

Post by alpina46 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:43 pm

Bugger i take it you will not need any cigs at Gaydon this year Charles :?: :lol: :lol: :lol:
M2
520d F11 M Sport Touring
B10 V8 #240
Mini Cooper S convertible
220d M Sport convertible
MGB GT
MG Midget
520d F11 M Sport Touring (sold)
118d F20 M Sport(sold)
118d E87 M Sport(sold)
John Cooper Works (sold)
D3 Touring #183(sold)
M3 3.0 E36 (sold)
523 E39 (sold)
520 E34 Touring (sold)
318IS E36 (sold)

Charles

Post by Charles » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:56 am

alpina46 wrote:Bugger i take it you will not need any cigs at Gaydon this year Charles :?: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sorry Tony - you'll have to find some other punter to fleece for your petrol money this year :wink:
Charles
Teacher of Chemistry and driver of ALPINAs - not necessarily in that order ;)
B3S Touring (49/116) - been to the moon and now on the way back!
Renault Grand Espace - not mine but the wife's!