Adams Product Reviews

Discuss all aspects of Car Care / Detailling etc.
Jervint
ALPINA
ALPINA

Adams Product Reviews

Post by Jervint » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:39 pm

Okay gents, summer is upon us...the time has come for waxing the bejeesus out of our motors! I was asked some time ago if I wouldn't mind reviewing some car care products; it's been a long time but I've finally managed to get round to it. Reviews will be brief, honest and my own opinion. This is not an advert and I am not affiliated with Prestige Car Care in any way.

The brand in question is Adams which is an American brand. Jeff Cheetham at Prestige knows I like the Adams stuff but I will be giving my honest opinion. One thing which hasn't been feasible is to do a 50/50 for each product....just haven't got that time especially with a toddler. I will try though.

I have a pretty good cross section of the range though, and it's because I'm all for the brand characteristics (just as I am with the Alpina brand). Adams products are reformulated year on year and are:

Easy to use
Fast to use
Work great
Smell great
Last well (a little goes a long way)

Unsurprisingly, it's not the cheapest brand in the world, but it works, lasts well and the spray bottles are superb. You really do get what you pay for. You may think I'm lying but when you see the prices you'll start to believe me. Whilst I use the Detail Spray liberally on anything wash, some of these are for the B5 only!

We'll start with the Total Interior Detailer.

Handy spray for the interior, can be used on any surface including leather. Has a fresh smell but all Adams products smell good. Has just enough cleaning power to budge gentle stains. Lovely finish...OEM look and not slick to the touch.

As a one stop inside spray it's very good. I prefer to use dedicated products for the interior but this gets a 7/10 from me...delivers but not my favourite aroma personally.

Leather and Interior Cleaner

This is one of the dedicated interior products I use. Strong cleaning power, very effective at removing dirt and bringing the colour back to leather. Excellent on black. Not one you want to squirt directly onto seat...this is pretty potent stuff. 8.5/10

Vinyl, Rubber and Trim Protectant

This a beaut. I absolutely love this stuff. I absolutely hated the Autoglym Trim Gel...this little bad boy is the direct opposite. Hardly need any on a sponge and it lasts forever round the car. Has a fantastic restorative effect on plastics and tyres with a very natural look, no residue. Bottle just lasts forever. Real corker 10/10

Revive Fine Hand Polish

Really good as a pre-wax paint cleanser. This polish's strengths are its ease of use and how long it lasts. A tiny drop goes a long way...cures fast and easy off. No abrasives, not much artifical lustre but super as a cleaner which will bring the colour back 8.5/10

Detail Spray

This one is basically their flagship product. It's a multitalented belter. Gives massive gloss as a final wipedown product and smells outrageously good!

Also works as a drying aid...used in conjunction with a good drying towel it's downright spooky. Water just vacates the area!

Safe to be used on the entire car and works well anywhere...glass cleaner, interior spray, tyre shine, pad primer, clay lube etc etc. The list really does go on...incredibly versatile but truly shines as a final spray or drying aid. The smell of Adams Detail Spray is just pure 100% happiness in a bottle.

Have mine in hand always for all jobs. Little water marks and imperfections at the end of the wash...Detail Spray makes it all better. I cannot be without mine and I buy it by the gallon. 10/10 and if I could possibly justify giving it any more points than that I would!! Gloss-tastic!

Brilliant Glaze

The clue is in the name with this one. Yes it does gives really nice gloss and even a granny could use it...but it does seem to go down quick for an Adams product and I never use it. Very nice gloss and scent for those summer days and a dream to use, just makes it more like fun than work but only gets a 7.5/10 with me, everyone else raves about this stuff but it's hard to find a place for it in my process.

Metal Polish #1

This is good as a metal cleaner. Isn't the cheapest out there by far but works well. 6/10

Metal Polish #2

Second phase of the metal treatment...polishes off to a fine shine. Again not cheap but works of course. Better than Autosol but then also several times the price. 6/10

Paint Correcting Polish

Such a good abrasive polish. Has really good cut and buffs out to a fine powder...no chalky residue and much easier to wipedown afterwards. Much prefer this to the Meguiars I was using before. Last better than Megs too as you don't need much. Dream to work with 10/10

Paint Finishing Polish

Have only had a brief go with this but seems to be on par with the PCP...these are my new go-to abrasive polishes. 10/10

Glass Cleaner

Of course this works really well...good cleaning power, zero streaks and easy to buff out. It's also £10 a bottle which is pretty eyewatering considering a cheap glass cleaner pretty much does the trick. I gave this a go in case I was missing a glorious secret but in reality it's just good glass cleaner...5/10

Car Shampoo

This would have to be pretty good to knock my Zymol off it's perch..the Zymol has a fantastic coconut smell but I really like the Adams shampoo for its superior resistance to drying. Still very sudsy but you don't have to.rush to get round the car with the Adams...one panel will always be facing the sun and it lasts better on those warm days. If I reorder this I will bloody miss the Zymol and it's Ambre Solaire smell! 9/10

All Purpose Cleaner

Another absolute worldie. Used neat it budges anything. First time I used it was on a boot floor carpet which had dried glue, oil and brake dust smeared in. Came up like new. I dilute this to a few different strengths, depending on the job in hand. Use it round the house too...bloody love this stuff. Never lets me down. Another one I buy in gallons. 10/10

Under Carriage Spray

This wonderful concoction is great for wheel arch liners...Gives an impossibly black finish which is especially useful on 4x4s. If you're looking for the perfect finish for show season this is a nice touch. Works to a tee but not really a casual product and goes down quicker than most Adams products. 9/10

I don't have a picture of the Wheel Cleaner to hand. It's a very good wheel cleaner and is safe for paint if diluted 1:1 so can be used as a fallout remover. Another one for the gallon. I use this diluted 2:1 for maintenance washes and neat for very dirty wheels. 9/10 because it does tend to go fairly swiftly if you're overzealous. Very decent smell for a wheel cleaner...no rotten eggs here.

Also have a Waterless Wash which is surprisingly good. Grand for getting bird poo off the car while out and about. I have a bottle in all our cars...very handy stuff (9.5/10)

Can't not mention the Big Yellow...this is a drying cloth from Prestige Car Care. Not an Adams product but when coupled with the Detail Spray at the drying stage the results are unreal. Soaks up water like you won't believe. Makes big fluffy towels hang their heads in shame...

And just one of the B5 as the sun goes down...

Guys I haven't mentioned prices too much because it varies depending on what size bottle you buy. . Generally it's between £10 and £20 for a 9oz bottle. The one thing the Adams range is not is cheap but then cheap products can be a false economy as you end up using more. The real stinger is that the gallons are US gallons so a little short of a UK measure but that really is the way to go on most of these...as long as you buy the bottle first you can always refill into it and believe me the bottles and spray heads are better than what most people sell empty for £3-4 each. But this is not a budget brand by any means.

As for the smells...it'll.be a nice surprise for those that order. I believe we still have an alpina10 discount code which gets you 10% at the checkout...thank you to Jeff for that.

Hopefully will find time this week to do a couple of 50/50s...

Just leave you with the VRT...

Thanks for reading.

Jervint
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Jervint » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:28 pm

Oops...the bottles are 16oz not 9oz. My apologies for America and their inability to adot the metric system :)

BarryM
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by BarryM » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:53 pm

You are indeed an Adams fan....after being impressed with the Big Yellow I've just ordered the VRT so hope it's as good as you suggest :)
2001 Alpina B10 V8 #185
1982 Krauser MKM1000 #121 - sold

scalesg
ALP
ALP

Post by scalesg » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:38 pm

I am an ever growing fan of Adams

I love the detail spray, such a great shine and smell and makes drying so much easier. So maybe best to use their car shampoo toot hen, I will when my Autoglym runs down

I also use the big yellow, I was so impressed I bought another :-)

I haven't tried the metal polish but when my new tube of Autosol runs out (years to go probably) I will buy it if it is indeed better

I have just started using the interior detailer and love it, it just cleans it with no shine, exactly what I want.

I can also recommend the carpet and upholstery cleaner, did a great job on the entire interior on an old run about I use and will be using it when I need to in the BM. I used two bottles on it, but the interior was in a bad way when I got the car....

Thanks for the tip on the all purpose cleaner, that will be next on my wanted list of Adams products!

As you say, these products are not cheap and some run down very quickly, but if you do purchase the gallon containers you get much much better value for money (unless I worked it out wrong...)

With regards to the correcting and finishing polish, is this suitable for scratches etc? Does it work like T Cut? I haven't used that for a long time and not used anything similar either, just clay bar and detail spray....

Thanks for the write up!!
E46 B3S Saloon
E46 330Ci
Golf VR6 loved for 7 years and then went bang at 7K rpm, sadly missed
So many other cars, faves below
Ford Orion 1.6i Ghia
Triumph dolomite 1850 (With Sprint wheels of course!)
Fiat 131 Supermiafiori
Mercedes 250CE Pillar less coupe (my first car!!)

Jervint
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Jervint » Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:31 pm

Yeah there's quite a few I don't own but then it's a big range.

I hear good things about the In and Out spray, H2O Guard and Gloss, Microfibre Revitalizer and the Carpet cleaner.

It's all good stuff and that's why I'm happy to recommend it. I find the GTechniq products even more pricey to be fair but another fantastic brand. The one thing Adams won't do is let you down. ..quality is guaranteed.

The PCP and PFP are indeed for defect correction. They can be used by hand but best results with machine. There's an orange applicator for using by hand. One thing I forgot to mention is the Adams applicators....by far the best I've used. Comfortable and fast...about £8-9 each but built to last.

Autosol is pretty good stuff and fantastic for the price...the Adams polishes are great but also 7 times more...plus they are two stage for best results. Fortunately they do them in 4 oz bottles which is good because unlike Detail Spray etc they're not really a common use product.

Barry, the VRT is superb...you will love it. Good for tyres too if that's your bag.

Enjoy the summer gents

Jervint
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Jervint » Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:39 pm

Guys just one thing to mention.

Whilst the gallons are definitely the most cost effective way to buy this gear it's worth remembering that they are US gallons hence slightly shorter portion than a UK gallon.

Also for those that have the BIG Yellow and Detail Spray combo....use the Spray when drying the car off. A little on the cloth and a little on the panel. The hydrophobic effect is magic when combined with the Big Leller.

Thanks

BarryM
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by BarryM » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:43 pm

So how does the Adams QD compare to Sonax Extreme BSD as that's what I use and although it can be a bit grabby when applying it the finish is superb as is the beading of course.
2001 Alpina B10 V8 #185

Jervint
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Jervint » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:00 pm

I had a Sonax QD...cant swear it was the exact one you have though. Quick Detailers are brilliant products generally but the Detail Spray is by far the best I've used and the reason why I've got 2 or 3 others in my bag that I no longer bother with. Pretty sure one is a Sonax.

It's easy to use in all conditions, even on hot panels (when you get to a show for example)....massively versatile too so not a worry if you hit glass or rubber with it. Doesn't leave streaks and gives massive gloss. In terms of beading, I wouldn't rely on a Quick Detailer to give you any kind of protection on its own. I have Spray waxes for in between carnauba and LSP and they're better for beading than a QD. Whatever beading a spray might give you on the day will be gone very quickly...even with a dedicated spray wax.

Same with liquid waxes...they're just not going to offer the longevity of a paste or hard wax. I do sell a BMW liquid wax on ebay which is remarkably good but for real longevity it has to be the right product and longevity really is the test for protection.

BarryM
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by BarryM » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:03 pm

You definitely know more about this stuff than me but I put the Sonax BSD on top of a wax called Fusso 99 (used to put it on top of AG HD wax) which had rave reviews on Detailing World and seems really good so happy at the moment with plenty in stock but might give the Adams QD a bash when I run out.
2001 Alpina B10 V8 #185

Jervint
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Jervint » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:27 am

I'm also a Fusso man...cant beat it for the price or even twice the price! It's retired all my other waxes ie. Britemax Vantage,FK1000p (for wheels) etc.

I'd wager its that that gives you your excellent beading...the Soft 99 range is superb stuff and their carnauba is well priced. Little bit more tricky to take off than the sealants but a great range at very little moolah. The UK distributor Jackie Wong is also a top chap and im happy to recommend his brand also...if the gear is quality then it's a no brainer and Jackie's prices are just brilliant.

I used to use Jackie's applicators before the Adams ones were released into the UK. Now I use Jackie's ones for wheels and Trim. ..at £1.50 each I don't feel guilty chucking them.

And thanks for the compliment...I'm just a weekend warrior but we did have a garage many moons ago and valeting the cars was just part and parcel of flipping them.

Report back when you've tried the Detail Spray...it's heaven to work with!