The joys of dealing with insurance companies

Rambling from the Sage of Oxford
Charles

The joys of dealing with insurance companies

Post by Charles » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:54 pm

Some of you may recall the incident we had with the AuPair's car back in February.

Anyway, things are still dragging on and a court date has now been set in January to prove our case against the third party and their insurers. Happy with this as I wasn't prepared to accept a split settlement on blame - particularly as it would hit future renewals, depsite a protected NCB.

Anyway:

- the good news is that my insurers have said the economics of the case mean that they would prefer not to go to court, so they have asked me to accept an 80/20 split in my favour in return for full reinstatement of my NCB. In their letter they state that they believe we would have won the case! This will cost me about £160, which is cheaper than the cost of flying the AuPair back from Germany to be a witness at court, so this is probably going to be acceptable to me.

- the bad news is that it is renewal time and the price has gone up (even after allowing for removal of the AuPair from the multicar policy) :evil:

A little check online - involving applying for a policy in my wife's name rather than my own (for exactly the same cover arrangements on all three cars) results in a saving of almost £200 on the renewal price - so we are heading in the right direction.

However, I am still trying to work out how, when I have not made a claim for myself, that the premium for the B3S has jumped from £160 to £380, at the same time as my wife (who has had her photo taken once this year and had a carpark ding) has seen the premium on the Espace drop from £450 to £350.

My guess is that they just make it up as they go along and hope you don't check :evil:
Charles
Teacher of Chemistry and driver of ALPINAs - not necessarily in that order ;)
B3S Touring (49/116) - been to the moon and now on the way back!
Renault Grand Espace - not mine but the wife's!

John_C
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by John_C » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:27 pm

Law unto themselves.... I was shocked at the quotes I got back for a b10 v8 I was looking at, same address, same value, no accidents or points, yet nearly double what I was paying for my last B10 a couple of years ago. Just don't get it.

JPR89
ALP
ALP

Post by JPR89 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:58 pm

And they wonder why so many people aren't taking up driving as quickly as they used to. Simple, people just can't afford to be on road.

Oh and also can anyone guess why "fronting" has become such an issue these days.. rant over as it has no relation to your gripe Charles :lol:

"However, I am still trying to work out how, when I have not made a claim for myself, that the premium for the B3S has jumped from £160 to £380" - Means they must be a bit short on business this month.
James - Former E39 B10 V8 owner #838.
Currently: E90 330i

Charles

Post by Charles » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:32 pm

Just to update, I have renewed with Admiral and they have honoured the "new business" price that I got by applying for an identical policy quote in my wife's name rather than mine.

Interesting how new business gets a 20% discount, rather than thanking a loyal returning customer :evil:

Still not happy with the hike on the B3S but then again, I did think that £160 was too cheap last year :shock: Apparently the rating has changed but they can't possibly discuss price sensitive information. When I pointed out that, as far as I am aware, all 8 B3S Tourings in the UK haven't had any major claims made against them in the last twelve months, this seemed to fall on deaf ears ...

The good news is that Admiral have honoured their gesture and reinstated my NCB on the Megane accident - meaning that all three incidents this year are treated as "No Fault".

So, in summary, we are paying about £350 for the B3S, £360 for the Espace and £140 for the Megane. Not too shabby really :D
Charles
Teacher of Chemistry and driver of ALPINAs - not necessarily in that order ;)
B3S Touring (49/116) - been to the moon and now on the way back!
Renault Grand Espace - not mine but the wife's!

Grant Maxwell

Post by Grant Maxwell » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:34 pm

For 12 years I've used the broker 'Towergate Wilson' they've always looked after me well!

Previously had Corinthian, but this year for the first time it's with AXA