19th January 2006 - Where's the reality in reality ?

Ramblings and thoughts from Neil
neil
Administrator
Administrator

19th January 2006 - Where's the reality in reality ?

Post by neil » Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:52 am

Ok I'm fed up, have been for a while. The reason ? Simple - reality TV. It's bl**dy everywhere what happened to nights where talented people crafted an evenings entertainment ?

We've got everything from Dancing to Ice skating to Singing to Surviving to ......

What's worse is the so called Celebrity reality shows - which seem even more prevailent - As borne out by the fiasco of this year 'celebrity' big brother.

I have Sky+ don't subscribe to everything (don't bother with Movies or Sport) and most nights I struggle to find anything decent to watch. The BBC for the most part has kept some semblence of quality. ITV is a joke I'm lucky if I watch it once a week (and the viewing figures, don't suggest I'm alone). Channel 4 seems to do alright, mainly through a diet of American comedies...

While we're on the subject whats with all these late night quiz shows - there seems to be literally thousands of them ! Who rings in ? beats me and if they are indicative of the intelligence of our beloved country were knackered...

Ho hum what do you think?

Charles

Post by Charles » Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:51 pm

Slightly left field on this one, but over Christmas my eldest son (who had been studying electrical circuits last term) decided to see what would happen when he placed a paperclip across the leads to one of my speakers - effectively crosswiring and shortcircuiting the system. No surprises when he switched on the amplifier - there was a loud bang, a bad smell and my amp and speakers were no longer.

Thankfully I have an understanding insurance company and they have allowed me to get back into the hifi market afer 20 years away.

My point is this. I agree with you about the general rubbish on the box. There are a couple of programmes I enjoy - Spooks, Waking the Dead, Judge John Deed for example, but generally there is nothing on.

So, courtesy of my new hifi, I am now enjoying listening to my wide range of music and reading the paper in the evenings. So much more relaxing and gives me time to contemplate whether I need all the Sky packages we subscribe to.
Charles
Teacher of Chemistry and driver of ALPINAs - not necessarily in that order ;)
B3S Touring (49/116) - been to the moon and now on the way back!
Renault Grand Espace - not mine but the wife's!

Robertb
ALP
ALP

Post by Robertb » Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:05 pm

For some reason, I really enjoy Waterloo Road (drama about a school up north)- its oddly compelling. I enjoy John Deed too.

I am proud to say I have never ever willfully watched x factor, pop idol, or Bigot Brother. I did watch a few strictly come dancing, but only because some of the lady contestants outfits were worthy of a few moments quiet contemplation.

I tend to spend much of my evening leisure time playing my electric guitar unplugged on the sofa and driving my wife nuts.
Robert

Alpina B3S Cabrio build number 250/288, Titan silver/Imola red. Now with winter hard top!

Chas
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Chas » Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:19 pm

We watch less than 3 hours of telly a week and that's probably on the high side of our average. Neil is right - TV is abysmal these days but in many ways I'm glad about that... It's all to easy to switch it on and veg out but that process now makes me feel like I've wasted an evening - like when you choose a death by chocolate type of pudding and ruin your meal. :cry:

I used to watch nothing except Top Gear / Fifth Gear etc. but even that genre is boring me to tears these days as each one tries to outdo the others with their Clarkson style (isn't that an oxymoron?).

I'm not a football fan so we don't subscribe to anything, although we do have freeview for CBeebies. We enjoy ER and even Big Brother on the odd ocassion (Mrs Chas is a psychologist so there is a professional element to it :? )

As someone pointed out a few weeks ago, there is simply not enough time in the day to do everything we'd like to (I think that was Neil too?) so why the hell would you want to spend the time you do have sitting in front of a screen watching celebrities you've never heard of making an arse of themselves?

At the risk of sounding a pompous old fart, Jade Goody (and everyone who has contributed to her imfamy) would be top of my list of reasons to head to Oz on a permanent basis.

B10BRW
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by B10BRW » Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:04 pm

At last words of reason and sanity about the appalling C**P on television,
they don't call the BBC Blairs Broadcasting Company for nothing, it is so PC it is ridiculous :cry:, and a new programme is a rarity.
I have never watched a Soap or a so called Reality programme in my life,
I have better things do do, such as read a good book or keep the Brain Cells active by doing crosswords. Also I have been known to polish the B10 :D
In the past morons like Goody and her family would be going to OZ, one way ticket courtesy of Her Majesty's Government. :wink:

The frightening thing is that if you are sad enough to watch 8 hours of Commercial TV, you will have sat through over 2 hours of adverts, if I want to watch a programme with adverts in I will record it, so I can fast forward the damn things :!:

These days there are probably only 4 or 5 programmes I would be interested in watching in a week :?

nealpina
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by nealpina » Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:59 pm

B10BRW wrote:if I want to watch a programme with adverts in I will record it, so I can fast forward the damn things :!:
There is a Set-Top-Box that will delete adverts but they will not release it, because of sponsorship (loss revenue) from the advertising companies.

I’m not a real football fan, but I did however purchased Sky HD for the world cup. Since owning Sky HD I now enjoy watching Science and Nature, and Technology programmes to a greater degree. Watching wildlife and sea life in high definition is truly amazing and addictive. Also films in HD are outstanding because of the fine detail of scenery.

I enjoy watching Only Fools and Horses and other classic television shows. Enjoy The Gadget Show, Top Gear, Deals on Wheels, Wheelers Dealers, and other motoring shows. I do also watch Fifth Gear but IMO it is not anywhere near as good as Top Gear. Current Affairs programmes I will also watch.

Some years I will watch Big Brother and some years I have no interest. This year I have been watching Big Brother. I went to Ikea on Thursday and there was no one in the store and the roads were quiet (Could it have been because everyone was watching big brother?). BTW: I Sky+ big brother on Thursday.
Oscar Wilde & Burkard Bovensiepen: I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

ALPINA B3 3.2 Coupe Switch-Tronic ALPINA Blue
ALPINA B10 3.3 Saloon Manual Mora Metallic

Charles

Post by Charles » Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:29 pm

Robertb wrote:I tend to spend much of my evening leisure time playing my electric guitar unplugged on the sofa and driving my wife nuts.
Are these two things connected or do you have two pastimes to look forward to in the evenings?
Charles
Teacher of Chemistry and driver of ALPINAs - not necessarily in that order ;)
B3S Touring (49/116) - been to the moon and now on the way back!
Renault Grand Espace - not mine but the wife's!

KevinB10
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by KevinB10 » Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:30 pm

Neil I agree with your thoughts on current televison programmes. I never watch soaps or reality programmes - I once watched Big Brother to see what the fuss was all about but switched over after a few minutes, just so boring.
I too have Sky+ but only recently wondered is it is worth it. I subcribe to Sky Sports for the football and cricket but otherwise like Charles watch Spooks & Waking the Dead + Life on Mars .
I sometimes watch Discovery or History channel for a documentary.
Kevin

Alpina Jim
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Alpina Jim » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:21 am

I too agree that TV today is virtually a waste of time. Being a mere 48 years old I seriously wonder if todays youngsters actually know what true comedy is all about having grown up watching some of the great classics.

Since getting broadband recently I now find myself watching a lot less tv and wish I had made the move a bit sooner, especially as I now get to visit this site nearly every day :D .

As someone that grew up with nuts and bolts, working on my old Fords almost daily and using dwell meters, timing lights and the like I do find that due to a lack of necessary maintenance on modern vehicles I spend a fair bit of time on my other passion......maintaining / restoring longcase (grandfather) and other clock movements. It makes me use some of my skills of old and stretches my brain at the same time without getting too grubby, cold or ending up with bad backache due to being bent over an engine for hours on end.

Jim
Jim

'98 B10 3.2 #174 in Alpina Blue owned since 13th Sept 2002.

hythe
ALPIN
ALPIN

Post by hythe » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:36 am

KevinB10 wrote:Neil I agree with your thoughts on current televison programmes. I never watch soaps or reality programmes - I once watched Big Brother to see what the fuss was all about but switched over after a few minutes, just so boring.
I too have Sky+ but only recently wondered is it is worth it. I subcribe to Sky Sports for the football and cricket but otherwise like Charles watch Spooks & Waking the Dead + Life on Mars .
I sometimes watch Discovery or History channel for a documentary.

There are occasionally some fascinating shows on the History channels, in amongst all the Nazi dross...

As for reality shows, I'd generally agree that they're a waste of space, the celebrity ones being the worst. Some are more useless than others, though - The Biggest Loser was okay, but then I'm biased since my friend won it!

In truth, these days, our most-watched channels are Nick Jr and Playhouse Disney... Sadly, I know all the theme tunes to all the shows...
2016 D3 #296
2012 Range Rover

Former:
2005 B5 Touring #007
1996 B8 4.6 Touring #014
2011 1M Coupe

jezza
A
A

Post by jezza » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:22 am

Ooops, accidental post.
2000 ALPINA B10 V8
2000 E39 540i (sold)
1989 E34 535i Sport (sold)
E21 323i (sold)

Petrolhead
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Petrolhead » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:25 am

Above post was me, forgot to log in as myself, sorry!

Anyway, I have to agree with the general concensus, that most of these reality TV shows are complete rubbish.
Admittedly, I used to like the first Celebrity Big Brother, only because it had Jack Dee in it. I didn't actually like the show, just him! This new one, however, I haven't even bothered with. I did have a look once to see if there were any actual celebrities on there, and I only recognised two of them, who were (embarrassingly) the singers from S Club 7 and Steps. Surely they can come up with some better people than that?

I find myself watching less TV these days too. If I do watch something, it's almost always Top Gear or something on the Discovery channel, such as American Chopper or Mythbusters (Which is entertaining and educational I'll have you know )

Someone mentioned youngsters not knowing what true comedy is? Well, yesterday, I watched an hour solid of Tommy Cooper, and I liked the two Ronnies too. Lee Evans I really enjoy watching too, although he's not classic... yet!
My Website!

"If you don't feel out of control, you're not driving fast enough." - Mario Andretti

neil
Administrator
Administrator

Post by neil » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:33 am

Petrolhead wrote:Above post was me, forgot to log in as myself, sorry!
Yeah I thought you dad was clinging onto his Youth, or you'd posted as him by accident !

rcshott
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by rcshott » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:18 pm

Sounds the same across the planet!!!

I watch ABC 3 hours a week until F1 & V8's come on...other wise read the Finincial review, BMW car, or a good book. Plus, now in retirement I get on the net a bit & have also written two books & planing two more. TV SUCKS...PERIOD & I WILL NOT PAY TO WATCH REPEATS!!! 8)