Social programming

Ramblings and thoughts from Neil
neil
Administrator
Administrator

Social programming

Post by neil » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:22 pm

I've been thinking this for a while I am a petrol head, I love cars, it's my main vice.

So why am I driving a diesel ?

Why does the idea of big petrol v8 seem so taboo as daily driver?

Sure there is the financial implications but I don't pay for the majority of my fuel, thanks to a company fuel card so not necessarily something I need to worry about.

I don't think I'm alone - look at virtually every new 5-series and its a 520d, same for Audis, etc etc.

Have I been socially programmed or are cars like my 118d, the 520d and of course the D3/D5 just so capable that people don't need more ?

Thoughts ?

castor
AL
AL

Post by castor » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:26 pm

I guess a lot of those cars you are seeing are company or lease cars hence the diesel choice.

Personally I don't mind whats under the bonnet so long as it drives well. My favourite car I've owned was a DC2 Integra which by modern standards in no rocket ship.

Really fast cars can be a bit much for the road - my last car was too fast to enjoy at the normal speeds but the DC2 was fun at lower speeds
#117 Mystic Blue

MickB3
ALPINA
ALPINA

Re: Social programming

Post by MickB3 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:43 pm

neil wrote:I've been thinking this for a while I am a petrol head, I love cars, it's my main vice.

God only knows :twisted:

You sound very much like me, I have no reason at all for a diesel. I do around 5,000 miles a year so do not worry to much about MPG.
My next car will be a V8 and convertible so I can enjoy the soundtrack even more on that one Tuesday evening when summer turns up.

If I had to do lots of miles for work then a diesel would be on the agenda
BUT you hit the nail on the head with the first sentence "Petrolhead" I have never heard anyone refer to themselves as a "Dieselhead" :twisted:
Although I am a Smoker :wink:
E46 B3 3.3 ALPINA

John_C
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by John_C » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:49 pm

Used to be the saying was "People buy power, but they drive torque"

I think it's changed to people buying torque too. A TD just seems like a better fit for day to day driving for a lot of people.

I do expect it to change as turbocharged petrol engines become more and more prevalent (and public opinion notices it) but just at the moment give most people the choice between an NA 2.0 petrol and a 2.0 TD and you'd really have to want the petrol engine to justify it IMO.

MickB3
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by MickB3 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:02 pm

John_C wrote: NA 2.0 petrol and a 2.0 TD and you'd really have to want the petrol engine to justify it IMO.
But I would sooner have a 2.0 Turbo petrol over a 2.0 TD.
Yet I have driven a 335D and thought it was a fantastic car (except the runflats, which have now been removed) 8)
Last edited by MickB3 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
E46 B3 3.3 ALPINA

JASV8S
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by JASV8S » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:11 pm

I also average about 5000 miles per year so the cost of running a V8 over a diesel is probably about £5 - £10 a week at most. Being a man of not too many vices that I spend money on I consider this reasonably good value for the experience.
John
Alpina Blue B10 V8S #54 Saloon
Montreal Red F20 M-Sport
Sparkling Bronze F30 Xdrive (sold)
Titan Silver E90 325iSE (sold)
Blue Mini Cooper (sold)

Philrose
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Philrose » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:47 pm

I run both and if its a long European jaunt then diesel it is. If its a short journey in good weather its the petrol roadster.
"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."

"Never trade luck for skill."

Alpina D3BT - no 364 - Wifeys
Alpina B3S BT cabrio no 235 - Mine
Yes, we have one each

jamesa
ALPINA
ALPINA

Re: Social programming

Post by jamesa » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:32 pm

neil wrote:I've been thinking this for a while I am a petrol head, I love cars, it's my main vice.

Why does the idea of big petrol v8 seem so taboo as daily driver?

Sure there is the financial implications but I don't pay for the majority of my fuel, thanks to a company fuel card so not necessarily something I need to worry about.

I don't think I'm alone - look at virtually every new 5-series and its a 520d, same for Audis, etc etc.

Have I been socially programmed or are cars like my 118d, the 520d and of course the D3/D5 just so capable that people don't need more ?

Thoughts ?
Yes ... not really but depends on what driving experience you prefer and compromise you accept ?

I primarily bought diesel for the torque / towing capability but over the last few years due to not towing petrol has returned :D

That`s not to say an XD3 is out of the question :wink: :wink:
Ex. B10 V8 Touring #160 Alpina Blue : Current M2 DCT (OG)