Buying a b3 e46

Thinking of Buying one - ask your questions here.
Buying guides, Specific questions about a car, or about a particular model, ALPINA characteristics.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

drewjak
ALPIN
ALPIN

Post by drewjak » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:51 am

The Vanos is only a single unit on the B3 , so yes simpler but its the oil seals that fail in them , its quite an easy diagnose if it ticks over and sounds like a diesel then there is a problem. :shock:
ESTORIL BLUE B3 3.3 COUPE #60 of 90
& the last 1 registered in 2000

The lack of L.S.D keeps me on the straight and narrow

ALPINA......Because Gentlemen don't drift

Alan Jackman

Post by Alan Jackman » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:15 pm

Thanks for the reply Drewjak. Something else I was thinking, is there anyway to check the gearbox, test drive obviously but any little tricks that give away any weaknesses? It's the alpina bits that worry me most.
I like to put a bit of money away to cover annual repairs, servicing etc what would be a ball park figure per year £500 or more.
A daft thought ,are they ok on the speed bumps? Loads where I live and the front spoiler looks low in some photos.
Drewjak spotted you like your fishing can you fit your rods in ok?
You've all been really helpful so far ta.

drewjak
ALPIN
ALPIN

Post by drewjak » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:50 pm

I couldn't really advise on the gearbox as I've never had any trouble from it, as long as its smooth and relatively quick and there is no delays and clunks it should be fine, I rarely drive in full auto as I prefer to use the buttons on the steering wheel because I like to control which gear Im in especially around town as I find it changes gears quite quick going up.
As far as Alpina bits go on the gearbox its only electronic management side of things.
One thing about it is they are far nicer to drive and use than the standard bmw auto box!
As far as yearly running costs there are so many variables to consider i wouldn't like to say I average 4,000 miles a year and rarely see 60mph or more in mine so it doesn't get much ware and tare like many others.
Speed bumps aren't much of an issue for me either ,my main foe is a kerb in the front of a parking bay but Ive learned to reverse in them now as ive been caught a couple of times but in general they're not to low.
I dont take much gear when im fishing only a rucksack and a rod holdall which fits diagonally in the rear when the seats are down, the B3 has 60/40 split fold rear sears .
ESTORIL BLUE B3 3.3 COUPE #60 of 90
& the last 1 registered in 2000

The lack of L.S.D keeps me on the straight and narrow

ALPINA......Because Gentlemen don't drift

Alan Jackman

Post by Alan Jackman » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:09 am

Cheers drewjak been really helpful mate. My annual mileage is about the same, Only go work and back but hopefully get one of these and I'll start driving about a bit more. Cheers.

Alan Jackman

Post by Alan Jackman » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:46 am

Does anyone know anything about this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2000-BMW-Alpi ... 5d56776911 or have any opinions on it ?

Does anyone know of anyone in the Glasgow area that could do an inspection on it for a reasonable price?

MCB
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by MCB » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:06 am

Smart looking car. Especially the silver over grey leather.

All I know about it is the fact that it was up for sale when we were looking at the B3 touring three weeks ago. Not sure if that is a bad indication why the car is still for sale! The mileage would not bother us as long as the service history was good. Dont just look at how thick the file is. READ IT before parting with any cash.

As far as running costs go. How long is a piece of string? Although there are a lot of parts that are standard BMW. If it has "Alpina" stamped on it you know the cost will be at a premium. As we just found out. A split in the air intake boot - Air Mass Sensor to Throttle Housing. £15 for the standard BMW part. £107 because it was Alpina specific and we have to wait three weeks for Alpina to supply it. That would be a 5th of your budget gone already!

Oil service. Service 1 and Service 2 will be pretty much standard costs. Once again check the history file and that will give you an idea on how much you should budget for on that kind of thing. It will also show what none service parts have been changed over recent times and what may require changing in the near future. Rubber bushes and the like. These are things that are not easy to check during a viewing. SERVICE HISTORY will be your bible on a car such as this.

Good luck.
1997 E36 Alpina B3 3.2 Touring. No.66
1998 E36 1.8 Touring
1989 E30 M3.
2004 E60 530D
2004 Vauxhall Signum (for the shopping)
2002 E39 M5 (Sold)