The forum is back, and so is the B6

The place to talk about ALPINAs.
e.g. News, Reviews, Insurance, Warranties, Running Costs, Sightings, general questions etc.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

MichaelC
AL
AL

The forum is back, and so is the B6

Post by MichaelC » Tue May 07, 2019 7:40 pm

On the same day!

New discs, pads and pipes.

Bushes.

Lower oil sump.

Sub frame tidied up (evidence of early onset of rust) and fresh protection from the ravages of the world.

Oh, gulp, and in the end we decided on a new supercharger.

Good to be back!

WINNE1
ALPI
ALPI

Re: The forum is back, and so is the B6

Post by WINNE1 » Tue May 07, 2019 7:58 pm

What mileage is it done for all that?
B6 convertible 4.4 black with silver decals .
B5 saloon 4.4 black with silver decals .

neil
Administrator
Administrator

Post by neil » Wed May 08, 2019 7:58 am

Sounds a very thorough - nice to see some tlc being showered on such a great car

MichaelC
AL
AL

Post by MichaelC » Wed May 08, 2019 3:08 pm

60K mileage.

Given the car is thirteen years old but in super condition it is worth keeping it that way.

The early onset of corrosion has been nipped in the bud and now that all has been remedied as it should be, the car should be good on that front for another thirteen years.

The supercharger change wasn't on the agenda to begin with.

But, having established that all the bearings were worn, action needed to be taken because oil was beginning to leak. Given the mechanical nature of the supercharger it seemed criminal to simply throw the old away and replace with new. However, sourcing parts to rebuild the supercharger became a pita, especially identifying the necessary bearings/housing. Sadly Alpina and ASA would not go into that detail. In the end I took the view let's simply replace the supercharger for a brand new unit.

On the agenda next year is a refurbishment of the wheels and a little bit of leather restoration to the drivers seat where the side lumbar has a small area of damage...

PhillV8S
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by PhillV8S » Wed May 08, 2019 4:18 pm

Good to see you have got the B6 back. Where did you get the supercharger from in the end and what was the cost?
I am about to pull the trigger on new shocks etc, just waiting for the MOT at the weekend to make sure there are no “suprises” popping up.
Are you coming to any meets this year?
Range Rover SDV8.
E64 B6s #100 Cabriolet (Now Sold)
Maserati Gransport

MichaelC
AL
AL

Post by MichaelC » Thu May 09, 2019 12:01 am

After much discussion I decided to go through official channels for the supercharger. I could have sourced a new supercharger from the continent but ultimately decided to go via the proper channels, Sytner confirmed the part number, and it was ordered by Walkers via Vines BMW. Cost, approximately £4K plus VAT.

Norrie was talking of a meet in June in Horsham, I think, it falls on a Sunday which could for once work for me. As for other meets, the dates thus far just haven’t been working for me what with children duties, holidays etc.

Bebs
ALPI
ALPI

Post by Bebs » Sat May 11, 2019 3:50 pm

£4800 for a new charger! Ouch... I paid £2200 inc vat for mine in 2016 from a Dutch main dealer. It’s the same part whether it comes from the UK bmw network or the Dutch bmw network.. they all get it from the alpina factory... unfortunately BMW UK appear to think it’s ok to add a 100% mark up.
B5 Touring (now sold)| 360 Modena| Granturismo S | Smart4two