Well that was a bloody awkward job!

Rambling from the Sage of Oxford
Charles

Well that was a bloody awkward job!

Post by Charles » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:49 pm

I recently suffered a bird strike - a pigeon lazily flew acroos the A34 into the side of an artic and fell into my path (with nowhere for me to go).

Thankfully the damage was minimal - I lost the RHS piece of trim in the front spoiler - but on assessing the damage I found the air intake "trumpet" sitting in the recess, clearly unattached to the airbox.

Without access to a ramp to remove the undertray, I actually got my hands dirty and removed the top of the airbox and airfilter to gain access down through the bottom of the box.

After much swearing and realisation that my arms simply aren't long enough to reach one hand down inside the airbox and the other up through the gap in the front spoiler, I managed to relocate the trumpet piece onto the airbox with the aid of a small child. I think I managed to remove said child from the darker recesses of the engine bay before closing up but the house is ominously quiet at the moment!

Unfortunatley, the location of the jubillee clip that holds the two together was completely inaccesible from the top, but it does feel like a very firm fit and if it does come apart again, then it will be caught by the undertray.

Interestingly, the trumpet and the extension at the bottom of the airbox are both clearly marked as ALPINA parts - another tweak to the the standard 330i breathing.
Charles
Teacher of Chemistry and driver of ALPINAs - not necessarily in that order ;)
B3S Touring (49/116) - been to the moon and now on the way back!
Renault Grand Espace - not mine but the wife's!

ali
ALPINA
ALPINA

Re: Well that was a bloody awkward job!

Post by ali » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:36 pm

Charles wrote:
Interestingly, the trumpet and the extension at the bottom of the airbox are both clearly marked as ALPINA parts - another tweak to the the standard 330i breathing.
That was a good effort Charles.
It's good to know the extra effort and lengths Alpina go to with their designs
B3 3.3 Coupe #090
D3 2.0 Biturbo Touring #098